Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686452
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Road to Berlin: the home grown approach  (Read 1429 times)

Offline shann1870

• Librarian
The Road to Berlin: the home grown approach
« on: October 18, 2018, 06:55:09 PM »
Hi Guys
Have just posted an article on my blog about a set of card driven WWII rules that I am working on. I hope you find it of interest. All comments/suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Steve

https://steve-nationsinarms.blogspot.com/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: The Road to Berlin: the home grown approach
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
Interesting approach. I do like the idea of the lull card to represent those forces with poorer command. The Command Failure card could be really brutal. We have found these 'end of turn' mechanisms to make games very swingy, and have often said you need two of these to force the end of the your turn, not just one.

What scale of game are you playing, you mention companies, and you also mention Rapid Fire (which has always confused me as to what level of game it is).

Do you have some example decks for forces for different forces or time periods?

Offline shann1870

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 08:35:12 PM »
Hi Fred
Lull cards are great - always appear when you least want them. The Command Failure card is bad if it comes out early, but not too serious otherwise. It doesn't end the turn, simply that initiative roll. Will explain it further in the next post. I only use this where historically you might want to reflect hesitant, not necessarily incompetent command. As with lull cards, it breaks up the rhythm of your play. It is particularly noticeable when up against a much better opponent with few bad cards and lots of good ones!! As to scale, the basic infantry unit is the platoon (4 figures), so roughly 1:10. Vehicles represent platoons of around 4. Game size, as with Rapid Fire is, in general terms, at brigade level. I tend to be fairly free-floating with the decks and make them up individually for each game, but yes, there are themes. Will try and expand on this in a future post.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »
Thanks for the further explanation - sounds an interesting gaming method.

The scale of game sounds good too - most of my WWII stuff has been collected for BKC, so is in 10mm and at 1 stand = 1 platoon scale, so sounds just right for these rules.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 12:38:05 PM »
Hi Guys
Have just posted an article on my blog about a set of card driven WWII rules that I am working on. I hope you find it of interest. All comments/suggestions are welcome.
Cheers
Steve

https://steve-nationsinarms.blogspot.com/

Interesting! Have you tried this approach also for large skirmishes on squad/platoon level with 50-100 figures per side?

Offline shann1870

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 01:43:13 PM »
Fred - yes, I like that sort of brigade level game. You can include all kinds of extras- artillery, airpower, engineering and it still feels "right". Traveller, no I haven't tried that kind of game at company level, although I am a big fan of the Two Fat Lardies' stable of rule sets. IABSM is set at company level I believe.

Offline shann1870

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »
Hi Guys.

The latest instalment on the rules can be found on the blog at:

https://steve-nationsinarms.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-road-to-berlin-command-and-control.html

Hope it is of interest.