Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Senegalaise Tiralleurs and Zouave uniform questions  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
Senegalaise Tiralleurs and Zouave uniform questions
« on: December 05, 2018, 12:01:05 PM »
I am a bit puzzled about how the 1914 uniform of Senegalaise Tiralleurs.
When the the Senegalaise Tiralleurs were deployed on the Western front in 1914 were they issued regular boots, and gaiters like the infantry? Or were it for the most part puttees?

I've seen them pictured in greatcoat and it would not seem unlikely that they did wear that for the most part.

Could they be converted using French infantry with head conversions, Or if they would require puttees added?

As for the Zouaves according to this source the Turban was discontinued in 1903. But was still used by some during the outbreak of the war. Could this be verified? If so it could provide an interesting variety to 1914 Zouaves.

"The official removal of the turban from dress was in 1903, but many men continued to wear turbans for full dress long afterwards. Around the beginning of the Great War, some turbans were even tea-dyed to present less of a target, whilst still allowing its owner to wear it."

http://www.oocities.org/frenchzouaves/hats.html

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
Re: Senegalaise Tiralleurs and Zouave uniform questions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »
I think that the tireilleur senegales never get boots and gaiters, in contrast to the zuaven. Here were rather light shoes and the pants were worn tight on the calf. Turcos and Zouaves had boots and gaiters, as far as I know in 1914. Later they were worn coat and puttees simiular the french comrade.
Is the blue of the uniform right? The colonial troops wore on the western front rather Khaki uniforms.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 01:20:07 PM »
I see. Thats interesting. Thanks.

They did wear a blue uniform not khaki like other colonial units until later in the war. And due to that they most likely received blue greatcoats as well.

- Though they did not wear the red sash for obvious reasons. And also wore an iron-blue cloth cover to conceal the red fez.

The khaki uniform was probably for colonial service in Africa while arriving on the western front wore the blue uniform. Same as the Foreign legion adjusted from white to red pants. Most sculpting 1914 Senegalaise Tiralleurs are presented in the blue uniform. Same with artwork from the period.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 01:35:02 PM by Gribb »

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 06:23:08 AM »
Thanks Gribb, I also see the artwork of liliane and fred funcken. Had I had to know, the book finally got home  lol.

Okay, I found it. The Kahki uniform, which I meant was only worn from 1917.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 06:24:56 AM by waterproof »

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:03:04 AM »
@Waterproof, thats awesome :D Lots of cool illustrationts there.

Thanks for sharing the picture. during the war. Pretty badass carrying along the coupe-coupe for close-combat.

From what I read they performed bravely on the front. And were feared by the Germans due to their ferocity in battle.

I think its pretty cool how they retained their distinctive yellow trimming during the war.