Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:04:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Basing Advice  (Read 2211 times)

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
Basing Advice
« on: November 30, 2018, 06:52:49 PM »
I've never really done a big base with lots of minis on before. I usually do 28mm with all the individually based figures placed on movement trays.

Now I've started a 15mm army, I've got 18 15mm guys on a 80mm x 50mm base, which feels about right for heavy infantry.

I've based them ok, but it was a bit fiddly PVAing the sand. And I've just spent the last half hour sticking my paintbrush into all the little gaps painting the base black. Now I've got three more layers of paint to do. This feels really awkward and fiddly and annoying. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a knack or a trick or something?

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Basing Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:06:54 PM »
With base painting I...

Paint a very light, sand colour and leave to completely dry.

Then I get some very dark brown craft paint and mix with plenty of water and use this as a wash over the light colour.

Once completely dry I dry-brush with a lighter colour.

I do this for both single and multi-based figures.  Seems to be quite fast with several figures on a base.

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 09:16:32 PM »
When I clean the gutters, in spring,there is a fine grit/silt in the bottom.Its just right for 28mm soil!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
Something I tried in the past with 15mm multi-based models was sand stuck on the wood glue (or strong pva) and then when dry, given an ink wash. As well as being easy to slop on, it flows nicely where it's supposed to and you only need the one layer. I actually did a couple of green ink splats and then quickly went in with brown ink before it had completely dried, just to get a bit of variety.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 10:45:24 PM »
I thin the PVA with some water, it works better and apply the glue faster. cover with sand / grit and allow to fully dry for a day. Then I put a dirty ink / wash over the base - leave to dry and just dry brush. More dabs of glue then go down for grit, flocks and tufts.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 01:19:07 AM »
I've based them ok, but it was a bit fiddly PVAing the sand. And I've just spent the last half hour sticking my paintbrush into all the little gaps painting the base black. Now I've got three more layers of paint to do. This feels really awkward and fiddly and annoying. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a knack or a trick or something?
It;'s probably best to PVA the sand as you glue down the figures. I am assuming you are using Superglue to glue the figures to the base. For what it's worth you could use superglue for both figures and sand, then seal the sand with watered down PVA. Start in the centre of the stand and work your way out.  It's not going to be faster but you are less likely to get PVA and sand all over your minis.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 09:43:36 AM »
Ok, cheers, everyone.

One of the issues I was having was PVAing in narrow the gaps. I had considered PVAing the figures at the same time, but hadn't thought of supergluing the sand.

I'm doing snow themed bases, so getting the snow on the ground without getting it on the figures will be another challenge.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Brown Basetex, let it dry, then give it a quick drybrush, comes up a treat. Then add plenty of flock to cover up yer mistakes!

:)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:41:49 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »
I mostly have singly-based miniatures, so this hasn't been an issue for me, but I have often wondered how people do it neatly with  multi-based figures (is that the right term? surely it should be multi-figure bases?) without messing up the paintjobs. Doing it with 15mm sounds particularly fiddly.

Certainly painting and drybrushing the base texture will make things trickier. If you just use sand, and as others have said, some sort of wash, things should be much easier.

I actually JUST use sand, no wash (with patches of static grass), and have now done a few 'multi-bases' for one unit of pikemen. It was a little tricky, but doable. I'm glad I don't have to paint the sand as well.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2018, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 12:02:56 PM »
I'm just a bit lazy and use very fine model railroad sand which is already pre- coloured.  Dry brush this with a lighter colour and then static grass. It won't win any awards but looks fine for wargaming.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:09:35 AM »
I use Vallejo's texturized pastes. First I put a small drop of PVA where I want the mini to go, just to keep it in place; then I use the texturized paste, exactly like I would be basing single miniatures; then I put another figure and so on and so forth until the base is completed. If I miss some spot, in the final step I cover it with static grass. It's not fast, but it is what works better (Learnt my lesson after failing to do so with a Macedonian phalanx!)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »
I make my own goo to put on bases. It is a mix of wood glue, water, sand in different sizes, filler, paint and a drop of dish soap.

Just mix everything together in a sealable container and it is ready to apply to all your basing and terrain needs. Just add glue water or sand to tweak the consistency. It takes a bit of trial and error to find your own consistency that is not to thick and not to runny.