Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Suggestions Needed!  (Read 2987 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Rules Suggestions Needed!
« on: December 08, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »
I have, perhaps, all the fantasy minis I shall ever need in this life (hah). I now need some rules to give me the necessary motivation to get more of them painted  o_o

What I would really like to find, is a relatively simple set of rules which lets me paint a few minis at a time, play some games with the minis, paint a few more and add them.

I would like to be able to start with 1-2 heroes/characters, and 1-2 groups of grunts/henchmen of about five members each. Individually based minis.

The rules should allow for story-driven scenario play with asymmetric objectives, and granular enough for interesting small games, but also simple enough to be scaled up by adding more groups and/or enlarging existing groups.

The simpler the force-building, the better, as I want to get stuck in and do not care much for list building/meta.

I am looking at GoalSystem Fantasy, but unless I am missing something, henchmen groups are not covered, and the system does not seem very well suited for larger skirmishes, either.

Is there a set of rules out there covering the above, that I have not yet become aware off, please?

Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Re: Rules Suggestions Needed!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
Do you mean not too competitive, RPG-style, perhaps with someone acting as Game Master?  :D

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:21:11 PM »
Do you mean not too competitive, RPG-style, perhaps with someone acting as Game Master?  :D

Preferably without the need of a GM, but we never play in a hard competitive way around here.

The reason I want small groups of grunts is that I get bored so darn quickly when painting units.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
Song of Blades and Heroes would be a good starting point for small sized forces. The basic combat and activation mechanisms are simple, but very effective. Then there are lots of special rules / traits you can add to customise your forces.

As you build forces you could look at Dragon Rampant. This is several small units a side.

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 08:53:06 PM »
I second Song of Blades and Heroes! The "advanced" edition adds a good deal more spells and a reaction mechanic. There's an expansion for campaigns. It's a nice rules set that is simple at its core, but you can scale up the complexity with more models and expansion books.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
Does this mean Ss&SS is no longer working for you or are you after something that is competitive? Would Blood Eagle not fit the bill?  I believe it allows for small group activations.
Vanguard and the skirmishy game from GW  (the name eludes me) look interesting but I don't have the rules for these to really comment.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
Fistful of Lead will be getting a Fantasy supplement down the road.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 09:30:49 PM »
First, let me thank you all for taking the time to comment!

Song of Blades and Heroes would be a good starting point for small sized forces. The basic combat and activation mechanisms are simple, but very effective. Then there are lots of special rules / traits you can add to customise your forces.

As you build forces you could look at Dragon Rampant. This is several small units a side.

I second Song of Blades and Heroes! The "advanced" edition adds a good deal more spells and a reaction mechanic. There's an expansion for campaigns. It's a nice rules set that is simple at its core, but you can scale up the complexity with more models and expansion books.

Song of Blades does not really scale well, IMO, and, sadly, I am not a fan of the Rampant system. It has a lot of good ideas, but I think it all too often comes down to a few bad rolls who loses, instead of the decisions of the players.

Does this mean Ss&SS is no longer working for you or are you after something that is competitive? Would Blood Eagle not fit the bill?  I believe it allows for small group activations.
Vanguard and the skirmishy game from GW  (the name eludes me) look interesting but I don't have the rules for these to really comment.

Yes, I would like something PvP; SS&SS if fine for solo and co-op, but I really have most of the stuff I need for that painted already. I would like to start 'new' forces from scratch without painting for months before the first game - I tend to lose focus and get diverted by other subjects when a project draws out.

I recently purchased Vanguard, and it might scratch that itch (have not read the rules in full just yet).

Blood Eagle is fine for smaller warbands, but I don't remember it as having 'non-character' groups.

Fistful of Lead will be getting a Fantasy supplement down the road.

I don't have any of the newer incarnations of the FfoL-system, so I don't know if they allow for 'cannon-fodder' groups? I remember the original Old West rules as fast and fun, which is why I am planning to get Galactic Heroes and Horse & Musket for other purposes after Christmas

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
FFoL has cannon fodder groups, we’ve used them in our medieval, gothic and old west games. 3 figures that used d8 instead of the normal d10 and are killed with one wound. 

Works very well.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 09:51:27 PM »
Warlord are releasing a set of generic fantasy rules in January.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
FFoL has cannon fodder groups, we’ve used them in our medieval, gothic and old west games. 3 figures that used d8 instead of the normal d10 and are killed with one wound. 

Works very well.

Thanks, I shall be looking forward of those, then, groups of three models are even more manageable, from a painter's view. Would like to find something else in the meantime to spur me on, though.

Warlord are releasing a set of generic fantasy rules in January.

Interesting, hadn't heard that before!  :)

To elaborate:

Would Tribal cater for some of the attributes I'm after? I have been wanting to get those rules for a while (but they are on my Xmas wishlist, so I'm not buying them until after the holidays).

Anybody playing GoalSystem Delves? In the other GS sets, they have Henchmen groups, basically working as one character, removing a model for each 'wound' suffered, but I am not sure if that concept is carried through in Delves?

And to be more precise: I am not after a 'battle' system - I have God of Battles for that (which I like a lot), and I shall probably try out KoW somewhen next year, if I feel that kind of itch.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:05:29 PM »
Have you tried FUBAR? There are several fantasy and medieval variants, and they're all free. I came across them when building up 15mm units for Xenos Rampant, and what got my son and me into the game was the fact that you can play with units of any size.

The rules are explicitly aimed at asymmetrical games, and they work very well.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 11:57:50 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 01:01:37 AM »
Have you tried FUBAR? There are several fantasy and medieval variants, and they're all free. I came across them when building up 15mm units for Xenos Rampant, and what got my son and I into the game was the fact that you can play with units of any size.

The rules are explicitly aimed at asymmetrical games, and they work very well.

I think I have the original WWII-aimed rules, somewhere. Might also be a solution, thanks!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 01:25:45 AM »
Try Rangers of Shadow Deep. Just played my first ever solo game and really enjoyed it. I think it should hit the marks you need. Very much scenario driven, but it is heroes-players vs baddies-in-game AI. Totally fun!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 01:33:56 AM »
Try Rangers of Shadow Deep. Just played my first ever solo game and really enjoyed it. I think it should hit the marks you need. Very much scenario driven, but it is heroes-players vs baddies-in-game AI. Totally fun!

OK, tell me a bit about the mechanics of the game, then - it has an unusually hefty price-tag for a pdf?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:29:41 AM by Argonor »