Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:01:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game - availability question  (Read 2806 times)

Andrew_McGuire

A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game - availability question
« on: December 16, 2018, 04:54:45 PM »
There has already been some discussion of the game and miniatures by people who own it, and the KS was apparently fulfilled as long ago as April, but its general availability is difficult to discern, particularly as far as the Stark vs Lannisters starter set is concerned. I've been waiting quite some time to be notified by one trader (Firestorm Games, who have some faction boxes in stock) when this will become available (again?) to buy, and a local dealer where I've enquired was sceptical as to its general availability (in practice, as opposed to the theoretical availability indicated by their database). Can anyone clarify the situation? Furthermore, is the above-mentioned - very expensive - starter set the only way to get into the system?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 04:58:07 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire miniatures game - availability question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »
I saw a starter set in my local game store. It was in the board game area, away from the tabletop miniatures game. I'm pretty sure it was the starter set. It had miniatures such as the mountain, the mountain's men, etc. That's really all I remember, as I only took a passing glance at it.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 07:09:15 PM »
Game Surplus has the SvL set for $80. That's about half the cost of the KS pledge plus shipping, although doesn't have the SG's.
https://www.gamesurplus.com/shop/a-song-of-ice-fire-tabletop-miniatures-game-stark-vs-lannister-starter-set/

Miniature Market has been selling the expansions occasionally during their Daily Deal for just under KS prices (?).
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:40:58 PM »
Thanks to both respondents, but as I'm in the UK - where the SvL set goes for upward of £120, for which one might expect a real mountain to be included - the link to the deal doesn't help me. I'm generally mystified by the lack of coverage, given the anticipation over this game since it was announced about two years ago, but when one considers how many more games have been Kickstarted since then, it's possible even some backers have forgotten about it.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
Weird?

I thought the starter box set offered great value for money, the miniatures alone should cost more?
They are superb.

Also Element games seem to stock a fair amount of stuff for the game?

Sorry
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 09:48:11 PM »
I have seen the starter set in London's Forbidden Planet.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 06:40:17 AM »
Cmon has not finished the kickstarter there are alot of people waiting on them I included.  But the are already on sale in stores.  Poor showing from CMon
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 02:36:18 PM »
Weird?

I thought the starter box set offered great value for money, the miniatures alone should cost more?
They are superb.

Also Element games seem to stock a fair amount of stuff for the game?

Sorry

No need to be sorry, though you seem to have more questions than I do. I'm pleased to hear the starter set is good value, but as I have yet to set eyes on it that's a little difficult to evaluate.

Can anyone comment on the rules? All I've gleaned so far, from a video on Board Game Geek from over 18 months ago, is that they may owe something to what the reviewer calls "Fantasy 8th edition", by which I assume she means Warhammer, or as it now appears de rigeur to call it, Oldhammer.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 02:48:11 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »
oh don't call 8th edition oldhammer!... ppl will get upset about that... that usually refers to anything 6th or below.... really 3rd or below. I have the game and many expansions. You can readily buy it off of Ebay which is where i got my copy and expansions. The rules are very straight forward. I would put them on par with dragon rampant as far as depth and ease to learn. There is really 2 games going on at once, the one on the battlefield, and the battle for the throne with the non-battle figures. Each unit comes with a card that explains it's abilities. It's almost a mix of Heroscape and Dragon Rampant. Fun game that is not overly complex but still has a lot of strategy and depth.
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 02:20:32 PM »
I unreservedly apologise for any offence given to adherents of WFB, in whatever incarnation. I can only excuse my ignorance by saying that, although I own a crumpled early rulebook, and one of the later boxed editions (5th or 6th, I imagine, so conceivably 'Old', if not quite geriatric) I have never had the remotest interest in playing what I think of as 'the bloody thing', because I just can't get into GW's generic fantasy mash-up which masquerades as a discrete and coherent fantasy world, as opposed to the mish-mash of bits and bobs from all over the place that it actually is.

About this I make no apology whatsoever. My views were formed long ago, and were cemented by hearing a GW staff member - with no apparent sense of irony - telling a bunch of schoolkids he was grooming - sorry, inducting - that by playing WFB rather than, say, Napoleonics, they were using their imagination, which is quite possibly what they wanted to hear, but was nevertheless utter balderdash.

Anyway, in spite of some initial confusion, I assume the game you describe in the latter part of your post is ASOIAFMG rather than WFB? I've watched a playthrough - again of a pre-release copy - since my last post which gave me a general idea of the mechanics, which in fact do seem somewhat WFB-like, which I suppose I can live with. It would be nice if they were a little more original, but I'm sure ease of play and familiarity are major selling points for CMON.

I've now noticed copies coming up on eBay for £100 (even £90 with the eBay Xmas coupon, which unfortunately expired yesterday).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:16:48 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 09:38:39 AM »
Dark Sphere have copies of the main box (at least four) in their Shepherds Bush Megastore (it really is enormous). Well worth a visit. They also do mail order.
https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=86854
Okay six at the megastore.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 04:17:04 PM »
The Forbidden Planet in Southampton seems to be well stocked with this game.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »
I'm delighted to hear so many copies are around. I look forward to some comments on gameplay by purchasers, happy or otherwise.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »
My local store, Incom Gaming in Cheltenham definitely have a copy as I saw it in the shop today. I think it is selling for about £99.
I have played the game several times. It is fairly straightforward to play. The movement and combat are simple to pick up. Each unit has a card that gives the stats that you need. These can be affected by additional cards that can be played. Generally each player holds 3 of these cards for each turn. Units are activated alternately. With each side taking turns to go first. There are also non combat characters who can control zones that mean that units may make a free activation, or heal units or cause panic tests.
I probably have not explained this very well. Anyway the games all very good fun. The clever implementation of cards can turn combats and what you thought was going to be a winning move is thwarted by your opponent.  I am currently painting up a Night’s Watch force. They are very nice figures.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 09:23:31 PM »
Thank you for the summary. I'm strongly inclined to get the starter set, followed perhaps by the Night's Watch, which interests me more as a faction. Thus far I see no sign of Free Folk or Wights / White Walkers, though no doubt these will follow, as will many more, including the Dragons and their Mother.