Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689510
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Trees for an Endor Game(first 2 bases complete 8/12/18)  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Trees for an Endor Game(first 2 bases complete 8/12/18)
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2018, 03:27:27 AM »
I love the forest floor- great mix of mud, dead leaves and greenery.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 05:14:22 AM »
Wow, they're huge!
What did you do for your leaf litter on the floor? Is it a leaf punch or just general garden detritus?

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 07:30:30 AM »
Brilliant work Andy! Would go very nicely with my Loch board (stuck on top a cupboard in the garage...).
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »
I'd leave the ground cover as is.  As to scale, pine trees are generally less than one hundred feet tall - though certain species can grow taller under really good conditions.  Redwood trees can tower to 350' tall and more. 

Living in California and being an avid backpacker, I've been up close and personal to many of these trees.  In a large mass you don't see much variation but when you get up close you can see it.  The real 'tell' between species is the nature of the bark and then their cones and needle formation.  Redwood, pine, fir, spruce, cedar, etc.  Just wish I was better at remembering which was which - and then there is the variation within each since, for instance, there are many different varieties of pine (only two type of redwood in California, both huge).

The real problem I see is your bases seem to be warping and that is unfortunate because the models are otherwise quite nice.  Easiest game table solution is a couple bags of lichen, a couple of colors, to hide the warping.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 07:14:35 PM »
Lovely stuff fella  8)

I think the issue with the large tree foliage is that it's a different type to the smaller tree one?

Should they all BE the same? I was trying to make some variation between the trees. I thought it might look too same-y, same-y.

That looks perfectly fine to me, mate.
Different trees have different leaves.
Simples.
 8) 8)

Yeah, that was my thought too, buddy.

On the giant red wood and pine. Base two things are working against you. The pine is virtually the same height so the visual que for the implied height of the missing part of the red wood is lost .
The second is the branches the come too low down the trunk .killing the height of the red wood and making it feel stumpy especially given the height and shape of the tree next to it (it tapers to a point making feel even taller where as you red wood has the same silhouette its entire length.)
 There's a couple of things you could do easily . Remove some of the lower branches and move them slightly heighier.Also reduce the height of the pine.
Personally(I know your more than capable of it.) I'd reduce the circumference of the red wood at the top just a little so theres a slight tapering of the trunk. Which will make them seem taller.Also loose the flat tops have a more angular top with sections raised higher than the rest ( almost a series of spires/ snapped stick look to emply the tree is taller at the moment. Its got a tall stump feel.)Even easier given that your using a glue gun for texturing.
Your undergrowth and pine tree and the foliage on the red wood are great .You need to tweak the red woods at the moment they still have a cardboard tube feel about them. The ones you've made so far would work absolutely fine as supports for the ewok village. 
I'd save the redesign for new trees (except I'd still remove the odd lower branch .)
Mark.

I was going by these pics I found. They look like cardboard tubes to me.....and they are the ‘real’ thing.

Would more branches work? I could do as you say and move the existing ones up, but what if I put bigger ones lower down? Taper them toward the top? They might also be too sparse just now? That might help with the shape too?

I quite like the size of the smaller pine. When we get to play and brothers ATST stands beside it, I think it’ll look the part.

Hadn't noticed you had finished these, stunning :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
What colour are you using for the trunks, it looks quite red?
I got some chinese palm trees through just trying to work out how to use them

All cheap pound paints bought from Poundland and an old tester pot for highlights....

I just cut the palms i had up into single leaves and hot-glue gunned them down.

I love the forest floor- great mix of mud, dead leaves and greenery.

Thanks Codsticker!

Wow, they're huge!
What did you do for your leaf litter on the floor? Is it a leaf punch or just general garden detritus?
Trying to get the sense of scale of Endor mate. I figure it needs big trees.

Brilliant work Andy! Would go very nicely with my Loch board (stuck on top a cupboard in the garage...).

How can such a beautiful piece languish in a garage!  :o

I'd leave the ground cover as is.  As to scale, pine trees are generally less than one hundred feet tall - though certain species can grow taller under really good conditions.  Redwood trees can tower to 350' tall and more. 

Living in California and being an avid backpacker, I've been up close and personal to many of these trees.  In a large mass you don't see much variation but when you get up close you can see it.  The real 'tell' between species is the nature of the bark and then their cones and needle formation.  Redwood, pine, fir, spruce, cedar, etc.  Just wish I was better at remembering which was which - and then there is the variation within each since, for instance, there are many different varieties of pine (only two type of redwood in California, both huge).

The real problem I see is your bases seem to be warping and that is unfortunate because the models are otherwise quite nice.  Easiest game table solution is a couple bags of lichen, a couple of colors, to hide the warping.

Scale wise, I was thinking a guy is about 6feet and a model is just over an inch(inch and a half?), so my smaller pine is 12 inches so by my bad maths, that should put it about a 50 foot scale tree.

In your experience then, should all my foliage look roughly the same?

Yeah, the base warping is a pain in the arse! My house is arse for elbow just now, so I used what I had to hand to cover the base....tissue paper cover with PVA as opposed to my normal method....polyfilla. The tissue and PVA seem to have shrunk and pull the hardboard base up! :'(

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 11:45:21 PM »
I wouldnt worry about the base too much.
Just put it on a slightly bigger one and fill the gap.
 ;)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2018, 05:18:32 AM »
"In your experience then, should all my foliage look roughly the same?"   :o

Heavens, no.  At your scale figures (and people) are close enough to those trees to notice the difference between trees, including variations in foliage colors.  Sure, the foliage will all be green (or brown if dead or dying, too much of that in our forests, alas) but the greens will vary somewhat.  In spring, there are distinct variations in lighter colored green new growth and the older darker foliage.

I'm going to have three types of evergreens in my 15 mm forest all using the same model tree set but I'm going to paint some sets with an overspray of a lighter green and other sets I'm going to overspray with a darker green.  And the ones I've already got based are as they come out of the box.  36 light, 72 medium, and 36 dark green is the goal - but I need five more sets to realize that goal (9 trees to a set, by the way).

When you see group shots of such forests, they seem to all be the same color (and many of them are if they are the same variety of the same species) but in most photos if you look close enough you will see variations in colors because often times species are intermixed.