Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:15:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: More Bronze Age L'Art de la Guerre  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
More Bronze Age L'Art de la Guerre
« on: December 15, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »

The crunch of thousands of tiny feet on the dry ground, and the rumble of a thousand chariot wheels, echoing down among the hills. It could only mean one thing. Bronze Age armies on the move again. Keen for a 6mm L'Art de la Guerre rematch after their last bruising defeat (one of those crushing defeats that would have seen a lesser commander sell their army), the New Kingdom Egyptians had crossed the Great Green to land their massed levies in the hallowed country of Minos, the Great Bull, Son of the Sea, Priest king of Knossos, High king of Crete, Lord of the Islands.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2018/12/another-bronze-age-clash.html

We had another great game of L'Art de la Guerre this week with our 6mm Bronze Age stuff. A really close game. Looking forward to our next meeting.  :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:27:35 PM by Irregular Wars Nic »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: The noble Minoans on the back foot as the pesky Egyptians invade
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:58:57 PM »
We tried this match up recently. The Egyptians took a walloping.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
The first clash between these two armies really was very one-sided. This time round it was rather too close for comfort.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:03:47 PM »
Good report, and lovely looking game. :)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:25:22 PM »
Sweet! 

A fascinating time period.  I often wonder how large these Bronze Age Armies really were?  I mean the Stele and other evidence points to some interesting numbers, when talking about the number of heads cut-off, prisoners taken, etc.  They are clearly not as large as armies from later parts of antiquity, but then other times the descriptions are much more vast.  Hard to know where exactly the size of an army fell. 

If someone has more reading on that subject I would be happy for the recommendation!   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

• Mad Scientist
More Bronze Age L'Art de la Guerre
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
We've been getting a good few Bronze Age games in recently. Here are two more reports:

Into the Sheep Fold, where King Minos ahistorically takes a stroll along the Euphrates.
https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2018/12/into-sheepfold-minos-vs-gilgamesh.html

The King Must Die, where King Minos danders around the Nile delta.
https://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-king-must-die.html

• Mad Scientist
Re: More Bronze Age L'Art de la Guerre
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »

Another one - this time a Minoan vs Sumerian grudge match.

http://irregularwars.blogspot.com/2019/03/the-bull-and-shepherd-more-6mm-lart-de.html

Offline Plutarch64

• Scientist
Re: More Bronze Age L'Art de la Guerre
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 01:31:18 AM »
Lovely-looking game, and the 6mm figures look great.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 06:27:29 AM »
Sweet! 

A fascinating time period.  I often wonder how large these Bronze Age Armies really were?  I mean the Stele and other evidence points to some interesting numbers, when talking about the number of heads cut-off, prisoners taken, etc.  They are clearly not as large as armies from later parts of antiquity, but then other times the descriptions are much more vast.  Hard to know where exactly the size of an army fell. 

If someone has more reading on that subject I would be happy for the recommendation!   

Try Philip Sabin's Lost Battles. There's a book, and also a game (card counter with cardboard modular terrain, and a campaign) which is (I believe) out of print -I got a copy from a Boardgame Geek seller, not exactly cheaply, but to be fair I think it was quite pricey when new, and the copy was in mint condition anyway. The book discusses wargaming of ancient/classic battles and goes into some detail into numbers, and the issues surrounding them. He's a history lecturer, and uses wargaming as a tool, and has also published a number of books and games, including Simulating War, which is effectively a textbook for wargaming.