Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is the best dragon out there?  (Read 7503 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: What is the best dragon out there?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2018, 01:32:57 AM »
They're hard to find these days, but the Todd McFarlane dragon series was reasonably priced and nicely painted and had a huge lineup. Might find some cheap ones on ebay or other shops online here or there.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 06:44:03 AM »
No, not being too helpful, being pointedly unhelpful, but convincing one's self of the opposite. For most people talking on the internet I think deep down, it comes more  from a desire to put one's own self forward rather than to help. I can't tell you how many answers I have searched for on the internet to find four page threads of non-experts opining on the best answer they can come up with off the top of their head, and no answer of merit.

I didn't claim this was among the worst problems, just that each such post makes the internet a little worse rather than better, so your reference to threatening ect is fallacious. Though in my personal experience I never encounter those things or the danger of encountering those things, simply by choosing where I go. Whereas I encounter the problem I'm talking about all the time. And I only bother mentioning it because we have a cultivated community here where people consider other people. I'm highlighting the need to respect the time we are implicitly taking up in many other people's days by posting. Attention and time are precious commodities, more so now than ever.

?????????????????????????? I am really confused

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »
I can't wait to receive this next year- ref the Joan of Arc Kickstarter
Eric,

Isnt JoA 15mm scale?

Grimm

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »
Eric,

Isnt JoA 15mm scale?

Grimm

yes - but the dragon is massive - could work for 28mm

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
Easy answer is easy.  Even after all these years, Grenadier's old Teronus the Ultimate Dragon is still, well, the ultimate dragon.  Accept no substitutes.  Currently available through Mirliton for quite a reasonable price.

http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=teronus-the-ultimate-dragon&cName=fantasy-2528mm-dragons

That's actually rather nice, I wasn't even aware of that one.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2018, 09:23:35 AM »
Can we please focus on just posting excellent examples of dragons. I do understand both sides of the discussion but I'd rather just be made aware of great dragon figures I didn't know about. So, please don't fill the thread up with every dragon figure you've ever seen, and likewise, please let's not argue about what should be a pleasant thread. My main disappointment so far is that I can't afford that lovely old Citadel dragon.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
How do you measure "best". Some of the examples given here are laughable if the OP wants grandeur and detail. It's kinda a pointless thread.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
How do you measure "best". Some of the examples given here are laughable if the OP wants grandeur and detail. It's kinda a pointless thread.

It's in the eye of the beholder I guess. It would be boring if we all liked the same thing. It would be preferable if people posted what they genuinely considered to be good examples.

If you think the thread is pointless, don't read it, I've enjoyed most of it. Not these bits though.  :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:52:06 AM by Elk101 »

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »
Guys, please, this is a textbook example of how to make the internet worse. OP asks a simple question, what is a "superb" dragon to be the "crown" of his collection, citing examples that the contenders would sit next to,  and half the respondents are listing the first dragon that springs to mine. Bones? Wizkids? Schleich?  Are you really putting these forward as superb specimens of miniatures?

I stand by my Bones recommendation. There are better sculpts out there, but value for money I think they're hard to beat.

One of the large Bones dragons, well painted and based, could easily be the "crown" of a collection. Bones gets a bad reputation, but from my experience the plastic works better the larger the model is. Many of the human sized miniatures have weird bends (usually backwards) but the ogres are lovely.

While I didnt post the Sleich ones I think they're worth posting too. If you want a dragon that looks like the dragons on GoT they're pretty much spot on and different people have different ideas on what a dragon should look like.

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »

Meirce?

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
Another vote for the Confrontayion Titan Dragon of Arkalash or whatever.

It was available from Legendarian in Russia. I have no experience of dealing with them so held off, but I was sorely tempted.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2018, 09:22:30 AM »
I picked up the Confrontation Dragon a year ago in the Cmon sale. Awesome value for $60 US! Better paint it some day (better buy a bigger house some day)

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 12:35:38 PM »
Are you really putting these forward as superb specimens of miniatures?
Yes.  I presume you think "superb miniature" can only mean super-expensive cartoony like GW, right?
Hard to tell since you didn't make any suggestion yourself.

Asking what is the "best dragon" is 100% subjective, so you're obviously going to get dozens of answers.
What you like isn't what others like.
- Scott

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Let's concentrate on the dragons people!
Cheers
Elk101 (board moderator)