Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Advice seeked: Dark Imperium or not?  (Read 1370 times)

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
Advice seeked: Dark Imperium or not?
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:50:59 PM »
I've been out of GW for a decade or so, safe for Inquisimunda which I thought the most versatile and inspiring set of rules, based on my all times fav one (besides Mordheil): Necromunda. Since I don't have much time to paint (about 15 figs a year…) and less even to play, i 've been focusing only on painting figures i liked the most for years.

Then GW made a turn two years ago: AdMech and i dwelved. Then came Necromunda Redux and came ruin of my wallet. Then Kill team, then… ArtelW and i'm on grimdark again to the neck with exquisite delight. And my lead pile (plastic pile should i say) is reaching unspeakable heights...

I Always wanted to paint a dearh guard force (20 or so at the most since my outstanding output)  but i'm not sure about primaris: not sure I want to start to invest again on SM.

So here are the existential questions for which i seek advice concerning the Dark Imperium box set:

- Since i shall at  best play only kill team or Inquisimunda would the 40K V8 rulebook be of any use?  Are the point costs transposable somehow to Kill team (I'd like to add to kill teams, say, the possibility to use more exotic units)? Are the rules and background any good?

- Since the primaris marines look a bit "unornate", are gw's existing conversion packs possible to use with them (say black templars shoulder pads for exemple).

Shoul I leave it or should I go?

Any opinion welcome. Thanks

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Re: Advice seeked: Dark Imperium or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:02:08 PM »
I was in the same boat about Dark Imperium. I had no interest in the SMs so I just bought the Death Guard minis as a job lot off Ebay. The box set is is RRP £95 ( you can pick it up for about £70.00 on Ebay) and I picked all of the Death Guard ( including characters and Bloat Drone) from the set for under £30.00 all on sprues and with bases. I thought it was a pretty good way of getting what I wanted out of the set. I cannot comment on the 8th Ed rules as I'm more interested in smaller scale skirmish stuff like Kill Team and Necromunda.

Cheers
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:39:25 AM »
The know no fear set is what I went with. Plenty of minis for a kill team and a small 40k game.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:39:17 AM »
Coincidentally, I've only very recently ventured on the same path; getting back into 40K after a hiatus of nearly a decade. But in my case it's Kill Team that reeled me back in.

As luck would have it though, I was gifted the Dark Imperium box for my birthday back when it came out, but it had been sitting undisturbed ever since.

I went for Death Guard too though, and the DG miniatures in the box were a good start. But I needed more variation, like a heavy weapon, so I got the push-fit 3 marines sprue for cheap on Ebay.

This meant I now had 10 regular marines, plus a bunch of characters, 20 Poxwalkers and a Blight Drone. And it began to gnaw on me that I had the basics of a complete 40K army right there.

So I got to thinking; I also already had the Index books that came with the game book, so I basically have everything I need for 40K!

Last weekend, I bought the Death Guard multipart box, giving me another 7 marines, and the Plague Brothers special edition 3 marine set, which I stumbled upon on Ebay for (relatively ::) ) cheap, so I picked those up too.

I'm now at 20 marines; just 1 short of 3 squads of 7 (it'll have to be 7 of course).

Which leaves me thinking of still getting the following: 1 more marine, another Blight Drone (Easy build version, to be converted), and probably two of those Myoptic Crawlers (or whatever the name is lol). Then maybe one of those Griffon-like vehicles. For sure I'll get some easy to build Poxwalkers and some characters to buff up the squads.

So basically; with relatively few purchases, you can get a complete Death Guard army.

I'd advise to do what pappa Midnight suggests; get the DG portion of the Dark Imperium box for cheap off Ebay and use that as your starting point; it's a solid base. Of course only if you already have the rules etc.

If not, you might want to get the box, and flog off the Primaris portion to recoup some of the investment.

Welcome to the sickness, and gesundheid :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline wolfgangbrooks

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.recreationalconflict.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »
Points costs and rules don't transfer to kill team. You can get the 8th ed base rules for free here: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40000-Rules

No unit stats from the free stuff, but unit boxes come with the rules and the power point values. (but again the tournament style points costs are only in the codicies)

You can look around for comparison pictures, but I understand the heads and shoulder pads are all compatible between primaris and normal marines.
Recreational Conflict: www.recreationalconflict.com

Jibbery style oinkery which don't make no damn sense.

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:19:09 AM »
Well many thanks gentlemen for giving your opinion.

Food for thoughts for sure.

I'll be thinking over it.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 10:27:25 PM »
I bought the Dark Imperium. With no intention to playing 40k.
Book is pretty for sure, but I consider it an extra brochure added to the miniatures :)

As to primaris question. - Forge world Black Templars shoulder pads are fully compatible but DI miniatures are strangely split to parts. OSme models have shoulder pads on the same part as body and could take some work to replace. As this is plastic its nothing difficult but bear this in mind.

Those are mine build from the DI