Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of Bouvines Resources?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
Battle of Bouvines Resources?
« on: December 05, 2018, 07:25:58 PM »
Does anyone have a good resource recommendation for the battle of Bouvines in English? I have Georges Duby's "The Legend of Bouvines", but almost everything else I can find is in French text which I cannot read. It's suprising to me how little there is on this subject since it was such an important medieval battle.
Thanks

Offline MM

• Bookworm
Re: Battle of Bouvines Resources?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:23:00 PM »
The magazine "Medieval Warfare" by Karwansaray publishers published an issue some years ago about this battle...you can probably still order it!

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »
Perhaps because the English were on the losing side there wasn't much written in English about what is considered a very important battle in European/French history!
I have read the medieval warfare mag (I think it was issue 1) on this battle and it is a very good summary of the information available and is probably the most accessible source for further research.There might be accounts of the battle in books about the Kings involved in the campaign but I have never found any other books on the battle.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:47:37 PM by rumacara »

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 12:37:36 AM »
Thanks all!  I have the Medieval Warfare magazine and have the website already saved.  I am always searching for more sources in English.  I would love to find another book about the subject in English, but haven't found it yet.

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 02:40:30 AM »
german wiki could help.

"Schlacht von bouvines"

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
Sean McGlynns 'Blood cries afar' has a bit about the battle as background to the first Barons War.

Offline Duncan Head

• Student
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 10:57:21 AM »
http://www.earlyblazon.com/ has a page on Bouvines (start by clicking on "Battles" in the left panel) showing heraldry of known participants.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:25:52 AM by Duncan Head »