Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bunkerflak (15mm, 3d print)  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Bunkerflak (15mm, 3d print)
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:39:09 AM »

Not a great model, nor a great print, but it should give those Matildas something to worry about

These things were originally intended for the German invasion of Czechoslovakia in WWII, but in the end military action was unnecessary there and they didn't see service until later. There were some — about ten, I think — used in Poland and France, and later on about fifteen in Russia. The last of them was lost in 1943.

Essentially, it consists of an 88mm AA gun mounted on a heavy half track; at first, the 12-tonne SdKfz 8, and later the 18-tonne SdKfz 9 Famo. They were originally intended as bunker-busters, and they did that job extremely well in Poland. In France, their role expanded to anti-tank duties as well. The first designs didn't allow the 88mm to be used in its original anti-aircraft role, but the later ones on the 18-tonne vehicle could.

This model is supposed to be the 18-tonne version, which is a bit of a pity, as I really wanted the version that served in France in 1940 which differed in several respects. The earlier model had no drop-down sides to extend the fighting platform, and the cab was just plated over with a small cupola for the driver. However, this will do as a generic representation for the wargames table.

I found some Peter Pig 15mm artillerymen I bought a while ago, no mean feat I can tell you, considering the appalling shambles that is my workroom. I only put three on the vehicle, far fewer than the actual crew required to operate an 88, but any more and it becomes intolerably crowded. Which it would have been, I suppose

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
Re: Bunkerflak (15mm, 3d print)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 06:44:01 AM »
Battlefront do/did the earlier BuflaK in their Mid War Monsters series. They may be available somewhere. Don't know of any 3D prints though. http://www.milsims.com.au/node/131314

The early ones had only a small crew, (driver, commander, gunner, and loader) so three on the gun platform isn't necessarily wrong. Some nice pictures of the various types here  https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35329
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:47:30 AM by Etranger »
"It's only a flesh wound...."

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 07:08:25 AM »
They look great for 3D prints.
Well done.
Flatpack

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 08:28:06 AM »
Another nice pair of vehicles.

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
Battlefront do/did the earlier BuflaK in their Mid War Monsters series. They may be available somewhere.

Still available in their online store. https://www.flamesofwar.com/DesktopModules/Store/Thumbnail.aspx?IP=~/Portals/0/all_images/german/Boxes/GBX42.jpg&IW=710&IH=400

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 08:59:42 PM »
Nice work and more than acceptable. The crew fit in well and the overall effect is great.

Offline stormbird

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 10:06:55 PM »
Hi there

Greatly admire your wonderful models.

You seemed to have cracked both your 3D printer and producing good looking models from the prints ?

Is there anywhere a noob could go for some guidance ?

I.e

Are you still happy with your printer ? Ender 3 FDM still ?
What are the costs/model [ apart from buying the printer ]
How long do 15mm models take to print [ my preferred scale on a cost/space basis ]
What do the models looking like straight from the printer ?
How much clean up do you do ?

all the best Paul

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 12:20:34 AM »
Greatly admire your wonderful models.
You seemed to have cracked both your 3D printer and producing good looking models from the prints ?

Is there anywhere a noob could go for some guidance ?
I.e
Are you still happy with your printer ? Ender 3 FDM still ?
What are the costs/model [ apart from buying the printer ]
How long do 15mm models take to print [ my preferred scale on a cost/space basis ]
What do the models looking like straight from the printer ?
How much clean up do you do ?

1) Yes, I'm still happy with it. Yes, still an Ender 3. I'd like to buy a DLP resin printer, but unless I come into some money that's not likely any time soon.

2) Including the cost of electricity and filament, I'd estimate an average cost for a 15mm vehicle to be around fifty NZ cents. A 1kg reel of filament costs me about $25, and a 15mm A10 cruiser weighs just on 10 grams. Electricity usage isn't great; it's comparable with running an old filament light bulb.

3) A 15mm Tiger tank takes about six to eight hours to print  with the settings I use. There are various factors, but the major one is simply size — a bigger model takes longer to print.

4)
The Guy Lizard (on the left) is straight off the printer; I've removed supports, but done no other cleanup. The Dorchester (right) has had a coat of primer sprayed on.

5) It depends on the model, the printing orientation, and the printing supports type and placement. A model with a lot of overhangs will need a lot of supports, and therefore more cleanup. Very shallow sloping surfaces will show the layer lines more, and they might need some scraping and sanding before painting (though in general layer lines aren't really visible at tabletop distances).

Offline stormbird

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 08:04:15 AM »
Fitz

Thanks for your comprehensive answer.

I could maybe get 50 models from 1k of filament

If 15mm models cost £3.50 each [ PSC Zvevda etc ]  and printer costs £200 that means 57 models to recoup cost.

I don't really NEED 57 models , but it would be nice to have them  :D [ mind you that is only 28 per side or 19 for 3 sides etc ]

needs some though Paul

Offline ZaphodDK

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 05:26:01 PM »
Remember that you can print great terrain well. There is a LOT of really nice terrain pieces put there.
I have an Ender-2 and use it for 15mm terrain and vehicles. I hope I can have it all ready for What a Tanker, at a small con i january.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 05:43:36 PM »
That is some complelling maths... Hmm!

Especially when you consider that you have lots of obscure models available to print that often aren’t available from the mainstream manufacturers.

Your prints look very clean for a cheap printer. 

Offline stormbird

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
Hmm

I am hesitating because :-

Cons
a) I do not play FOW [ or equivalents ] and so do not need hordes of models
b) Don't want the 3D printer to 'become' the hobby instead of supporting it ?
c) 3D printing could just be a slower way of getting a ' model ' mountain ?
d) Small scale actions have limited need for non-combat vehicles

Pros
a) As you say plenty of obscure models , helpful as my interest is SCW to Fall of France and VBCW in 15mm
b) Those prints look awesome.
c) I like shiny tech things ....

regards Paul
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 06:29:45 PM by stormbird »

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 04:15:09 AM »
The tracks and wheels look pretty good.  I've seen some printed models and those seem to be the big disappointment.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA