Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 898
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Minihammer! A New 10mm Endeavour...  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Minihammer! A New 10mm Endeavour...
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:38:01 PM »
Evening all,

Starting this thread as a bit of a placeholder - it'll be a little while until I have another update but good to have a thread to hold me to account!

I've got really interested in the Minihammer thread I found over on the Ninth Age forum, so I'm ripping it off! The concept is basically 10mm minis, used for Warhammer, but with half size bases and measurements.

I'm going to collect a few 1500 point armies I think, very achievable at this scale. I've got a points calculator for third edition somewhere, so I'll either use The Ninth Age or 3rd edition Warhammer (the best) and knock up my own troops.

Firstly - an Ogre Kingdoms army:

These are from Black Gate miniatures - I backed the kickstarter ages ago, thinking they'd be good 15mm orcs, so it's nice to get a use from them.

I wanted to see how they'd look, so I've drawn the bases underneath (20mm squares for the Ogres).

Nice thing about this project is that I've long wanted to do a 10mm fantasy thing, and have been vaguely shopping for it for a couple of years, so now that I'm motivated almost everything is coming straight out my bits box. I've got enough for some Tolkien-esque (as opposed to GW) Orcs (about 1000 points) next - I'll have to create the army list for those.

Anyway - probably into the new year once these are finished, so no-one get too excited!

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
Re: Minihammer! A New 10mm Endeavour...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »
Looks like a fun idea to me!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:17 PM »
Yes it does. Watching with interest.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »
Interesting project! Do the smaller infantry get individually based?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:33:19 PM »
The chaps who I stole the idea off are doing that, but I'll be basing in 'one rank' strips , so for example I have some magister militum 10mm goblins, and they're going on some 10x50mm strips (i.e. 5 10mm square bases).

Warbases aslo do nice movement trays for just this thing, but because I magnetise everything, I might try and get some thin steel 'movement trays' that'll work. Not sure yet.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
Just a thought, but if you based them in frontages of four, they'd be the standard size for various other 10mm games - Warmaster and Mayhem, for example.

It's a long time since I played any form of Warhammer, but I recall that a four-figure frontage was the ideal because it was the minimum required to get a ranking bonus. Maybe that changed over the intervening decades.

Thinking back, I reckon one of the real oddities of Warhammer was the difference in base size for various fairly normal-sized humanoids: orcs, hobgoblins, slann and lizardmen on 25s; humans, half-orcs, dwarves, elves and goblins on 20s - even though (for example) the hobgoblin and half-orc miniatures were the same size (and some of the humans were bigger than the hobgoblins). I seem to recall there was some basing-identity crisis over the more humdrum form of chaos warrior at one point (marauders? thugs?).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
For normal chaos you need 5 to count as a ‘rank’. I also have a real aversion to even numbers on bases, I hate it!

To be honest, I’be played Mayhem with varying frontages and it doesn’t really mater, and I like this project for its moddelif appeal as much as I do anything else. I have had the same thoughts though!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »
For normal chaos you need 5 to count as a ‘rank’. I also have a real aversion to even numbers on bases, I hate it!

Aha! That shows how out of date I am (the last edition I played was third). Yes, I can see the visual appeal of an uneven number: having the leader or the standard-bearer in the middle, for one thing.

To be honest, I’be played Mayhem with varying frontages and it doesn’t really mater, and I like this project for its moddelif appeal as much as I do anything else.

Yes, that's very true. I've just had a look at the Minihammer thread: those armies look spectacular.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 05:08:47 PM »
Yeah exactly - that’s my main motivation!

Sorry, appalling spelling on loads post - bloody phone!