Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Basing my 1745 Jacobites and Government troops- opinions wanted  (Read 1955 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Basing my 1745 Jacobites and Government troops- opinions wanted
« on: December 16, 2018, 11:24:03 PM »
Thinking of basing my Jacobites on "clan bases" with 7-8 on a large base, which I want to be the same depth but double the frontage of the 4 man government bases.
First tried on 80 x 40mm

But this seemed really tight

100 x 50 seemed a bit wasteful

90 x 45 looked OK but is an odd size

80 x 50 seemed just right to me, what do others think?

For a more irregular look I can just put 7 on some bases rather than the 8 shown here.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Basing my 1745 Jacobites and Government troops- opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 11:35:48 PM »
For the government troops I wanted the infantry on 4 man bases. 40 x 40 seemed way too tight especially for firing poses:

while 50 x 40 looked good to me for both standing and firing poses

For horsed units 80 x 50  (the same size as the clan bases) looked great to me:
Mounted command or cavalry proper would be 3 on a base:

While dragoons would be represented with a mix of mounted and dismounted ( my mate will hate this!):

Thoughts /comments welcome. Does anyone know if the 80 x 50, 40 x 50 bases sizes will make certain rules difficult? We have not decided on a rule set as yet.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
I usually follow DBx basing if I need to put mulitiple models on a base but you basing solution looks good. Who makes the highlanders?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 12:39:05 AM »
For what it is worth, Beneath the Lily Banners infantry basing is 45mm frontage and 50mm deep. If you went 90mm by 50mm then you would essentially be "legal" in that system.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:44:26 AM »
The foot basing looks good.  On the dragoon basing, I'm with your 'mate'.  But, hey, they're your toys, do what you like.   ;)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »
I usually follow DBx basing if I need to put mulitiple models on a base but you basing solution looks good. Who makes the highlanders?

They are the new Flags of War Jacobites from the kickstarter, sculpted by the fellow who did the Bicorne and Renegade ECW, I believe.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:55:51 AM »
For what it is worth, Beneath the Lily Banners infantry basing is 45mm frontage and 50mm deep. If you went 90mm by 50mm then you would essentially be "legal" in that system.

That's interesting thanks. Will have to look at those rules before I make a final decision.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Vodkafan: you're right about the sculptor. It's Nick Collier.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
I think the 'Clan Bases' idea is a good one.
You guessed right, I do not like the Dragoon bases, but as has been said,
'Your toys...'  I will go with you on your decisions. One suggestion however
is to put command (dioramas?) on round bases.
When you do decide, let me know & we can order some bases.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »
I have the same figures and when they float to the top of the painting queue, I will be doing them individually based on pennies, and using the Warbases 6 & 8 slot sabot bases, so they can be used for Sharp Practice as well as other 'element' based style sets. In all likelihood, I will be doing both sides, so as long as the bases are compatible, no problem. 
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 10:20:10 AM »
I am using Beneath the Lily Banners as a guide, with 3 60x60mm bases per battalion, although I use 5 instead of 6 figures per base (will count as 6, when using BtlB). That will be my Standard size for Black Powder (4 bases, large; 2 bases, small). The reason why I use 5 figures is because that my collection for the '45 is also Flag of War Miniatures, which are large and with very dinamic poses; 6 figures look a bit cluttered to me, besides using 5 figures I have the added benefit of saving time and money!

I know that 3 bases look too small for some people, but my table is not that big (6x4), therefore I need to optimize the footprint of my battalions. Actually, I intend to reduce by 1/3 the distances used in Black Powder, to fit it to my table. I have done the same for games set in the WSS and it works well.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
I have the same figures and when they float to the top of the painting queue, I will be doing them individually based on pennies, and using the Warbases 6 & 8 slot sabot bases, so they can be used for Sharp Practice as well as other 'element' based style sets. In all likelihood, I will be doing both sides, so as long as the bases are compatible, no problem.

Ah yes always good when you can satisfy a few different basing requirements in one swoop. I suspect my pal will also do his on sabot basing. I know a lot of folks like it but I hate sabot bases with a passion.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 12:23:19 PM by vodkafan »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 12:21:55 PM »
I am using Beneath the Lily Banners as a guide, with 3 60x60mm bases per battalion, although I use 5 instead of 6 figures per base (will count as 6, when using BtlB). That will be my Standard size for Black Powder (4 bases, large; 2 bases, small). The reason why I use 5 figures is because that my collection for the '45 is also Flag of War Miniatures, which are large and with very dinamic poses; 6 figures look a bit cluttered to me, besides using 5 figures I have the added benefit of saving time and money!

I know that 3 bases look too small for some people, but my table is not that big (6x4), therefore I need to optimize the footprint of my battalions. Actually, I intend to reduce by 1/3 the distances used in Black Powder, to fit it to my table. I have done the same for games set in the WSS and it works well.

Antonio, I do some of my other stuff in several periods on 60mm x 60mm, and I like it on the tabletop. I thought I would try something different this time though. Your plans sound interesting!