Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mech Attack/ Battletech Alpha Strike  (Read 29410 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Re: Mech Attack/ Battletech Alpha Strike
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2019, 07:55:20 PM »
Love everything about this. keep up the awesome work!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2019, 12:22:14 PM »
Nice! That motorway is perfect! 8) it’ll be nice to see the board fully populated with terrain!

Offline Hewlett

• Librarian
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »

I am building the mdf buildings at the moment, it shouldn't take to long until i can show you something painted.

Until then: In another forum, a german one, is at the moment a little project. It's called the summer project, 18 minis in 3 months which is in my opinion doable...

So i am painting some Gray Death Legion. ^^
2/6

Stinger

Assassin

Ah, well i nearly forgot something...

Some of the mechs could actually work in 15mm... Totally not planned but I am quite happy. :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #108 on: July 06, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
Superb  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2019, 09:46:38 PM »
Interesting.  For a moment there I thought the muzzle flash effect on the unpainted one was a harpoon and BTech was going down the Grimdrak 40K road.  Then again, they do have mechs carrying axes already...  :)

Eighteen figures in a month, eh?  Any particular type/scale/theme?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2019, 03:13:15 AM »
lol, I thought the same about the muzzle flash as well. I like the bullet casings (AC casings) coming out the side. Where are these minis from?

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2019, 07:56:17 AM »
Excellent work....👍👍👍👍👍
If the white ones great the grey colour scheme is superb.
To top that you take great pics, something I still struggle to do consistently since I rely more on natural light to take my pics.

Keep it up
Great work all round
Mecha... what isn't there to love ? ;)

Z
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:50:09 PM by zrunelord »
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
This is just awesome. What a board, those mechs... wow.  o_o o_o o_o

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2019, 04:54:08 PM »
Fantastic stuff. I really like that Assassin. Is that from MWO?

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:37 AM »
Is the firing one an Urbie? 8)

So unloved, but remarkably effective in a city fight...

The Gray Death Legion is looking excellent; I especially love the canopy colours; really nice. And you know you'll need a Shadowhawk and/or Marauder for them now ;)

Actually, the very first Battletech trilogy, detailing the rise of the GDL, is one of my favourite story arcs, especially since it's all relatively small scale; just a few light or medium lances, supported by infantry and AFV's, as opposed to the regimental or corps scale of the later battles of the Davion/Steiner/Liau/Marek/Draconis wars and of course the Clan invasion(s).

Light Mechs such as the Locust or Wasp/Stinger are almost completely overlooked in those large scale engagements, which usually pits Heavies and Assaults against each other. Those are cool too, but for some reason, the lighter skirmishes and local battles of, at the most, company level sit better with me, especially when considering them for the tabletop.

Mechs are supposed to be the pinnacle of military technology, and are towering, god-like machines of destruction, capable of razing entire cities to the ground. Much like 40K's Titans (although when considering size and crew, they're more akin to Knights). So they need to be sufficiently huge, to convey the idea.

But in the original Fasa scale, they're about 28mm infantry sized, and in-scale infantry should then be about 5mm tall (which they aren't). So that takes away a bit from the idea they're so huge. Also, when fielding an entire company (in Alpha Strike, not the original BT rules; that would take weeks to complete lol ), so many Mechs on the table also takes away from the notion that they're individually so powerful.

Remember the scene in The 1st Gray Death novel, where a lone Locust wreaks havoc on an entire company of infantry? And that's the lightest and puniest of Mechs in the series!

That's why I like your project so much; your Mechs are sufficiently large to convey the image, and even though the Urban Mech appears a tad too small, it's actually about the right size, at roughly 8m tall, when compared to 15mm infantry.

And since I'm looking to add an Urban Mech to my own 15mm BT force(s), could you please let us know where you got it? :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »
Completely agree, just finished reading through the gret death first three novels for the first time. Nice read and not dated at all.
Can't wait to see more gret death, especially a marauder.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »
Somewhat off-topic, but did everyone see they're releasing the new edition of Alpha Strike tomorrow?  Been out of print for quite  a long time now, nice to see it available again (and hopefully revised and errors corrected).  It's not Battletech, but it does give you another system to use the minis with - alongside Horizon Wars and Mech Attack and Mekton Z and...well, lots of mech rules out there, aren't there?

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
Somewhat off-topic, but did everyone see they're releasing the new edition of Alpha Strike tomorrow?  Been out of print for quite  a long time now, nice to see it available again (and hopefully revised and errors corrected).  It's not Battletech, but it does give you another system to use the minis with - alongside Horizon Wars and Mech Attack and Mekton Z and...well, lots of mech rules out there, aren't there?

I'm looking forward to it, the current alpha strike book is a bit of a mess in my opinion.

And truth be told, I've yet to find a mech ruleset that really does it for me.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Hewlett

• Librarian
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2019, 06:41:16 AM »
Hi and thanks for the comments, glad you like them. :)

Marauder and Shadowhawk are printed. ^^

But first:

I just couldn't resist these sweet 15mm Minis and i always wanted to try out Gruntz... ^^'

I plan to do a matching Kuritan Force, Sword of Light maybe. Then i'll switch back to 10mm, atleast that's the plan.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2019, 07:47:04 AM »
Good job my friend 👍👍👍👍
Keep it up.
You might want to pop over to Gzg..
it's sales week

Z