Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:38:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690528
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trees for an Endor Game(first 2 bases complete 8/12/18)  (Read 5414 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Trees for an Endor Game
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 04:47:58 PM »
I would have said 'illusion' rather than 'delusion', as its somewhat negative connotations don't fit with such a cracking build. Lovely work Andy, I wouldn't mind having a go at the pine trees.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
Your not fooling me old matey flip.
 A flat top makes it easier to balance an ewok village level does it not  ;D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
Very nice  trees Andy.  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
Cracking stuff mate  8)

Makes me want to re-visit mine and titivate them  lol

Thanks mate! I was copying the big ones you made a while ago. Big Endor game for BLAM next year? ;)

That is a precise tutorial, thank you very much!

Your very welcome Michi. I always hope I can help someone out!

They look ace! ;D

Thanks buddy!

Can't see the wood for the trees yet, but you don't do things by half, that's for sure.  :o

Also, I shudder to think of the woodchuck that would chuck that wood. ;)

Boom, boom, tish!

But how much wood could a wood chuck, chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Nice job on the trees.

Ta much!

Really great looking trees.
Can't wait to see the whole forest.

The hardest part is going tfor be the groundwork! I’ve never been convinced by any modelling solutions I’ve seen so far.

Looking at pictures, there’s a lot of ferns on Endor. I’ve decided to use cheap Chinese palm trees and cut them up. Seems the only viable option for me, I don’t fancy spending a fortune on laser cut stuff or brass etch stuff! :o

Superb Andy  8)

Cheers mate!

Brilliant.

But more worrying are the works of art shoved in the boxes in the background!

Thanks! My whole house is in turmoil just now. I can’t find much time or space to do anything! :'(

Me too (Had to google what titivate means just in case I was agreeing to something nefarious)

lol lol lol

Really nice start :-* :-*
Lon

Cheers!

I've been known to chime in as an "unfan" of truncated trees - but with the level of texture on these AND the lower branches, they work.  Helps also to have 'fleshed' out full size trees in the mix that just happen to be smaller trees.  Makes the whole more convincing.  Hope you will add many more "full" trees in amongst the giant trunks to keep up the 'convincingness' element. 

Much of our hobby depends on optical 'delusions' and the "full" trees are critical to achieving your 'delusion' of a forest.   lol   Endor is some imaginative persons delusion after all.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I fancied making trees big enough to be able hide ATSTs or even ATATs! ;)

I would have said 'illusion' rather than 'delusion', as its somewhat negative connotations don't fit with such a cracking build. Lovely work Andy, I wouldn't mind having a go at the pine trees.

Thanks for the support bud! The pine trees are a lot of work. It’s quite time consuming doing the wire branches, but I think it’ll be worth it. My thinking is that these trees are ‘true scale’.

Your not fooling me old matey flip.
 A flat top makes it easier to balance an ewok village level does it not  ;D

You’ve caught me out there! ;)

Very nice  trees Andy.  8)

Ta!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 11:36:17 PM »
Very Nice!  Those Chinese palm trees work well as ferns.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »
Top work, mate.
 8) 8)

I have a ridiculous amount of stuff to make a jungle at some point but I can see myself chucking in a few big lads as well now...
 ;)

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 07:41:02 AM »
Very Nice!  Those Chinese palm trees work well as ferns.

Hopefully they will. Those ones aren’t stuck down, I was just placing a couple of spare ones to see if they’d ‘fit’. When it comes to it, I’ll chop them up to look more like ferns and less like palm trees someone has put down!

Top work, mate.
 8) 8)

I have a ridiculous amount of stuff to make a jungle at some point but I can see myself chucking in a few big lads as well now...
 ;)

I’ve started collecting ALL cardboard tubes I can get. Now that’s ridiculous!

You’ll need to start making little hairy dudes now mate! Ewoks are hard that get for Star Wars.

Btw the dowel for the pine trees comes from B&Q(other diy stores are available! ;))

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »
You make the ewok village and I'll do you some ewoks you can cast.
Mark.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 04:10:30 PM »
Huh - I had never thought to use hot glue for the texture, even though I was using to mount the trees and draw roots...

Wonderful!  These are lovely, by the way, and I am going to thoroughly steal ideas for my next set of them.

lol lol
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
Thanks mate! I was copying the big ones you made a while ago. Big Endor game for BLAM next year? ;)

Ooo, I think that could be arranged  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 10:47:46 AM »
Steal away! ;)

So I've managed to to get the first 2 bases done. I've tried to make the bases busy with veg. I think I might need more. I'm also not sure I'm convinced with the foilage on the big trees.... :?

Cheap trick: I've found using dried grass roots from my back garden perfect for vines and the small, unadorned branches of the pine tree.

Edit: I've changed the pictures a bit. I was getting better light, later on.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 09:34:07 PM by Andym »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Trees for an Endor Game(first 2 bases complete 8/12/18)
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
Lovely stuff fella  8)

I think the issue with the large tree foliage is that it's a different type to the smaller tree one?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
That looks perfectly fine to me, mate.
Different trees have different leaves.
Simples.
 8) 8)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »
You've buggered the sence of scale . That's what's doing your head in.You've excelled at the foliage and its pretty clear that your focus / concern was getting good foliage.
 On the giant red wood and pine. Base two things are working against you. The pine is virtually the same height so the visual que for the implied height of the missing part of the red wood is lost .
The second is the branches the come too low down the trunk .killing the height of the red wood and making it feel stumpy especially given the height and shape of the tree next to it (it tapers to a point making feel even taller where as you red wood has the same silhouette its entire length.)
 There's a couple of things you could do easily . Remove some of the lower branches and move them slightly heighier.Also reduce the height of the pine.
Personally(I know your more than capable of it.) I'd reduce the circumference of the red wood at the top just a little so theres a slight tapering of the trunk. Which will make them seem taller.Also loose the flat tops have a more angular top with sections raised higher than the rest ( almost a series of spires/ snapped stick look to emply the tree is taller at the moment. Its got a tall stump feel.)Even easier given that your using a glue gun for texturing.
Your undergrowth and pine tree and the foliage on the red wood are great .You need to tweak the red woods at the moment they still have a cardboard tube feel about them. The ones you've made so far would work absolutely fine as supports for the ewok village. 
I'd save the redesign for new trees (except I'd still remove the odd lower branch .)
Mark.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »
Hadn't noticed you had finished these, stunning :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
What colour are you using for the trunks, it looks quite red?
I got some chinese palm trees through just trying to work out how to use them