Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:18:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chaos Army  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
Chaos Army
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »
After many years not playing or looking at GW, for multiple reasons (playing historicals, mainly), I got a birthday box in the post last Friday with some chaos bits as the only thing that interests me is chaos, really.

Only going to do warbands and things I find interesting. Theres no chance of my collecting 2000 points, writing a list or doing any of that stuff - purely hobby driven and narrative small actions.

First up is a Great Unclean One, which I boshed out in about an hour and a bit, spread throughout the day as I could

Did a minor amount of reposing the sword and added the hood - one, for my background to the character. Two, because they all looked so bloody jolly! I want DOOM, not mirth.

Then, grabbing 30-40 mins in the evening when I can, I've knocked these out between Monday and today

Thats part one done - next is the marine warband to go alongside these.

Will be using the same palette but switched around a bit (I'm trying a very limited palette of colours, mixing where I need to make a colour thats not in the range I've selected). They take a bit longer as the models have to have a lot of work cutting all of the clutter and overdetailing off.

Proper photos and full background will go up on my blog when I get the opportunity to take some! There's going to be a small campaign next year, most likely. Depends.

https://themosquitoonthetenthfloor.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:20:48 AM by Kitsune »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Chaos Army
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
Looking good so far.

And by good, I mean disgusting and repulsive (but stating that about someone's paintjob is just not very nice).

The conversion of the Greater Daemon is excellent; obvious, but still subtle.

Please keep it up, as I find myself in the same situation:

I have not played a game of 40K or WHFB for almost a decade, but lately, I've found myself drawn back to the settings for some reason. Just this week, I pulled out my Dark Imperium box, and took out the Nurgle sprues, with the intent of building a force for Killteam, as I feel that game might be just the thing to get back into 40K.

So far, I've assembled and based half the zombie types and one Plague Marine, but the set is lacking heavy weapons, so now I'm temped to also get me the First Strike box, as I believe there's one in there, and the marines are all different from the ones in the big box.

Come to think of it, I also still have a bunch of old metal Plaguebearers with a basic paintjob lying around, so I'm pretty close to having enough bodies to start spreading Papa Nurgle's love.

Gesundheid...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:36:53 AM »
Cheers! I'm not sure what quite got me interested again.........possibly years of knocking out historical armies, combined with kill team made me think "a small themed force will be fine".

Although we're not actually playing kill team and going down the INQ28 route (which I enjoyed, but didn't participate in, back in the day) of much more open gaming and relative freedom with less of the "GW dogma". As I'm likely to be the one who will be driving the gaming and such, its easy for me to say that haha.

Plaguebearers are a doddle really - sprayed them dark green, "highlight" sprayed them khaki from above.....paint the swords and gore. Added a red shade under the armpits, arse crack and such. Wash in greens and browns. Done in about an hour :)

Which Plaguebearers do you have? The current plastics are quite good, which surprises me. Took the paints quite well.

Deliberately being a bit more free and easy with the paint too, as I'm not huge on the current "super layered crystal clean" style that GW seem to have. John Blanche is more my take on the painting now. Also - its quick!

This has ALWAYS been my view of what the nurgle forces look like:

I'll try and get some quick snaps of each unit, then get onto proper pics with the backdrop when I do the background for each warband.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:40:37 AM by Kitsune »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
Which Plaguebearers do you have?

I have some prety old metal ones. I don't think they're the oldest versions, but those that came out around 2000, 2001?

They're undercoated white, washed with green and brown, and I picked out some sores and pustules with pink and bone. It was a very quick paintjob, as we simply needed some daemons in a hurry for an RPG campaign we were playing. I believe I did them up in two hours tops.

They're still in storage in one case or another, but I'm sure there's ample room for improvement ::)

Deliberately being a bit more free and easy with the paint too, as I'm not huge on the current "super layered crystal clean" style that GW seem to have. John Blanche is more my take on the painting now. Also - its quick!

Couldn't agree more. Back in the day, as far as painting was concerned, Nurgle forces were considered the perfect entry level army, because they could be painted sloppily, and it wouldn't matter. In fact, sloppiness only added to the look; dirty, sloppy, runny, caked, you name it; if it's nasty, foul and 'wrong', it fit.

Then again; if you wanted to go to town on all the niggly little details, Nurgle was your papa uncle too, as there is so much to pick out on those minis.

For some reason, Nurgle was always my least favourite Chaos god though; I always preferred Tzeentch or even Khorne. But having a perpetually snot nosed 5 year old running around the house, I now feel the warm embrace of the many gifts of Papa Nurgle much more often than before, so perhaps that's what eventually drew me in... lol

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 11:31:13 AM »

They're undercoated white, washed with green and brown, and I picked out some sores and pustules with pink and bone. It was a very quick paintjob, as we simply needed some daemons in a hurry for an RPG campaign we were playing. I believe I did them up in two hours tops.

Its always the case with painting - if its painted, at least with the minimum, then you can always go back and rework things up to a better level with relative ease. On the mythical "one day" when it all comes together, I'll probably go back and tidy everything up......................yeah.........

Couldn't agree more. Back in the day, as far as painting was concerned, Nurgle forces were considered the perfect entry level army, because they could be painted sloppily, and it wouldn't matter. In fact, sloppiness only added to the look; dirty, sloppy, runny, caked, you name it; if it's nasty, foul and 'wrong', it fit.

I think my current "don't fuss too much" is probably a reaction to painting historicals, where it at least needs to be reasonably tidy and neat - although mine still look pretty campaigned :) Fantasy/Sci-Fi is a wider scope for trying different things and ways.

For some reason, Nurgle was always my least favourite Chaos god though; I always preferred Tzeentch or even Khorne. But having a perpetually snot nosed 5 year old running around the house, I now feel the warm embrace of the many gifts of Papa Nurgle much more often than before, so perhaps that's what eventually drew me in... lol

Khorne was my boy, always. I had a HUGE Khorne army for WFB with mortals, demons and beasts in there, but over the years gave away, sold off, binned or gave away nigh all of it except my demons, which I'm too attached to ever get rid of. They'll be hauled out of deep freeze and given a rebase/once over when the Red time comes, along with some other followers added.

Open plan is a warband for each of the gods, in turn and as I fancy it. Nurgle seemed easiest for opening with and getting the ideas behind the new painting style, limited palette and quick converting on the go, as a mistake isn't a mistake.......nah, its a blessed corruption of Nurgle and supposed to be like that :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:59:32 AM by Kitsune »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »
Nice conversion and painting - as an old Nurgle player I get it.

(You guys are speaking my language, bought a few boxes of Tau (never had this army) for Kill Team as I had some unpainted Kroot in the mountain...) and yeah - I'm loving this whole vibe I had when I first got into the hobby.

Looking forward to more of your stuff.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
Nice conversion and painting - as an old Nurgle player I get it.

(You guys are speaking my language, bought a few boxes of Tau (never had this army) for Kill Team as I had some unpainted Kroot in the mountain...) and yeah - I'm loving this whole vibe I had when I first got into the hobby.

Looking forward to more of your stuff.

Cheers! It probably was kill team that triggered my looking at 40K again - small actions has always been my preference in that, over the Epic in 28mm it seems to have turned into. A few people seem to be having the same thoughts :)

Although - typically - we're not going to use the kill team rules, but more free form with Inquisimunda and small points 8th edition. I have no intention of buying a rulebook though.........narrative, scenario, atmosphere and logistics is my preference. Scoping over rulebooks? Someone else can deal with that haha

Know what you mean about The Vibe - I'm very deliberately riffing on the things I always wanted to do, back in the day, except with the experience now to actually be able to deliver them :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:05:23 PM by Kitsune »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
Right there with you guys; 40K feels like fun again, where it hadn't for the longest of times...  :)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 02:25:14 PM »
I spent the other weekend playing a few games of 40k with friends. I wouldn't argue its suddenly a good game...but it's not a bad game. It spretty streamlined now and its fun pushing the guys around. The models are brilliant (unless you hate the aesthetic)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 02:45:35 PM »
Well, ya knocked that lot out bloody quick!
Most impressive, sir.
 :-* :-*

I can sympathise with you (and plenty of others, I am sure) having your head turned as I have too (just a little...).

I have decided to use the enthusiasm to get some more 'civilian' types done as I am sculpting some at the moment and have been using the leftover green stuff on other models that have been laying around waiting for attention for ages.
It is all starting to come together.

Maybe, if we all get this Inq28 bug together we should meet up for a game or two..?
It has been a while.
 ;)

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 03:31:22 PM »
We could well do - although my little people (i.e. the kids) means my time has be planned in advance these days :) I'm thinking of two projects this year.......well next year, I suppose..........one of which is this 40K and the other is Mordheim. Mord20, in fact, with a multiplayer at the Sergeant on the big table, so maybe we can plan for that?

Lets be under no illusions that I don't think 40K isn't still a rapidly falling apart paper bag of alpha striking hot shite, because I do........ BUT, the background and scope is still engaging, so its a case of take what one does like, bin everything people don't like and take a model/story/project first engagement with the models and setting, let the rules take a back seat and just have at it with a game encourages people to engage.

I've no time for the dogma of GW generally nowadays - games are so rare, that each one needs to be an event in its own right, so the whole rulesy/winnish element can get oot.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:19:57 PM by Kitsune »

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
Sweet looking models.  I have a lot of the Nurgle daemons and it is very tempting to get the Dark Imperium set to round out my Crimson Fists and then use the Death Guard to compliment the Daemons with some Death Guard as well as possibly using them for late Horus Heresy stuff.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Well, I've built the Death Guard warband...........and come to the conclusion that I don't really enjoy making space marines. I really enjoyed making the demons and getting those made and painted and done, but by gawd the marines were a bit of a chore.

I probably did myself no favours by choosing to remove most, if not all, of the spikes, tentacles, mouths,  bells and other masses of clutter from them, so this extended the gluing into a more drawn out event than anticipated. Also surprised by how prescriptive the new kits are (its been at least a decade since I built a plastic marine) with a lot of "part 21 only fits part 22. Part 22 is designed to fit part 23" - which I also ignored and got busy with the knife.

Had planned to get some better pics of the demons, but time (and light) slipped away.

Also..........there may have been a dampner on actually playing 40K, for one reason or another, so this is likely to roll into being a pure modelling project. So this is done for the pleasure of creating it.....and getting a colour scheme/painting method out of my system after I've been thinking about it for at least a decade.

Undercoated the marines. Will do the first batch of armour tonight and then see where we are. Ideally, I'll get all of this done by the 16th (when theres a big ACW game) as that forms the close of my practical hobby activities for the year.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:25:37 PM by Kitsune »

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
Finished and done.

Three weeks from arriving in the box in the post to being fully finished and photographed. Not bad :)

Full blog here...............

https://themosquitoonthetenthfloor.blogspot.com/2018/12/warband-of-nurgles-garden.html

Plus some background and pics of my greater demon

https://themosquitoonthetenthfloor.blogspot.com/2018/12/bois-thee-hidden-faced.html

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:22:56 AM by Kitsune »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 10:46:11 AM »
Three weeks from arriving in the box in the post to being fully finished and photographed. Not bad :)

Kitsune?
He is more machine than man now......
 ;)

That is bloody impressive, mate.
They look great, especially liking the weathered look of the marines in the pre-Heresy colours (  ;) I did read the blog  :) ), much better than just another bunch of green fat blokes covered in too much tat.
 8) 8)

I am with you with the 40k thoughts: The whole ethos of the game now is beyond me but I love the background as I remember it (not the 'Girlyman woke up and said 'lets build bigger marines' thing'!) and have read all of the Horus Heresy novels and particularly the whole Inquisition series, just dont 'get' the way that the game itself has evolved.
It aint for me.
We will have to work out something to get a game in together some time.