Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:59:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: how to weather an aerial gunboat?  (Read 1133 times)

Offline Dochejed

• Bookworm
how to weather an aerial gunboat?
« on: December 01, 2018, 07:46:22 PM »
Ive finally finished painting my Aberdeen gunboat from Crossover Miniatures, and now I want to add a little weathering.  I've seen many of the weathering products (washes, drybrushing, chalk, pigments), and used a few of them, but now I'm suffering from information overload.  What do you recommend for light weathering such as rust and dirt stains on the white painted MDF?  On dark grey or black MDF?

Thanks.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: how to weather an aerial gunboat?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 03:54:54 PM »
A thicker wash which can then be scrubbed off with a piece of cloth or sponge may prevent you going overkill with the grime. The ones Warlord Game sell usually work for that, otherwise leave a Games Workshop wash without its lid for a while and it'll give the proper consistency.

Personally I add a bit of paint to my washes to thicken them up and allow for a wider range of colours. I paint tanks and buildings mostly, but it should apply to airships too.

Usually I'll do a dry brush of a light brown first for dirt. Then apply small dots and spackled brown/ grey / black for more dirt as required (probably overkill in scales smaller than 20mm). A yellow wash / light brown mix does for built up dust in cracks.

For rust its something similar. Various orange wash / orange / brown paint mixes. I tend to add paint to the wash as it dries on the model too to give more colour variation.

Plus the whole model will have received a dark brown wash and highlight prior to this, so overall the thing will look a bit dour to begin with. However, this all may be overkill for VSF style airship as you may be going for a cleaner appearance, as opposed to a diesel punk look (I'm due to make some VSF steamships, but definitely will be going for the dingier end with my own models :) ) .

Edit: And I suppose a consideration would be that if the vehicle is in the air, it should be weathered differently than something on the land or sea. Depending on how often its moored (and liable to receive dirt from the ground), it may be cleaner than a regular ship. However similarly you may want to add more rain streaks and liquid related weathering as it may spend times in clouds - leaving off so much of the dust effects.

Grey would work for rain and dirt streaks. Black would be more overtly oil streaks, which you may want to apply to metal components. I'd give the material a darker tone so that the streaks don't stand out so much, or even go ahead and go pretty dark, and have the streaks in a lighter tone - washing away the dirt.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:02:39 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Dochejed

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
I'm definitely going for a cleaner appearance, this is a Royal Navy gunboat after all!  Your suggestion is a good one about using mostly rain streaks rather than a dusty look.  Have you ever used chalk or pigments like Pan Pastels?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 06:54:06 PM »
I had tried using Vallejo's pigments, however found that they are far too strong. As in even a little bit of powder when given a while to settle looked rather thick and had no opacity when applied in a mix of water or varnish. Which became problematic, as the powder would remain till a good deal of water and scrubbing was used to remove it. I may have just completely misunderstood the guides I'd found online however.

Personally I just use light to heavy drybrushes, or apply paint then buff it off after letting it settle for a second when it comes to dust effects. If you're doing a well maintained vehicles, which may not be as liable to be coated in dirt as others then a mix of rain and oil streaks would work. Along with perhaps adding lighter tones to the wood where its been worn down by the crewmen. If you're looking for more contrast then add some watered down black paint to the crevices and shadowy areas, or even some stains where some material was spilled and either not cleaned up properly, or the crew have had other concerns of late.

Edit: Oh, and if you want to make the vehicle look more interesting to look at then maybe add some insignia. Both overt large symbology, but perhaps also smaller pieces like proof marking style crests. If not that then perhaps some directional markings. I.e. Printed letters on the deck saying "Forward Gunnery Position" and the like, or "Operational Deck" above a door, or a rules for how one would act whilst in certain areas "all weapons must be stowed whilst outwith combat". All of course in some period script - either gold or black.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:59:12 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Dochejed

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »
Good suggestions -thanks!