Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:09:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685058
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Home-made gamemats question  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Home-made gamemats question
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »

I've recently found myself in need of some larger than normal gamemats, and as the commercial versions over 6x4 tend towards the expensive I thought I'd have a bash at making some.
 I was going for a fairly simple approach: some large heavy cotton/canvas decorators dropcloths covered in a (fairly thin) mix of latex caulk & sand (then either covered in static grass/flock or just painted) before a final coat or two of thinned PVA.
 I have a couple of questions:
 How robust a mat is this approach likely to produce? &,
 Can you roll them up for storage? (or is that likely to encourage the caulk & dropcloth to part company?)
 Many thanks for all advice :)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Re: Home-made gamemats question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »
I've made a cloth using the method you describe, although I used material rather than drop cloths, the sort they make fleece tops out of, not sure what it's called.

It is very robust and there have been no problems with storing it rolled around a piece of plastic piping.

So long as you don't make the caulking too thick you should be ok.  I suggest you just experiment with a few small pieces.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
This is the method that I used.  No sand just texture.  I found the trick is in the first layer of caulk.  Spread it into the grain of the canvas and let that set.  That will give the next layer something to adhere to. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRMoIZfPPg
I can fold mine and regularly leave them in the terrain box to bring to the club.  Mine have been in constant use for five years with no ill effect.  They just need to be unfolded once in a while so they do not crease and leave ridges in the mat.  From what I understand added sand and flock will eventually come off.
Hope this helps.
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 12:56:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies, given the relative cheapness of what I've planned, I'll try one with & one without sand & see how they stand up, cheers :)

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
I've just finished making one (calico cloth, caulk, sand added on top, thin layer of watered down PVA, paint). The sand I used was "sharp sand" which has more little stones in and I've found that some of the larger ones of those are tending to come off - not in large quantities, nor that you'd particularly notice. The sand itself is absolutely rock-solid. The whole thing rolls up easily with no problems.

Next time, I'll use silver sand for most of the cloth with just some patches of sharp sand for variety.

Offline roberto

• Assistant
    • A frightful bestiary
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 06:40:58 PM »
I'm planning on doing one as well. Just wondering at what point would you add static grass? I was thinking of doing it after the caulk has set and been dry brushed, by the sounds of it thin PVA shouldn't be a problem.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »

Roberto - I would think it would be best if the flock/static grass were added while the caulk were still sticky enough to grab onto it - the PVA is just to add another layer of protection (I forgot to mention that I planned to put all the caulk in a bucket & add plenty of cheap dark brown paint before smearing it over the dropcloths - also don't forget to weigh them down at the edges or they'll likely roll up as the caulk dries).
An alternative to static grass/flock could be wood flour (extremely fine sawdust) - it can be dyed  - if you can get hold of it easily.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
Roberto - I would think it would be best if the flock/static grass were added while the caulk were still sticky enough to grab onto it - the PVA is just to add another layer of protection (I forgot to mention that I planned to put all the caulk in a bucket & add plenty of cheap dark brown paint before smearing it over the dropcloths - also don't forget to weigh them down at the edges or they'll likely roll up as the caulk dries).
An alternative to static grass/flock could be wood flour (extremely fine sawdust) - it can be dyed  - if you can get hold of it easily.

Don't forget you can buy decorators caulk precoloured brown for not much more than the plain white stuff.

I've added Javis Fine Turf scatter to my mat, as my experiments with static grass resulted in flattened grass when the mat had been stored rolled.

http://javis.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1372&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Here's a shot of my mat in use in one of our old west games