Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:58:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685059
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tsuba new Freikorps  (Read 31448 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tsuba new Freikorps
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
Babylon Berlin is a touch after the heyday of the Spartacists and the Freikorps, but well demonstrates the political tensions that continued to plague Germany.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »
Just watched the first six episodes of Babylon Berlin yesterday. While true that it's a decade later, the attention to details and uniforms is magnificent.

For what I've seen in photo's,  the Freikorps in Berlin used Garford Putilov, Izhorski-Fiat, Austin and at leat one modified Lancia armoured cars.

If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2018, 09:21:03 AM »
I have discovered that Brigade games make some suitable decals for this period.

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/RCW-White-Skulls-Decals_p_3566.html

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2018, 07:21:09 PM »
Anecdotes such as the one about revolutionaries delaying occupation of a building until the proper authorization was obtained and about revolutionaries respecting "keep off the grass" signs makes one wonder whether or not there was a critical mass of Germans who were temperamentally suited to revolution.

All I can think of is the old (probably apocryphal) Lenin jape about "There will never be a revolution in Germany. The Germans will only storm a railway station if they have first queued to buy a platform ticket."

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2018, 08:00:03 PM »
Many thanks to Roly for the tip off about Babylon Berlin. It’s very good and I’ve been binge watching it for mch of the week. The only irritation is the god awful dubbed voices. Why they couldn’t have gone with subtitles bears me, Netflix have done it before. It’s nice to see another take on Ernst Gennat as a character.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »
When we saw it on Netflix we had it with subtitles.

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2018, 01:21:58 AM »
Many thanks to Roly for the tip off about Babylon Berlin. It’s very good and I’ve been binge watching it for mch of the week. The only irritation is the god awful dubbed voices. Why they couldn’t have gone with subtitles bears me, Netflix have done it before. It’s nice to see another take on Ernst Gennat as a character.

I'm afraid you're showing your age Carlos ;) If you are watching it on Netflix you can toggle German audio with English subtitles on or off in the little menu that pops up when you pause. It is a much better way to watch the show too in my opinion.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2018, 01:25:14 AM »
All I can think of is the old (probably apocryphal) Lenin jape about "There will never be a revolution in Germany. The Germans will only storm a railway station if they have first queued to buy a platform ticket."

My visit to Frankfurt a few years back had me open-mouthed with shock and awe as the locals lined up and waited at the cross walk until the lights changed - DESPITE THE FACT THAT THERE WERE NO CARS VISIBLE IN ANY DIRECTION!!!

On a fine early autumn afternoon, NO-ONE PLAYED A CAR STEREO WITH THE WINDOW ROLLED DOWN!!!

All the garbage cans were lined up neatly at precisely the same distance from the curb.

It's true. Germans love doing what they are told.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2018, 09:22:59 AM »
”It's true. Germans love doing what they are told.”

Truth be told, most people do. It’s how societies function to a large extent.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2018, 09:40:35 AM »
 ;)
exactly

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2018, 10:21:47 AM »
By the by, not all Germans received the memo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VdsPft_uaNg

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
Nena Hagen was born in East Germany, under the SED regime. Any questions ? :D ;)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »
My visit to Frankfurt a few years back had me open-mouthed with shock and awe as the locals lined up and waited at the cross walk until the lights changed - DESPITE THE FACT THAT THERE WERE NO CARS VISIBLE IN ANY DIRECTION!!!
Also in Austria. I once crossed the street with red lights. Same situation: no traffic at all. People gave me bad looks as if I had just stabbed an old lady.  :D :D

Back on topic: I read the other day, i think on the BoB FB group, about the Belgian Armoured Car detachment that ended up on the Eastern Front. Apparently one Minerva car was captured by the Germans and it is said it was used in 1919 Berlin.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:23:56 PM by area23 »

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2018, 04:49:42 PM »
FWIW, this - waiting for the lights to change in spite of the absence of traffic - happens in Sweden, too, or did when I was there a long time ago. There may be a law about it, but I'm not sure.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »
Looking around for any event which might have sparked a division of the German army and conflict with well armed paramilitaries, I started reading on the topic of a possible restoration of the monarchy. Kaiser Wilhelm was certainly interested. And I wonder how much of the German army might have supported a coup to restore the Kaiser in the early 1920's.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) for Kaiser Wilhelm, the idea of a restoration was not generally popular in Germany. That lack of popularity might have been enough to divide the country into a civil war that might have lasted a couple of years, or at least until France and Britain put a stop to it.

As an alternative to Kaiser Wilhelm or one of his sons, Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria was possibly the most popular of the previous German royal families, and might have served as a focal point for an attempt at restoring a monarchy.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 08:44:10 AM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!