Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Good poses and missing units for 1914  (Read 10140 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Re: Good poses and missing units for 1914
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2019, 07:58:08 AM »
Austro Hungarians, Serbs and more choice for Russians (particularly Cavalry and Artillery with limbers etc).
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 01:42:55 AM »
Austro Hungarians, Serbs and more choice for Russians (particularly Cavalry and Artillery with limbers etc).

Agreed for the most part, but I believe more Russian infantry would be a nice asset. Are they available on the old world side of the pond? And at that sculpting quality up to date that could look natural on a gaming table with "modern" German sculpts like GWM and especially Mutton Chop? While there are plenty of variety out there, the quality is debatable. And some ranges are quite dated in quality and anatomy making them look very out of place on a gaming table Imo.

Siberia Miniatures have some nice Russians sculpts, but suffers from a limitation in poses(and customer service). Its more of a hobby enterprise for the owner and sculptor.

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
I don't know whether this has been mentioned since I last looked but how about British engineering troops in the process of blowing a bridge, laying charges or carrying supplies?

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:56 PM »
How would these figures scale out with the Renegade lines? I have just finished repainting the early French starter set (2 HMG's, 18 troops and 2 Officers) and would like to fill the unit out more. I just received some of the Artizan Legionnaires without neck protectors who are taller but slimmer than the Renegade figures. I suspect GWM would be smaller as well.

Edit, I just read the sticky about available figures. The GWM sound like a good option.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:37:12 AM by Dan »

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2019, 02:39:20 PM »
How would these figures scale out with the Renegade lines? I have just finished repainting the early French starter set (2 HMG's, 18 troops and 2 Officers) and would like to fill the unit out more. I just received some of the Artizan Legionnaires without neck protectors who are taller but slimmer than the Renegade figures. I suspect GWM would be smaller as well.

Edit, I just read the sticky about available figures. The GWM sound like a good option.

My apologies for late answer.
They would Imo suit as well with the Renegade as GWM. Personally I would not mix them with neither GWM, Steve Barber nor Mutton Chop due to the bulkiness and peculiar sculpting style of the Renegade figures. And I have all these to compare with.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 05:52:00 AM »
A bit late to the ‘pose’ discussion but I do have a useable 1914 collection of Renegade French and Germans and would welcome a far greater variety of poses.  For smaller scale skirmish actions I’d be tempted to have several options for each figure so that the model of the tabletop can be advancing, then swapped for a kneeling firing figure as it approaches the stone wall, then swapped for a running figure as it leaps the wall and runs to the next cover and so on (OCD, what OCD?).

Casualties - yes please, also fleeing figures abandoning equipment are always useful as ‘shock’ or ‘fleeing’ markers as well as for the general story-telling element above.

For 1914, NCO’s/officers directing traffic, troops carrying supplies/loading lorries or looting shops, medical staff with dressed wounded would all be great as would HQ elements.

There’s probably a list of poses emerging in this thread that could be used across any range. While I can see a standard advancing pose works well for large army level battles, the sort of smaller scale action typified by the Lardy rulesets (for example) really cry out for as wide a variety of poses as possible.

Of course, I’ve disregarded any ‘profitability’ issues in this wish list  :)
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
A bit late to the ‘pose’ discussion but I do have a useable 1914 collection of Renegade French and Germans and would welcome a far greater variety of poses.  For smaller scale skirmish actions I’d be tempted to have several options for each figure so that the model of the tabletop can be advancing, then swapped for a kneeling firing figure as it approaches the stone wall, then swapped for a running figure as it leaps the wall and runs to the next cover and so on (OCD, what OCD?).

Casualties - yes please, also fleeing figures abandoning equipment are always useful as ‘shock’ or ‘fleeing’ markers as well as for the general story-telling element above.

For 1914, NCO’s/officers directing traffic, troops carrying supplies/loading lorries or looting shops, medical staff with dressed wounded would all be great as would HQ elements.

There’s probably a list of poses emerging in this thread that could be used across any range. While I can see a standard advancing pose works well for large army level battles, the sort of smaller scale action typified by the Lardy rulesets (for example) really cry out for as wide a variety of poses as possible.

Of course, I’ve disregarded any ‘profitability’ issues in this wish list  :)

A lot of interesting suggestions, Thanks for the input :)
Fleeing figures would indeed add to the gaming atmosphere. A useful marker as much as casualties.
Troops carrying supplies would be useful too.

Masses of figures in limited advancing poses is more useful for earlier eras with troops in formations. I agree that in later periods like this it calls for more variety in troops to more truly recreate the nature of the warfare. Fire and advance seems to be the main poses called for.

For a new upcoming unit the two initial poses are kneeling firing and running at the trail.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2019, 04:46:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply Gribb. Too late for not using my Renegade figures as I have had them for over 15 years. I received some Great War Figures which vary in height quite a bit so the Artizan are a better mix. They may need a bit of Greenstuff to bulk them out to mix in the same squads but in different squads are good enough.

I'm not sure how big my mate wants to go with this so I may have enough foot figures already and just need some Cavalry.

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2019, 01:36:01 PM »
There are some prone/taking cover poses of French and Germans available that I think suit skirmishing scenarios you mention.

https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/107--28mm-world-war-one

As for Cavalry a new unit of charging German Hussars are hopefully released later this summer. Two variants with separate heads and an option to go for lance or sword.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »
There are some prone/taking cover poses of French and Germans available that I think suit skirmishing scenarios you mention.

https://www.stevebarbermodels.com/107--28mm-world-war-one

As for Cavalry a new unit of charging German Hussars are hopefully released later this summer. Two variants with separate heads and an option to go for lance or sword.

Even with the Brunswicker Skull!  :o
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
Even with the Brunswicker Skull!  :o

Aye, should be quite a sight ;)
There will also be another head version with full cloth cover for those who prefer that.