Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tsuba new Freikorps  (Read 31578 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Tsuba new Freikorps
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Crown-Prince Wilhelm might be (was even) the focus of anti-Weimar intrigue. He was a Stalhelm member and Hitler visited him on occasion.

Something set in 1926 might have legs; well before Hitler has any real power and before Wilhelm realises restoring the monarchy is not in Hitler's plans and after the failure of the 1926 Referendum.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2018, 09:17:29 PM »
My skepticism about building a decent, balanced campaign for this period (and indeed the whole 1890-1930 era) battles with how damned nice the Paul Hicks figures are to look at!

My latest hair-brained pipe dream is how I could use the Hicks / Empress Royal Navy figures in a German Revolution campaign. Perhaps Capt Sir Seamus Bond RN (James Bond's father) sets out to rescue Rosa Luxemburg from the Freikorps for Lloyd George to use her cunningly as a double-agent to undermine Lenin....... 

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »
It is a dilemma, I know. However if you dig a little there are some close calls. If it's before 1935 you can rule out the new breed of AFVs and include things like the Leichttraktor and Lanchester 6x4, alongside older vehicles.

The French and Belgians occupied the Ruhr in 1923-25 and the Ruhr was occupied by the British and French until 1930 in addition. German rearmament actually got serious from 1928.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2018, 11:05:08 PM »
I doubt the British would try to rescue Rosa Luxemburg or any other "Reds."  They had already intervened against the Bolshies and feared the spread of Revolution.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2018, 04:24:20 AM »
I'm afraid you're showing your age Carlos ;) If you are watching it on Netflix you can toggle German audio with English subtitles on or off in the little menu that pops up when you pause. It is a much better way to watch the show too in my opinion.

Cheers Jack! Nic told me you had the solution. Alas, I’m only 33 ;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »
If you want to try out the Reichswehr and its toys, you might be better off looking at the Poles as potential opponents. The General Staff actively planned and trained for war against the Poles.  Makes for an interesting reversal of roles, an aggressive and rather authoritarian Poland, whose military far exceeds Germany’s in terms of men and materiel against a democratic Germany, waging a defensive war.

If you are interested in the period, I’d urge you to get hold of a copy of James Corum’s excellent study of the Reichswehr, The Roots of Blitzkrieg: Hans von Seeckt and German Military Reform.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2018, 07:27:31 AM »
Thanks, but I'm guessing it's full of those fact things and they ruin everything.

Poland is indeed a good option and the French were aghast when the Poles were pushing for a Pre-emptive attack on Germany in the Mid-30s.

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2018, 01:25:30 PM »
Thanks, but I'm guessing it's full of those fact things and they ruin everything.

Poland is indeed a good option and the French were aghast when the Poles were pushing for a Pre-emptive attack on Germany in the Mid-30s.

Not a widely known fact.

Would have been a good idea in some ways. OTOH, even if the attack were successful and Hitler removed, the German extreme right nationalists would simply have become stronger and more resolute. Indeed, it was the predominant political force in Germany after 1930 - with or without Hitler.

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2018, 02:56:36 PM »
A book I always find useful for mid 1930s German uniforms, it includes military, police and various paramilitary uniforms.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
And besides the Poles, you can fight in the Baltics :  assist the Finnish Whites against the Finnish Red Guard in the 1918-19 civil war (the Finnish Jaeger Battalion, which had fought for the Germans in WW 1, returned home to fight for the Whites; various German elements under von der Goltz supported the Whites);  in concert with Estonian and Latvian forces, fight Bolshevik troops invading the "Baltic Dukedom" (Estonia and Latvia); fight against the Latvians in their war for independence.     

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVi3-PrQ0pY

;)

Good one! :)

But some of us are partly constrained by our preference for history. If I decide to paint up a unit of Hydra's Retro Raygun Valkeeries, I might have to pit them against a historical unit of 1919 freikorps, just to keep things rooted in history... ;)
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
Would have been a good idea in some ways. OTOH, even if the attack were successful and Hitler removed, the German extreme right nationalists would simply have become stronger and more resolute. Indeed, it was the predominant political force in Germany after 1930 - with or without Hitler.

The Poles didn't have a 'Hitler Problem' as such, just that they knew that they would be fighting the Germans sooner or later and better to do it before they re-armed fully. Poland had been partly carved out of Germany after all and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to predict they would want some or all of it back, whoever was in charge.

Like the Six Day War in latter times, the idea was to give a severe thrashing out, so as to make the idea unthinkable to future German leaders; we all know how that worked out for the Israelis though.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2018, 04:51:26 PM »
If you are going to fight in the 1930's then the Freikorps (and/or late WW 1 German) figures aren't suitable.  Fine for conflicts into the early 1920's.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2018, 09:47:26 PM »
Indeed, although as nobody does the Weimar style uniform, they could be the basis of conversion, at least you have the right tin hats.