Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689607
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to enFantasyise this Church?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
How to enFantasyise this Church?
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:09:59 PM »
A while back, I bought a fairly random (and cheap) selection of buildings to help my son get enough scenery to play Frostgrave - two kids under 3 doesn’t leave him much time for scenery making.

One was this church (see below). It was cheap but bland. And very obviously Anglican rather than a mysterious fantasy temple. I’m looking for ideas to make it less bland and more fantasy. Although intended for Frostgrave, it doesn’t need to be frosty.

Thanks

Doug

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: How to enFantasyise this Church?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Cut out some gothic arches on thin cardboard (from online sources if you like) to add to walls, windows and doors? If you layer two of them with the second slightly thinner, but the same opening, it can enhance the 3D aspect. You could source some bas relief images of your choice to cut out and glue on in the same way, or source some resin ones if you prefer.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »
Doug,
Just in the middle of messing around with an mdf church myself.
There's tonnes you can add for next to nothing I'd start with floors then add some suggestion of wood panels. 
At the risk of sounding like a know it all . Have a look at my church thread there might be some ideas that you could pinch.

Mark.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 02:19:55 PM »
enFantasyise

Good word, like it!

How about mixing in a few bits from Pegasus Gothic stuff?

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:39:41 PM »
Talk to Warbases or CFM about add on kits.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:43:32 PM »
How about really weirding it up, whilst staying away from gothifying it?

- Large pillars on the outside of the tower, perhaps supported by some huge stone sculptures of heroes or monsters
- Make the walls to look like they're made from something else than stone or brick. Perhaps ice and packed snow, obsidian, or mud
- Out of place roofing, such as perhaps thatch, planking, or metal shingles made to look like dragon scales
- Fantastical iconography, such as dragons and/or paladins painted garishly on the walls
- Change the shape of the windows and doors into circles, triangles or something really outlandish, like eyes
- And of course the classic old favourite; mounds of skulls...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »
Some cracking ideas already - I’m feeling inspired :)

In order of appearance:
Cut out some gothic arches on thin cardboard (from online sources if you like) to add to walls, windows and doors? If you layer two of them with the second slightly thinner, but the same opening, it can enhance the 3D aspect. You could source some bas relief images of your choice to cut out and glue on in the same way, or source some resin ones if you prefer.
I like your ideas - they’re cheap and readily doable - thanks.

At the risk of sounding like a know it all . Have a look at my church thread there might be some ideas that you could pinch.
Mark.
Mark - I can’t believe I totally missed your post which is not very far down the page and has “church” and “mdf” in the title ::). Anyway, now you’ve pointed me towards it, I’m all over it - it’s fantastic. Of course yours is historical and therefore remains very much a church but the techniques are universally appropriate. I won’t get anywhere near your detail and skill but the ideas are sumptuous- many thanks....!

Good word, like it!

How about mixing in a few bits from Pegasus Gothic stuff?
I’ll take a look at that stuff, m’lud although the notion of actually buying something goes rather against the grain :)

How about really weirding it up, whilst staying away from gothifying it?

- Large pillars on the outside of the tower, perhaps supported by some huge stone sculptures of heroes or monsters
- Make the walls to look like they're made from something else than stone or brick. Perhaps ice and packed snow, obsidian, or mud
- Out of place roofing, such as perhaps thatch, planking, or metal shingles made to look like dragon scales
- Fantastical iconography, such as dragons and/or paladins painted garishly on the walls
- Change the shape of the windows and doors into circles, triangles or something really outlandish, like eyes
Now we’re talking - just what I’m looking for for enFantasyisation. Great ideas there.

- And of course the classic old favourite; mounds of skulls...

Oh yes - already got one of them..... :D :D  :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »
Haha.
I was about to say: Skullz - obvz  ;)

Offline H.G. Walls

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 06:59:18 PM »
My first thought was that you could turn it into a military structure with a watch tower and barracks. You could add items like weapons racks, beds, crates, etc. I'm sure that there are more ideas, but that is what I have for now.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 07:17:40 PM »
My first thought was that you could turn it into a military structure with a watch tower and barracks. You could add items like weapons racks, beds, crates, etc. I'm sure that there are more ideas, but that is what I have for now.

That’s an interesting idea although it’s probably the outside I’m most concerned about. But your barracks and watch tower is a very interesting idea.

Doug

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »
Statuary is surely the easiest route, especially some knighg vs some monstery type.

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 01:25:13 PM »
I think it would look really good if creepers had overgrown the tower (maybe that's also the reason why the building was ruined).
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
I think it would look really good if creepers had overgrown the tower (maybe that's also the reason why the building was ruined).

Yes - like that. I need to look for a creeper-making tutorial; there’s bound to be one on here.

I’ve decided to go for a half-timbered look with crude repairs to the damaged bits. Maybe a partial thatch or plank roof to the main part.

Doug

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 11:24:49 AM »
Buttresses would really help.

Yes - like that. I need to look for a creeper-making tutorial; there’s bound to be one on here.

There you go: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=29380.msg352920#msg352920

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »
How about not using it as a temple?

Add a few decrepit walls and it could be a ruined stronghold?