Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686598
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is the best dragon out there?  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: What is the best dragon out there?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »

Great spined or go home.

And it's a steal at only 15 quid...

Yeah, in 1984! It's about £250 on ebay now. Great figure though.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 04:19:01 PM »
For their price, the Wizkids unpainted dragons are really impressive. Not exactly what you asked for, but since the Bones dragons were mentioned I figured it was fair to bring these up too. I got the Red Dragon recently, and it's pretty cool.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
Guys, please, this is a textbook example of how to make the internet worse. OP asks a simple question, what is a "superb" dragon to be the "crown" of his collection, citing examples that the contenders would sit next to,  and half the respondents are listing the first dragon that springs to mine. Bones? Wizkids? Schleich?  Are you really putting these forward as superb specimens of miniatures?

I realize people are following an instinct to be helpful but consider the signal to noise ratio of the internet, and consider that e-ink also produces waste. A thread with four valuable responses is a hundred times more useful than one with four valuable responses and ten not so. Sorry to let my cantankerous nature show but I, too, am speaking from an instinct to make LAF a better place for all.  :)

There are some good responses here. The Heresy and Confrontation dragons are great suggestions. I can speak personally to dozens of other great dragons but none not already mentioned that could unseat these or the OP's examples for the specific criteria mentioned with examples so will save them for an appropriate thread. nickelkers, though, if you have a means to pick up Cang you may want to jump on it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:56:41 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 07:18:14 PM »
Really? That's your example of making the internet worse? Not trolling, threatening, doxxing, swatting or any of a myriad of actively harmeful shit that goes on, but people being TOO HELPFUL? Maybe, just maybe, someone else is also looking for cool dragons at a slightly different price point and is inspired by what they find in the thread.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
Really? That's your example of making the internet worse? Not trolling, threatening, doxxing, swatting or any of a myriad of actively harmeful shit that goes on, but people being TOO HELPFUL? Maybe, just maybe, someone else is also looking for cool dragons at a slightly different price point and is inspired by what they find in the thread.

This.

Love the Heresy dragon...will I buy one for my GoT project? Nope....well maybe...ok, probably yes.

Am i more likely to buy the one of the Bones dragons? Almost certainly.

Should I start a separate thread, asking for reasonably priced dragons..whatever that means, because everyone’s “typical” spend is anything but typical? Why bother, when LAF is already such a vibrant and informative forum.  8)

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 09:44:42 PM »
The Kingdom Death:Monster Dragon King is pretty nice if you're looking for something a bit outside of the standard fantasy design.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 09:53:10 PM »
The original post asked for 'superb' dragons and a few people threw some examples of what they use in. I can see what Spooktalker is saying but personally I'd rather have a friendly, helpful thread than a load of arguments and sh#t. There's some great dragons on this thread already but I'm always happy to see more. It was great to see that old Citadel dragon, for example. Let's try and keep the examples to what we think are good ones, as per the original post, but there's not too much harm done if a few others are thrown in.  :)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »
The Middle Earth Smaug by Games Workshop has always impressed me. Not cheap.

Sticking to Games Workshop, the Carmine Dragon by Forgeworld is also very nice but I don't think it's particularly big.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 10:48:21 PM »
I personally think the Middle Earth Smaug by Minifigs (c1976?) is a good looking dragon.
Not huge, not festooned with detail, but very ...characterful.

To be fair he would fit in better with modern 15mm now, and his style is probably more Ivor the Engine than Peter Jackson, but I liked him.

For the bigger is better team I would probably say none of the traditional miniature makers would fit the bill. If you want big and impressive ignore figure makers and gamers, look at house furnishings. You get some decorative statuettes/sculptures that are sold to sit on shelves or bookcases that are more impressive (and often cheaper) than gaming pieces. They don't have the constraints that gaming dragons have, so may be less durable if you start pushing them around on a table-top, but they are designed to be show beasts.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 10:50:17 PM »
Also, it may depend if you are just looking at Western artistic styles or going for something oriental, there are some really good-looking Chinese dragons to be had

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2018, 11:09:08 PM »

Picked mine up in 91 and did it as a birthday pressie for my wife in 01.  Still my favorite. 
Got this one in the last reaper bones KS.  I have not worked on it but it is impressive.

Snitchy sends
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »
I'm quite impressed with those Pathfinder ones actually. And for the price I'll definitely be getting one.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »

No, not being too helpful, being pointedly unhelpful, but convincing one's self of the opposite. For most people talking on the internet I think deep down, it comes more  from a desire to put one's own self forward rather than to help. I can't tell you how many answers I have searched for on the internet to find four page threads of non-experts opining on the best answer they can come up with off the top of their head, and no answer of merit.

I didn't claim this was among the worst problems, just that each such post makes the internet a little worse rather than better, so your reference to threatening ect is fallacious. Though in my personal experience I never encounter those things or the danger of encountering those things, simply by choosing where I go. Whereas I encounter the problem I'm talking about all the time. And I only bother mentioning it because we have a cultivated community here where people consider other people. I'm highlighting the need to respect the time we are implicitly taking up in many other people's days by posting. Attention and time are precious commodities, more so now than ever.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2018, 12:57:33 AM »
No, not being too helpful, being pointedly unhelpful, but convincing one's self of the opposite. For most people talking on the internet I think deep down, it comes more  from a desire to put one's own self forward rather than to help. I can't tell you how many answers I have searched for on the internet to find four page threads of non-experts opining on the best answer they can come up with off the top of their head, and no answer of merit.

I didn't claim this was among the worst problems, just that each such post makes the internet a little worse rather than better, so your reference to threatening ect is fallacious. Though in my personal experience I never encounter those things or the danger of encountering those things, simply by choosing where I go. Whereas I encounter the problem I'm talking about all the time. And I only bother mentioning it because we have a cultivated community here where people consider other people. I'm highlighting the need to respect the time we are implicitly taking up in many other people's days by posting. Attention and time are precious commodities, more so now than ever.

Yes attention and time are precious. And I just lost time reading your post when I was hoping to found more suggestions on what dragons I might consider to purchase. Thanks for keeping the internet clean and on topic.  ::)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2018, 01:18:10 AM »
Easy answer is easy.  Even after all these years, Grenadier's old Teronus the Ultimate Dragon is still, well, the ultimate dragon.  Accept no substitutes.  Currently available through Mirliton for quite a reasonable price.

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=teronus-the-ultimate-dragon&cName=fantasy-2528mm-dragons