Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crowned helmets – question  (Read 858 times)

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
Crowned helmets – question
« on: September 29, 2021, 12:41:34 PM »
I am working on 3 boxes of Norman knights from Conquest Games, that’s 45 riders. Some of the heads available were with crowned helmets and I made 3 or 4 guys with them. Now I have second thoughts and would like to ask the question. Could richer knights get such a crown as an ornament on their helmets or would that be strictly restricted for a king, or a general of a warband? Should I scrape the crowns off on all but one figure who supposed to be the commander or such decoration is not a horrible misrepresentation of history?

The figure on the photograph is not done, it’s work in progress.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Re: Crowned helmets – question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 04:10:19 PM »
A crown would signify rank of some sort.  Be it a simple circlet or more impressive depending on your rank and standing.  I would suspect William would have frowned heavily on anyone wearing a crown in his entourage more impressive than his own.  I generally try to avoid them on rank and file, and if I were to leave one on a unit commander I would shave it down to a simple coronet/circlet.

Even at this early date we know the Holy Roman emperors struggled with the papacy over who could crown royalty, and legitimacy was not assured if you failed to do it correctly.  William also received a new crown upon conquering England, and had to go through a new ceremony to achieve legitimacy.  The Normans in Italy had troubles achieving legitimate titles and rights until Guiscard, implying an unwillingness to legitimize how they garnered their 'crowns'.  They may have worn them, but titles were not fully conferred until Guiscard.

Still, they are your minis and if you like them, keep them.  It is possible minor nobles wore something on certain occasions.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 04:15:22 PM by Maniac »
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Ranthony

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 10:29:18 PM »
A crown would signify rank of some sort.  Be it a simple circlet or more impressive depending on your rank and standing.  I would suspect William would have frowned heavily on anyone wearing a crown in his entourage more impressive than his own.  I generally try to avoid them on rank and file, and if I were to leave one on a unit commander I would shave it down to a simple coronet/circlet.

Even at this early date we know the Holy Roman emperors struggled with the papacy over who could crown royalty, and legitimacy was not assured if you failed to do it correctly.  William also received a new crown upon conquering England, and had to go through a new ceremony to achieve legitimacy.  The Normans in Italy had troubles achieving legitimate titles and rights until Guiscard, implying an unwillingness to legitimize how they garnered their 'crowns'.  They may have worn them, but titles were not fully conferred until Guiscard.

Still, they are your minis and if you like them, keep them.  It is possible minor nobles wore something on certain occasions.

An excellent an informative answer that I hadn't realised I wanted to know.

Such a vast breadth of knowledge here on LAF, I sometimes feel like I'm at the school I wish I'd attended.
Exodus 1:10 KJV
Come on, let us deal wisely with them; lest they multiply, and it come to pass, that, when there falleth out any war, they join also unto our enemies, and fight against us, and so get them up out of the land.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 01:04:58 PM »
Another possibility would be to not paint the "crown" as a golden crown, but as a steel reinforcing band on the helmet. It might look better with the crenellations nipped off, but could work? Think of it as a field repair rather than binning your helmet...