Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:56:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Removing figures off the base so I can re-base?  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Bohica

• Assistant
  • Co-Host of the Across The Pond Wargamers podcast
Removing figures off the base so I can re-base?
« on: December 06, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
I am looking for a little advice.  I have purchased a bunch of nicely painted Baccus 6mm Napoleonics that are already based.  However, I need to re-base them for Blucher on bases I have already purchased from Sally4th.  Keeping these figures on the bases they came on is not an option as they would not match the rest of my collection if I kept them as is.  The material they are glued to appears to be some form of MDF but it is much harder than other MDF I have run across.  Also, I can not seem to get an exacto knife or saw under the figure to carve them off.  So, my question is what suggestions do people out their have on how to remove figures from bases?   
It could be worse

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Removing figures off the base so I can re-base?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:46:22 PM »
Have you tried applying some pressure to the strip of figs to see if they come off? I've been able to do that with some figures based on MDF

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 09:17:09 PM »
I had some success with submerging the bases in some water and leaving them in the water for a couple of days. The wooden bases soak up the water and you can then removed the miniatures easily depending on the materials.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:01:10 PM »
Method 1: grab the base at either end with a pair of pliers and twist the base. Hopefully the figures will pop off.

Method 2:  get a cheap carving chisel and jewelers hammer (I actually use a largish bolt for a hammer).  Hold the base on its edge on your table, set the chisel edge against the top of the base as close to the figure as you can get, and lightly tap it to cut the figure loose. This works on nearly everything, but if you aren’t careful you will damage the figure’s cast on base. If the figures are sunk into holes in the base, this won’t work.

Method 3: if the figure is sunk into a hole in the base (or sitting on a washer or etc) you can make a tool to punch it out. Take a scrap of wood and drive a screw through it so the screw protrudes 1/4” or so. Lay the tool on the table screw point up. Center the hole in the base over the screw and press down to drive the figure out of the hole.

If none of those work, you are doomed. :)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:15 PM »
The water method works. It may take a while but it's knife, hammer and chisel free...so you ought to have all your figures and fingers at the end of the process.

Leave em to soak for a good while. Work smart, not hard.  ;)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:29:16 PM »
I had some success with submerging the bases in some water and leaving them in the water for a couple of days. The wooden bases soak up the water and you can then removed the miniatures easily depending on the materials.

Yep, that's what I do, depending on the glue, they will either start to lift off, or the mdf will become soggy and can be peeled off or separated with a sharp blade.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:42:40 AM »
The water method works. It may take a while but it's knife, hammer and chisel free...so you ought to have all your figures and fingers at the end of the process.

Leave em to soak for a good while. Work smart, not hard.  ;)

I’ve tried that, but the water always got drawn up into the paint and taking it off the feet and legs.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
If white glue, the water will do the trick nicely.  If super glue, might take a bit longer to soak off.  If other types of glue, no clue.  But I'd try that before any sort of more destructive measure - especially with 6 mm.  As to feet and lower legs issue raised, at that scale the flocking ought to cover any issues I'd guess (though you'll know that better than me).

Good luck!

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »
I’ve tried that, but the water always got drawn up into the paint and taking it off the feet and legs.

Haven't experienced that but I only used it on 28mm miniatures, maybe you used too much water as I only use enough water to soak the bases so the water never reaches the legs although the feet may come a bit wet but never experienced a significant loss of paint maybe it depends on the varnish and paints used. That said in my opinion still the easiest solution available for wooden bases.

Offline Tadgie

• Bookworm
  • Too many projects. Too little time.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:06:58 PM »
I recently watched a pulp alley video of Dave using nail clippers to carefully cut away excess metal on base. That may work?

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »

get a flat tray and a kettle, put the figures in the tray, pour until the water surface tension laps around the feet of the figures. Works every time, unless it's epoxy. The water should not wick into the paint at all.