Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:23:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Conquest Medieval Knights for First Kingdom of Jerusalem / 3rd Crusade ?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline plessiez

• Assistant
Hello, I've had a look through the forum and found the thread where the conquest medieval knights were discussed and the consensus seemed to be quite negative on them, although since I'm not a medieval arms and armour buff the finer points of why were a bit lost on me.

As the subject says, are these suitable for early Outremer through to the third crusade? I'm hoping the answer is yes because I quite like the Conquest horses. They're some of my favourite plastic horses.

If the answer is no could you share why not? Wrong armour? No caparisons? Something else? Also, do you think a few normans mixed in to pad them out would be viable (representing poorer and worse equipped men) or is that also too much of a stretch?

Thanks!

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Re: Conquest Medieval Knights for First Kingdom of Jerusalem / 3rd Crusade ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »
Im no button-counter but it looks alright for me.

The saddles looks a little strange to me but Im no expert in horse saddles and the knight cover most of it anyway.

They are a bit earlier then Fireforge Games plastic knights but as long as you dont mix them in the same unit I think it works.

Here are two small units painted, not for the crusades but I think they will be fine for that.

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.com/2018/11/riddare-fran-eriksatten.html

http://kampgruppe-engel.blogspot.com/2018/11/riddare-fran-sverkeratten.html
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:11:20 AM by Engel »

Offline Sir Walter Rlyeh

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
The changes in the arms and equipment of a western European knight take place between the First and Third Crusade.  Very roughly, the First Crusade combatants are going to be Normans and the Third Crusade is the start of the Baron Wars look.  I tend to paint up my Third Crusade figures in the Baron Wars style because my idea of the classic knight is based on the  Timpo Swoppet  knights of my childhood and I like heraldry.  Recently there is a lot of academic discussion on how European the Crusader Armies actually were.  There is also discussion on the level of advanced military technology that was used in the theater of operations. 

I think Conquest knights would be fine for the Third Crusade but Normans would need some conversion work.   

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:48:45 PM »
I would argue that too many of the conquest games knights are wearing surcoats, and that the helmets are more typical mid 13th century than to the late 12th.

It depends if you're satisfied with an aesthetic that survives in just a handful of the visual sources that could possibly date to the period, or if you more conservatively prefer the aesthetic shown by the vast majority of sources from the period.

I'm one of those people who doesn't want a miniature to look possible, I want it to look typical.

Offline plessiez

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:23:48 AM »
Thanks for the responses all. I suppose a follow-up question would be if not them, then which other figures would be better? Perry do first crusade. I know of a few manufacturers that do later crusades with lots of great-helms. But who is best for late 12th Century?

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »
Khurasan has some plastic miniatures in progress right now that are very promising. The Perry miniatures crusader range mostly have sleeves too short for the mid 12th century, however the Perry miniatures Hospitallers are perfect for this period, when the holy orders were required to wear monks' habits.

Offline plessiez

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 09:13:14 AM »
Thanks, I'd be interested to see a link to what Khurasan are doing. I've had a look through their Facebook but I can't see anything obvious that's not their usual 15mm.

I agree, the Perry hospitallers do look good are and I should probably pick some up.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 07:09:16 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the conquest minis besides the horses. I use them mainly for parts and with that a whole bunch of other kits to make it work. I'm not sure that answers your question but i wouldnt advise on using their normans with them as they are not really of the same proportions. A lot of players dont really care fo rthat sort of thing and just want mini's to represent something and for that im sure they are fine.