Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tsuba new Freikorps  (Read 31555 times)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tsuba new Freikorps
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2018, 11:13:48 PM »
Due to the breast pockets on the Reichheer uniform, might be better off using early war WW II in light equipment :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClLmis2UkAAx_nk.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/2d/dd/312dddfe3097a59b6d74106e94d32659.jpg

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2018, 12:46:16 AM »
I think I'd rather add breast pockets and have the WWI style helmet. The MG13 being the standard LMG until the MG34 appeared is more of an issue and indeed later figures have the Kar 98, rather than the long Mauser.

Anachronistic perhaps, but the Freikorps look the part of 'not WWII Germans'.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2018, 02:45:12 AM »
I ran into the same trouble when creating my '35-'37 Nazi pulp force, and I really did try to get serious about historical accuracy as a fun sort of challenge.

While I ended up heavily converting a fair number of figures from scratch, sculpting entire M36 German uniforms over some plainer Copplestone figures (really there aren't many differences between the original M33 tunic and the M36 which formed the standard until WWII began the process of simplification), I did end up with a wild mix of figures. I also built my own MG 34 on tripod and sculpted a MP 34 for my Feldwebel.

I did give in and allowed some minor anachronisms like a couple of MP38's, which were TECHNICALLY issued in VERY small numbers in '37 for testing (though as I have not painted the force yet, in theory I could still convert them... it's the one thing which still bugs me). I also used early WWII bits for the non-weapon kit (from WG's Blitzkrieg early war Germans sprue), which I THINK were mostly indistinguishable from earlier equipment when viewed at 28mm scale (WWI and WWII canteens barely show any difference - if at all, for example).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
If you need an excuse for freikorps Germans, apart from the Baltics I think they also were present in the Ukraine after the Brest-Litovsk treaty.  They 'may' have been fighting white nationalists,  Makhno's Cossack anarchists, bolsheviks. From there it's a small step to the Back of Beyond. A small detachment may have ended up as mercenaries in the Caucasus, the Crimea and further.  ;)
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »
If you need an excuse for freikorps Germans, apart from the Baltics I think they also were present in the Ukraine after the Brest-Litovsk treaty.  They 'may' have been fighting white nationalists,  Makhno's Cossack anarchists, bolsheviks. From there it's a small step to the Back of Beyond. A small detachment may have ended up as mercenaries in the Caucasus, the Crimea and further.  ;)

I mean, Copplestone even has a pack of Freikorps-looking "German mercenaries" in his BoB range.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »
Yeah I know. I also painted the Germans in tropical helmets as a rather fantastical unit. I tried to convert the Turks into freikorps but that proved to be an insane project, so I'm glad Tsuba released these.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2018, 03:11:01 AM »
Do any of you use the Pulp Figures late WW1 Germans as freikorps?
Sailors have more fun!

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
Do any of you use the Pulp Figures late WW1 Germans as freikorps?

Sure, Great War Miniatures has also suitable Germans with light equipment

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »
In terms of alternative history World War One - the "revolutionary sailors" would be perfectly good as Imperial German sailors with perhaps a couple of officer types to be added.

I could imagine them defending the legation in Peking or some other exotic location. Or raiding some seaside village in England or France to kidnap a VIP.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
In terms of alternative history World War One - the "revolutionary sailors" would be perfectly good as Imperial German sailors with perhaps a couple of officer types to be added.

I could imagine them defending the legation in Peking or some other exotic location. Or raiding some seaside village in England or France to kidnap a VIP.

Yes. I was thinking of a German version of the "Sand Pebbles" set in about 1912 to 1914, featuring the, SMS Otter, recently arrived on the Yangtze. Wouldn't use the submachine guns or MG-08/15 for that. Might work up a scenario loosely based on the 1926 Wanshien incident (look up HMS Cockchafer).

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »

Or, if boring old history is your thing, intervening against Venezuela and Morocco in 1902 and 1911 respectively.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2018, 12:54:31 AM »
I know this isn't perhaps the right board but you could always inject some pulp/mythos with German sailors during the war stumbling on a forgotten island/abandoned ship and investigating.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2018, 07:51:03 AM »
I know this isn't perhaps the right board but you could always inject some pulp/mythos with German sailors during the war stumbling on a forgotten island/abandoned ship and investigating.

Facts beats fiction  ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Emden

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »
Perhaps Capt Sir Seamus Bond RN (James Bond's father) sets out to rescue Rosa Luxemburg from the Freikorps for Lloyd George to use her cunningly as a double-agent to undermine Lenin.......

I believe that almost happened, but his son went instead and got the wrong Rosa. The encounter changed his views on room service for good, apparently.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »
Yes, she had her kicks.  ;)