Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vichy tanks?  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Licantropo

• Assistant
Vichy tanks?
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:48:55 AM »
Hi all, what tanks can i use if i want to make a vichy french force? I cannot find information about that, any can help? Thanks!!!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Vichy tanks?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 01:20:52 AM »
In which theatre? In Europe they were stripped back to being an internal security force, and not trusted enough for the good stuff. Elsewhere they would have had what was available to the Pre-War French forces.

I'm no authority though, and can't comment on specifics. I doubt that they would have had much access to German or foreign captured equipment. Rather if they had many vehicles it would have likely been outdated by the time the Allies showed up in Europe (I'm picturing something similar to second line anti-partisan forces, who'd usually have older light tanks and armoured cars).

At least from what I'd read about French tank development during the Vichy period, they weren't trusted enough to go anywhere near contemporary German vehicles, but that may have been different in the field under the circumstances.

Offline El Grego

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
    • The Pewter-Pixel Wars
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 01:31:51 AM »
This is something that I would like to know as well, and I hope Lou sees this soon    ;)   and gives some good details.

Seems to me that the Renault FT was fairly common in the Levant and Algeria, perhaps the R35 as well.  It will depend on which particular theatre one looks at.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 03:11:22 AM »
Vichy Tank Battalions in the Levant and North Africa were equipped with FT or R35 tanks. The various Chasseur  d'Afrique units boasted two squadrons (iirc) of more modern types; Char D1, H35, H39 and S35. These were typically of one type in a squadron, although different squadrons in the same regiment might operate different types.

AFAIK no FCM, AMC or AMR went out of France and definitely no Char B.

Lou will probably provide more detailed info, possibly even the registration plate numbers.   ;)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 04:09:03 AM »
Lou will probably provide more detailed info, possibly even the registration plate numbers.   ;)

lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:16:15 AM »
You could use the below armoured cars in addition to the above mentioned tanks in North Africa and the Levant....

Laffly 80AM armoured car
Panhard 165/175 armoured car
Laffly 50am armoured car

You didn't mention a scale but these are available in 1/56 from Mad Bob Miniatures...
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 08:39:44 AM »
In Syria/ Lebanon your most common, running, item would be the Renault R-35. There were two battalions worth at the start of Operation Exporter.

In Algeria there were a few dozen D-1s and a handful of Hotchkiss H-35. Morocco had a battalion’s worth of R-35.

In Indochina the French had a handful of FT-17, few of which were operational, olus they had a few Renault UE carriers.

After the Failed Anglo-French attack on Dakar, Vichy sent 22 Somua S-35s to guard the colony.

No tanks in Madagascar.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Licantropo

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 09:41:50 AM »
Wow, thanks all for the fast answer and take u time to do it, i apreciate a lot!!! :-*

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 09:48:46 AM »
http://chars-francais.net/2015/index.php has plenty of photos (and a lot of the Char B1bis matricules (registration numbers)!). It's French language but easy enough to negotiate.
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
I’ve got a fair bit of Vichy armour going on here:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=52964.1365

Mid project, which has stalled somewhat over the last few weeks, thanks to real life...

Can’t vouch that it’s all completely historically accurate of course  ;)

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
From a source I don't remember re: later North Africa in Tunisia:

The Free French travelling with the British 8th Army only had scratch armored forces built up from cast-offs, but the very sizable Vichy French Armee d'Afrique forces in Tunisia and Algeria managed to store away a fair number of tanks, which re-appeared to fight the Germans and Italians during the Tunisian campaign. The most common tanks early in the campaign were Renault D1s, with a fair few Laffly armored cars. By December 1942 / January 1943 as many as 23 S35 tanks had made it to the Tunisian front from Senegal. In March/April 1943 one company of 5e RCA were re-equipped with Valentines (I keep trying to confirm, I THINK they were Valentine IIIs), and by April/May the first steps were taken in re-equipping the French forces with US provided armor.

By the closing phases of the Tunisian campaign the GBF (Groupement Blinde Francais) operated an eclectic mix including:
- A squadron of Valentines
- A squadron of S35s
- A squadron (from 9th GACA) with M10 TDs
- A company of Stuarts

It seems the last action of the S35s was against Pz IVG's on Cape Bon on May 9, 1943.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 09:39:04 PM »
This is a good resource - I was wondering the same thing recently when I came across some French Foreign Legion figures I had picked up.  Would they have had tanks in the Pacific theater?
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 12:45:17 AM »
in late 1940 : ( quite unchanged till Torch )
Maroc :

Casablanca : 1er Regiment Chasseurs d'Afrique : 45 tanks : R35, H35 & H39 - 18 AMD laffly 50AM

Algérie :

12eme Chasseurs d'Afrique 23 Tanks Somua S35

Oran : 2eme Regiment Chasseurs d'Afrique : 45 tanks D1 - 18 AMD laffly 50AM

Alger : 5eme Regiment Chasseurs d'Afrique : 45 tanks D1 - 9 AMD laffly 50AM - 9 schneider P16

Constantine : 3eme Regiment Chasseurs d'Afrique : 45 (?) tanks FT18 & R35 - 18 Panhard 165/175

Tunisie

4éme regiment Chasseurs d'Afrique : Laffly Vincenne  Laffly White  tanks D2

the 23 somua unit was sent in Morocco december 1940, and sent to Dakkar in june 1941 . back in Morocco in december 1942 , then in Algeria ...
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:59 AM »
This is a good resource - I was wondering the same thing recently when I came across some French Foreign Legion figures I had picked up.  Would they have had tanks in the Pacific theater?
Not quite the Pacific but the French in Indochina had some FT17s and UE carriers, including a locally produced variant with a casemate mounted MG. Things were considerably more varied after WWII.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 11:23:54 AM »
you can add Laffly 50 and locally produced armoured cars with 3 MMG in China

in Indochina 1940 , 6 FT tanks were still usables,  some Citroen Kegresse P104 , some Laffly 50 ...

the UE carriers with casemate mounted MMG were a Chinese command to Renault, who never reached China . landing in Indochina and were used by the French Army