Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: World domination plan, step 1 evil lair, 2 dormant volcano base new pics 12/23  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
Started to throw together some odds and ends to start a long contemplated volcano/hollow mountain base.
Plan to use this for Pulp Alley or maybe 7TV.  Plan is to use the TT Combat 12 x 12 tiles as the base, then build up the shell of the volcano around it. The volcano will be styrofoam, natch, around the base, up to a height of maybe 6". The interiors will be removable so that I can reuse it for a number of different maniacs, cults, and ancient ruins of long lost civilizations. Also the plan is to make the exterior volcano walls in such a way as to make them easily assembled and disassembled to facilitate storage.

The catalyst for this building activity was a dollar store find of a suitable toy for use as a monorail, after all every evil genius needs a monorail in their base!

So the pictures just show the bare bones of the planned layout. With my big Venice project 98% done I can start work on this one right away.   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:17:44 PM by Menelduir »
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Well isn't that going to look absolutely fabulous. :D

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
wow  :-* :-* :-* Definitely watching this thread with great interest. GDonk

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Superb, I've always wanted to do something like this, but never even thought of a monorail. That is looking great.   :-*   :-*   :-*

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Even barebones, the lair is looking pretty amazing already; I will be watching this with interest.

And is that a Lockheed XFV model? 8)

It certainly would be the prefect getaway vehicle for your evil genius, if   when things go not exactly as planned. Does it have accommodations for an evil cat yet? ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
 :-* :-* :-*
I need more of this!!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Wow, very cool!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Nice.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
And is that a Lockheed XFV model? 8)

It certainly would be the prefect getaway vehicle for your evil genius, if   when things go not exactly as planned. Does it have accommodations for an evil cat yet? ;)

When? I find your lack of faith disturbing, and it is inconceivable that something could go wrong. The pogo plane is just for...tours, yes tours of the volcanic landscape.

Right now I am just throwing bits and pieces out onto the table to see what will stick. I have drawn up some rough plans on how to build the volcano,  and my Proxxon cutter is ready to go. Hope to get the Styrofoam cut and rough assembled this week, depends on company/visitors/family, you know holiday stuff interfering with hobby life...

In the mean time here are some pics of a rough plan for minion locker room, and sleep area (bunk beds to be built), with an administrative area attached.

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Construction crew has arrived, cranes have been set up, and the start of a helipad.
Pretty much finished with the dumping of possible scenic stuff on this build. I have printed off some skins for the walls and the room floors. Styrofoam cutting will start today or Monday, assuming I can hide from my family/in-laws....

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Where did you find the cranes?  Those fit perfectly, and I'll bet they weren't $60 bones each like most of the lasercut...

This is such a beautiful project - when you're done, it definitely needs a Pulp Alley game on it.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
You know somebody has to ask ...

What toy did you get the track from?  I've been looking for something similar, but haven't come across anything that I really like.  Your toy might fit my needs :)

Also, great build!

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Hi

Thanks for the comments and interest.
I have just rough cut the Styrofoam base for the basic 3' x 3' volcano. Starting to work on the supports, I figure 2-3 6" high, 6" long  triangles per 12" x 6" section. Going to look at the angles when I get down to the build, also have to leave something for the upper part of the volcano to rest on, so I may reduce the 6" height to create a 1" or so, for the upper section to rest on. The upper part is just for show and will be removed once the action heats up inside the base.

Also thinking about how to create the add on base squares, that will now stick out from the centre points of each side (when used), the original picture shows one projecting from a corner section. 

Pictures added below in response to a couple of questions.
Both the crane and the track came from a dollar store. For the crane I just did not require a big model. Also I had plans of cannibalizing the cranes for support pieces. The track is a 'Montoy' car set.

Also some diabolical weapon that I found in a second hand shop, just need to repaint it.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:17:37 PM by Menelduir »

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
Thanks for the quick response.  Also ... I have that exact 'globe' thingie.  Tweaked mine a bit, turned it into a glowing orange globe of doom.  Will see if I can find a picture somewhere....

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
Thanks for the quick response.  Also ... I have that exact 'globe' thingie.  Tweaked mine a bit, turned it into a glowing orange globe of doom.  Will see if I can find a picture somewhere....

I would love to see a picture, always need inspiration!