Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:17:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Buying the farm - 6mm Cold War scenery project ( 29-9-2019 Machine Shop)  (Read 7403 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Re: Buying the farm - 6mm Cold War scenery project (update 26-9-2019 Feed Bunker)
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
Fantastic work! If you end up playing in another scale, I'll put all that 6mm terrain to good use if you send it my way ;)

Wishful thinking :P

Feed Bunker 2 finished, also a complete scratchbuild. Making the tires took forever and caused quite a bit of lasting discomfort to my hands, so I won't be repeating that anytime soon.

Plenty of mistakes made, but lessons learned with this one.
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Buying the farm - 6mm Cold War scenery project ( 27-9-2019 2nd Feed Bunker)
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
really cool  :-*

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »
 Awesome stuff!  :-*
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2019, 06:13:26 PM »
How did you do the tires?  My guess is two sizes of hole punch, but I’d love to hear of an easier way.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
vERY REALISTIC WORK :-* :-* :-*

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »
How did you do the tires?  My guess is two sizes of hole punch, but I’d love to hear of an easier way.

Looks good - but yes, look after your hands!

Easiest way I can think of is filling/sanding the end of styrene tubing (to get the smooth curves) and then slicing a doughnut-shaped piece of and gluing the unsanded (i.e. cut) side to the tarp.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2019, 11:36:29 PM »
Thx guys. About the wheels, I used a old Airfix tanks sprue that had a load of sort of correct size (more truck than car tires) end caps. Drilled them fully through, mounted them on toothpicks, snipped the tops off of them, and sanded everything to make a bit more wheel like, and after that used a tipped file to do the same for the insides.

So yes, a ton of work and not fun on my hands, such is life.

I'm actually a bit pissed that after starting 6mm 10 years ago (or is it longer) and seeing requests for civillian cars and trucks over and over., leaving it for a couple of years and now back in....there is still no one making them and I'm considering asking friends with 3D printers just to print up a bunch of them so I can trash them. I like nice scenery, I like to spend time on my models and scenery.....but I need something to start with first.

Now, what to build after I finish the farm.......

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2019, 12:24:19 AM »
I really want civilian cars in 6mm but for various periods and locales. Starting with 1920s and 30s vehicles for WWII in Europe, then a set of 1950s and 60s for Junta, both European and US models. Think of what you would see in SE Asia, Africa, North and South America on the roads. Then another set with European, Japanese and US models from the 1990s, through 2010s especially SUVs and Mercedes carrying "high value targets", contractors or the local dictator for life. I think the last group should be split between American and other sources in order to adjust for where they would be used. I could see them in any of the above mentioned locales, plus Cold War gone hot, Eastern European hot spots and the currently popular Zombie uprising or past apocalyptic games.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2019, 12:26:36 AM »
Now, what to build after I finish the farm.......

A supermarket. Or dock section?

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
A supermarket. Or dock section?

Well, I'm focussing on what is there in Germany atm.  Dock sections, not high on the wanted list. Canal however. Same goes for Autobahn or railyard. I think I will aim at a small/medium factory with a yard first, or a small village. Will depend on how much I can sell at the Crisis show to stock up on funds.

Offline batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2019, 10:28:15 PM »
Whatever you decide to do next ... can't wait to see it ;)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2019, 01:16:53 AM »
I think I will aim at a small/medium factory with a yard first, or a small village.

If this were my project, I'd probably focus on a small village as my next point. It wouldn't be odd to see a small village in close proximity to an agricultural complex, and all of the buildings used for a small village would be useful as the village expands to a town. I'd probably start by looking at the Timecast [http://www.timecastmodels.co.uk/range_23/range_23.html]Modern European Buildings[/url] range and grabbing  the 'Shops and Offices', the 'German Supermarket and Shops', the 'Petrol Station/Gas Station' and maybe a handful of houses? This would go a long way towards representing a village on the tabletop without requiring a dozen minis.

The other consideration would be to focus on an Industrial sector. Looking at your plans for the large farm buildings, most should fit in an industrial setting with some appropriate set dressing without much difficulty. A handful of red brick warehouses and some appropriate storage tanks will go a long way towards shifting the agricultural buildings to an industrial setting. Again, not to push TimeCast, but there are some fantastic industrial units in the TimeCast Modern European Buildings range. Just 2 or 3 of the units plus some chemical storage tanks would really look the part.

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • 20mm and then some
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2019, 08:13:41 PM »
Yeah, I like Timecast, but they haven't become cheaper over the years, poor wallet of mine. But their German shops in a row, and hosues etc, with a fuel station in between should be a nice start. Also, a older German red brick factory of sorts would be nice....not sure yet what kind of factory though. Not a fan of those simple pastic cars though, maybe for a scrapyard or something.

Anyhoo....6mm is so much fun to spruce up :) Repair shop finished for my farm set. It's the Leven IND16 Joinery shop, but now functions as a tool and repair shed. Container is from Old Crow, junk in the back is from various bits from the sparesbox, and the barrels (which you can hardly see) are from Heroics and Ross ( I think)

Still clueless how to do other stuff like a Autobahn or even decent roads, but hey, I'll build that bridge when I get there.

I've got a ton more pics on my Blog, in case you are interested :) >> https://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/2019/09/buying-farm-machine-shop-finished.html

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
Re: Buying the farm - 6mm Cold War scenery project ( 29-9-2019 Machine Shop)
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2019, 09:09:09 PM »
Leven have this 'Large Garage' in their Commercial range. I can easily see this filling the role of a small factory?

There's also the 'Factory/Warehouse', 'Large Factory' and 'Warehouse' from Leven's Industrial range. Between the four pieces that will make a decent start on an industrial sector? Maybe some stacked ISO containers and even a loading dock?

The other option could be to look at Gamecraft's modern range. The Home Depot Store is an acrylic core with a resin faceplate that looks like a large modern commercial building. By removing the 'Home Depot' raised letters off the resin you've got what could easily be the front of a factory. The dimensions are given as 178mm (w) x 127mm (d) x 41mm (h) so it will definitely be a significantly dominating piece of terrain on your table.

As for roads... I'm lazy and just use the Hotz paved and dirt roads. Please excuse the bare roadside, we're still building our 6mm terrain.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

How do you go about your bases? Are they just plasticard cut to size and sanded? Do you do anything to texture the dirt/bare parts of the base or is it just paint and pigments?

Oh, and cracking work on that next piece by the way.