Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winsor & Newton matt varnish - no longer matt enough????  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Winsor & Newton matt varnish - no longer matt enough????
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 09:24:37 PM »
I think every bottle or can varies a wee bit.
I’ve been using W&N Galeria, brush on, for several years now, and I’ve NEVER had a problem with it not being matt. Steve you must have been unlucky with a dodgy batch...
I do store it upside down, and use the gloop collected in the lid with a little of the carrier added and a splash of clean water mixed in to thin it for application.

The problem I have found with it, is that after a few months, with the bottle still half full, the occasional white spot appears on the model when dry. Like a tiny solid lump of matt material. This has to be scraped off. When you start to see this white spotting from a bottle of the stuff, it’s time to chuck that bottle away and buy a new one. They only cost the price of a couple of pints, so it’s not exactly punishingly pricey.

yep, I used to use the brush-on a few years back - dead matt as you say, but the white spots put me off.
although the spray can is still giving me flat matt, two bottles of the brush-on are failing, leaving a satin sheen, one I've had for a year or three, one bought last week.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:43:38 PM by Bloggard »

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »
I have always placed some drops of Tamiya Matt medium in to my jars of Galleria Matt Varnish and this has helped to reduce the shine.

https://dampfpanzerwagon.blogspot.com/2009/04/matt-varnish-my-latest-recipe.html

Tony

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
excellent tip - thanks for the info.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »
As I was experimenting with a new way of imitating rust on a squad of models I'm doing at the moment, I needed to seal the effect before proceeding with subsequent layers (I was using pigment powders).

So I was in need of a brush on matt varnish, as spraying it on as usual would  mean losing the shine on other metallic parts I had already painted. This should ultimately also serve me as a lesson in careful planning, but I digress... ::)

I bought the ubiquitous W&N Galeria Matt Varnish at the local art supply shop last Saturday, heeded all the warnings about shaking well, storing upside down, etc, etc. I applied the varnish that evening, and let it dry thoroughly till yesterday.

It had dried almost completely matt (only the slightest of sheens is visible, and then only on select surfaces), and as far as I'm concerned, it did exactly what it says on the tin. So my bottle at least was fine, and for my purposes (sealing in the powders to facilitate further painting) it has proven adequate.

Is it the most matt varnish I have ever used?

No. That was the small spray can of Testors Dullcote I once bought from overseas (at great effort and cost), but for what it is, it's more than good enough. Especially since I will be applying a final coat of spray on matt varnish once the minis are completely done anyway.
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline digid

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 05:17:59 AM »
I am in the US, but the last few cans that I purchased are also not as flat as the previous. I have gone back to using testers dull cote.

Dale

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 04:14:25 AM »
I have found brushing on Tamiya Flat base mixed with Galleria Matt Varnish to be a dead flat finish. Testors Dullcote the last few years has been hit or miss for me.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;