Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Scoop - an AAR from DevLAM  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
The Scoop - an AAR from DevLAM
« on: December 02, 2018, 11:21:34 AM »
I couldn’t really understand it but DougEM4 and I were invited back to Snapcase Manor, a year and a day after our last visit for what was euphemistically called DevLAM 18. I expect the real reason was that Lord Snapcase wanted to ensure the return of the nice lime green Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I had “borrowed” and I believe Doug was having trouble selling the Snapcase family silver on the open market and had made some deal to return it. I understand that EPNS cutlery doesn’t command the same value as Stirling silver and the family didn’t want the fact that they had substituted the fakes for the real thing back in the 18th Century to come to light, there was some scandal about the insurance and the 3rd son at the time, far too tedious to go into here.

The upshot of this, was that on home ground, the Mad Lord was putting on a 2 day extravaganza game, set during the 2nd WW in the middle of the German invasion of southern England. I had to look that one up too ;)  I had commandeered a day and decided I could fit 2 games in that time. Doug was putting on a game set in Germany and he was being very cagey about what it involved.

My games were the direct result of Snappy buying three sets of Terrain boards from Silent Invader and as his game wasn’t going to use them and I was desperate to see them laid out I had to include them, simple really.

My first game was based on the Afghanistan boards but I moved them to the Mojave Desert, on the banks of the Mojave River, strangely it doesn’t appear on many maps of the area but I believe the American Government are responsible for the omission, it runs through an area where they have a lot of secret experimental facilities and it only runs deeply after the monsoon. You may be forgiven for thinking I am making this up and that the real reason for having a river was because I wanted to include the river launch that we used in my game last year but you would be entirely mistaken.

Do be careful should you go looking for this river because the Homeland Security in the area is very tight and they won’t take kindly to you walking round one of their nuclear testing sites with some story about looking for the Mojave River that some bloke in England told you about on a forum, you might not be as lucky as I was.

The background story is long and verbose and is on my blog, but to summarise:-

An abandoned secret facility in the Mojave Desert.

A Japanese Yakuza had engine problems and was forced to land.

He and his crew got into difficulties.

They were rescued.

But then most of them died.

One got away and is trying to sell his story to a news agency. He is under close guard now.

A crack news team has been put together to go and investigate the validity of his claims. T.V. Presenter Katie Monk.

And Ace Reporter Liam O’Rorke.

Bodyguards have been hired to protect the reporters.

They flew out to the Mojave last week and have not been heard from since.

It’s a tense time back in the office.

OK you are up to speed and after a quick intermission from our sponsors I will start the game report shortly as the details are fading fast from my fragile memory.

Should you wish to read the Full background story it is here https://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.com/2018/11/devlam-in-desert-scoop.html  and here https://vagabondswargamingblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/red-sparrow-down.html

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: The Scoop - an AAR from DevLAM
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
Beautiful terrain and figures!  :-*

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:45:26 PM »
nice, lucky buggers getting a weekend of gaming so cheap by just returning some old stuff you borrowed!

Can't wait to read the other reports!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
I did say you could keep the Roller, Young Futtock the chauffeur assures me we have another 17 stashed away on the estate and lime-green was never my favourite colour!

This game was amazingly good, but I don't want to say any more at this stage to avoid spoiling Vagabond's story. Suffice to say, keep an eye on that Liam O'Rorke, a true hero if ever I saw one.   ;)

Can't say the same for the bodyguards assigned to him, oxygen thieves the both of them!

Offline Panama

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 06:06:12 PM »
I love that last picture John koodo's to the special effects department :)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Look out for Katie Monk. Ace investigative reporter, brave as a lioness, inspirational leader and always ready to do a piece to camera with narry a hair out of place, her lipstick perfect and with fingers clutching the microphone that display nails bright with today’s on-trend varnish. She’s a legend.

Katie er sorry,

Doug