Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:17:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Shooting while in a fight  (Read 1765 times)

Offline fambans

• Lurker
Shooting while in a fight
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
There is a -4 modifier for shooting at a figure in a fight. Why is it not applied in the Captain Napier example in 3.3.4 Shooting while in a fight?

Is the example wrong or is there an exception if you shoot at the figure you are fighting?

Offline Chinkster

• Schoolboy
Re: Shooting while in a fight
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
Since no one has replied, I'll take a stab at it:

From what I can tell, there's a difference between shooting at a figure in a fight (the shooter is not involved in the fight) and shooting while in a fight (the shooter is part of the fight).

The former gets the -4 penalty while shooting. The second doesn't.

YMMV.

Offline fambans

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:55:20 PM »
Back to this after a long pause. Reading section 3.3.3 again, it does seem to suggest there is a difference between a figure outside a fight shooting into a fight and a figure in a fight shooting. The rule uses the phrase, "shooting INTO a fight". I hadn't really considered this section because I thought it had only to do with area effect weapons, such as flame throwers or machine guns.

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 04:43:50 AM »
Hi FB,

Just noticed this one when it popped up to the top of the board. Sorry for not answering earlier.

So, let's look at 3.3.3;
When shooting into a Fight (other than with group targeting weapons such as the flamethrower and machine gun), roll an attack at a penalty of -4 (in addition to any other adjustments). If the result is a hit, the intended target has been hit. If the result is a miss (but not a natural 1), determine randomly which figure has been targeted, then roll a fresh attack against that target without the -4 modifier. If this second roll
also misses then the shot has missed the group completely.

You are correct, the word 'into' is the key one. Also the very next section covers shooting while in a fight, in which no such penalties are described and the Napier example is situated.

One of the restrictions we had in writing these rules was there was a very strict word count given to us by Osprey, who commissioned us to write them. Thus with just 25,000 we had to be very spare with our language, so every word counted.

In later versions of these rules we abandoned this and went for a random target rule instead as fights tend to be fast moving and chaotic. This is often very amusing  :D

My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/