Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685047
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Good poses and missing units for 1914  (Read 10109 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Good poses and missing units for 1914
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 08:30:26 AM »
I wish there were duplicate mortar and HMG figures actually carrying their weapons to represent when the team is moving. It never looks right them moving in firing/operating positions.

Don’t get me started on there only being early War British artillery limbers being available 😳

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 10:44:56 AM »
Advancing poses definitely seem to be all around liked and versatile. Some great input in this thread. It is very hard to create perfect poses that fit every situation. Front line, reserve,..  Unless soldier are provided with separate arms to be adjusted for the situation. When in reserve change to advancing arms, when in front to firing, etc.

Its looks no more silly than having 18th/19th century unit marching shoulder arms while performing an assault?
Or having linear firefights with both standing looking at each other like on parade with musket shouldered?

Does not work for skirmishing, firing line and close combat.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:48:01 AM by Gribb »

Offline Rob Herrick

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 07:49:14 PM »
I think the big questions are these:
  • What scale are you playing on?
  • Are you basing individually or in groups
From my own personal experience, I gravitate toward marching poses/shouldered arms for a unit en masse with multiple figures per base. Napoleonics, American Civil War, Seven Years War, etc. Part of it is the smaller footprint, ease of storage and basing, but also it looks better moving around the battlefield. Plus the ease of moving units to contact, which is why I dislike any pike pose other than straight up.

For skirmish games, however, I do not like the shouldered arms/marching pose. It frankly looks rather silly when you've got figures spread out. For that, I prefer firing poses, kneeling poses, and especially reloading poses (not enough of those).

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 09:40:34 PM »
@ Rob Herrick

Good points. Both scale and what sort of period/engagement you want to depict. There are both big battles and smaller skirmishes of interest.
I am kind of curious as to what most gamers leviate towards. And as seen its quite varied what gamers/collectors want to collect. Advancing with musket levelled/at the porte seems much more sensible. Both as advancing towards the frontline and engaging the enemy. While shoulder arms is more wooden and limited.

Imagining two armies of marching/shoulder vs advancing levelled musket no matter were they would be placed reserve or front I think the levelled poses would look best and more lively.
The shoulder arms musket do look good on the table, but I would rate firing/reloading as just as important.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:44:03 PM by Gribb »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 11:19:04 AM »

Its looks no more silly than having 18th/19th century unit marching shoulder arms while performing an assault?
Or having linear firefights with both standing looking at each other like on parade with musket shouldered?

I thought you wanted feedback on Great War poses not 18th/19th century? The point is you can chose advancing or firing poses for infantry depending on your preference. For heavy weapons crews there isn't usually a choice other than them operating the weapon.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 02:50:40 PM »
I thought you wanted feedback on Great War poses not 18th/19th century? The point is you can chose advancing or firing poses for infantry depending on your preference. For heavy weapons crews there isn't usually a choice other than them operating the weapon.

I do. While different eras I think the point stands for the matter on poses and usage. It could be applied too 1914 with casual/walking with rifle levelled. My personal opinion is that post 1870 variety of poses would be relevant and realistic due to the changing nature of warfare. With every infantryman now expected to act as a skirmisher.

Even as reserves I think fire and movement works well due to the dynamic tactics and fast paced warfare. Aiming rifle for for fire can suit in a situation when the enemy is believed to be closed by. As I've read the combat of 1914 was chaotic, with it being difficult to actually locate were the enemy was.

Agreed on the heavy weapon crews.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 03:04:33 PM by Gribb »

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 03:48:36 PM »
For me 1914 is a big period and I wish there were more British firing poses - prone , behind cover and horses are all on my wish list.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
For me 1914 is a big period and I wish there were more British firing poses - prone , behind cover and horses are all on my wish list.

Thats great to hear. British skirmishing poses are planned for.
And I think Prone firing position would be a very suitable addition to the 1914 BEF. 
It would also depend on whether or not there is a real demand for such a pose.

What is Your opinion on reloading poses?

And about headpacks and those into that:

There are two upcoming head packs for conversion of 1914 British and German(pickelhaubes, did wonder about adding some with fieldmutze). 15 heads in each pack. The French already have Kepi and Zouave packs released.

Does anyone have any suggestions of units that should be done?
Fusilier Marines, German Jagers, Indians, Senegalaise Tiralleurs, Scottish Highlanders, ..?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 05:31:25 PM by Gribb »

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:18 PM »
Yes, reloading would be great. Head swapping is good too.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »
How about casualty poses? There have been some releases by gwm of British and German so far. In such a bloody conflict a table hould have quite a few casualties around. A ww1 gaming table with lots of casualties would look impressive. Falling wounded, crawling, lying dead,..

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 10:42:57 AM »
I like them and use them as markers  during my games. Rather than tokens or counters I use casualty figures because they look better and it’s easy to see what current status applies to a until plus they add to the drama of a scene. . 😬

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2018, 04:36:51 PM »
How is the interest in the Austrian-Hungarian army? Besides a few packs available on Brigade Games they have been neglected by manufacturers. They were a rather big player in the east(even if a poor one). And participated in many large actions against both Serbs and Russians.

While the infantry uniforms were not that elaborate(though cool pike-grey blue color) their cavalry units were still wearing pretty dashing uniforms at the start of the war.
How about a Austrian cavalry sculpt? They participated in the epic battle of Galicia and would provide color and dash to the table.

"Pack-horse of a cavalry machine gun detachment; members of these and the telegraph detachments were the only cavalry troops to wear the pike-grey field uniform in 1914. The machine gun is the standard Schwarzlose M07/12; the tripod Is attached on the far side of the pack saddle, and note ammunition boxes for the 250-round belts on top. Infantry MG sections used pack mules."

Source: https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/11/20/austro-hungarian-cavalry-wwi/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 04:44:20 PM by Gribb »

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
I tend to do late war (1916 on), and have some of the Brigade Games packs (and but for the absence of the stahlhelm, they can be painted up as later war - in fact, supply was so bad for the Austro-Hungarians that you could still find some troops in pike-grey instead of grey-green right to the end of the war).  I would have some interest in cavalry troopers wearing the cap.

Offline waterproof

• Librarian
  • would like to paint more
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2018, 06:21:02 AM »
 think Austria is wrongly underrepresented in wargaming. Against Russia, in Galicia or on the Isonzo River, the Austrian soldiers had bravely defeated.
I would be glad if we could buy the brigade games Austrians in Europe. And of course, the cavalry is an eye-catcher on the battlefield.
So I would be there.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »
Austro-Hungarian artillery crew are also lacking. Brigade Games do a mountain howitzer but no crew for it.