Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Painting Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion Buildings/WIP (Jan. 28: British legation)  (Read 8982 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
The Japanese legation compound, like the French compound, is done in a pre-siege and siege format.  Once again, I scratch built the pre-siege compound walls (without firing steps) using JTT and Evergreen plastic.  I retained the main gate section of the Blue Moon compound by hiding the firing steps on the attached walls with a removable scrub covering made of scored Milliput over a Lego skeleton.  For reasons I can’t explain Blue Moon provided bases for two Foo Dogs on either side of the main gate, but didn’t provide the Foo Dogs.  The Foo Dogs I used are from Wyrd’s Malifaux collection.IMG_2319 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2320 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2321 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2324 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Hmm, might be the lighting but I'm guessing that blue is going to stick out like a sore thumb in the midst of the rest of your buildings.  Might consider toning it down.  Or not.  Your toys.   lol

I do worry that showing us all this before your main photo shoot might be a bit anti-climactic when it finally arrives - then again, all those figures with all those buildings and your creative spark will probably negate that concern.  Besides, I expect there will be surprises - right? 

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FifteensAway, light probably has something to do with it.  It's the same blue I have been using on the other buildings.  I long ago came to the realization that 15mm die a lonely death here at LAF... seldom viewed, rarely worth a comment.  But in the case of the Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion structures I have been surprised by the fact that I have found only two lonely folks, that would be you and me, who seem to have purchased them.  When I began posting the pre-siege and now the painted buildings I thought of it more as a public service because I found no other painted examples and as I have said before I like looking at what other have done when I doing a project.  Thus buildings on display, but not figures... lots of Boxer Rebellion figures came be found (mainly 28s).

Actually if there is a surprise in this it will be in the look of the whole layout which I think (never sure until it's done) will be pretty dramatic, but there will also be some little details.  Frankly I think the Wyrd Foo Dogs are pretty nice.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 02:06:56 PM by War In 15MM »

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
I'd guess only a minute percentage of miniature collectors read and a much smaller percentage post on LAF (or TMP - that place has been dying a slow death for years) so I caution against reading too much in to how many OG Boxer buildings you see here.  I know they've sold them to more than you and I.

As to 15 mm here, sometimes a thread will get traction, sometimes not.  But, clearly, 28 mm dominates.  This is, I think, more than anything else, a painter's showcase and sometimes a terrain showcase and, more rarely, a game showcase forum.  Though it does seem a well put together 15 mm game with good figures and terrain will usually find an 'audience'.  And a few very talented painters get a nice following - witness the thread about Blue Moon's Three Musketeers range.

When you do post your full setup, I expect it will be well viewed and much enjoyed.  But not all things will be of interest to all - like the whole post apocalypse thing.  For me, doesn't matter how nice it might be, I just don't have the interest, even a little bit, so unlikely I will pay attention.  But almost anything American Revolution and I'll take a look.  This hobby is very broad church but some of the pews are pretty lonely places.   

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FifteensAway, after reading your reply I went back and reread mine.  Apart from spelling two "to," the thing I noticed was that my tone sounded down.  I'm not sure what caused that, but it wasn't intended.  At this moment I'm a pretty happy and excited guy.  Our granddaughter took her first multi-step walk this week (4 unaided steps) and it wasn't until she registered what she had done and began clapping and cheering for herself that the walk end.  I dropped by my local model train shop this week and to my great surprise found that on their bargain table they had a couple hundred Artistta O guage figures (still in their packages) all selling for $2.99 a pack which is to say a figure.  Being a true 15s guy I wouldn't expect you to know Artistta, but they have a huge line of wonderfully unique figures... people going about the normal things of the day (mailmen, babies in strollers, kids on scooters and soapbox racers, old folks walking arm-in-arm...), and they are expensive.  They tend to start at $5.99 a figure and go up into the $20s from there.  At $2.99 and with a large selection to choose from I bought about 25 packs, and smiled the whole time.  And finally, for this little moment of confession, I finished the last of the legations yesterday... the British.  I'll probably post the remaining three (Russian, US, and British) that I haven't posted as yet over the next week.  All that remains now are about 25 more figures (Peter Pig and Two Dragon... mentioned in a previous posting), and some detail work, and this project will be ready for picture taking.  Probably will get that done in February.
I'm am sure you are right that lots of the Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion figures and structures have been sold to people other than you and me.  What surprised me and prompted this thread of the structures I am doing in their painted state is that I have seen only one building in that range of wonderful buildings painted... the building with the tea bale on the porch; it come with metal awnings.  I'll be moving on to a new project soon, but this has been a fun one (fortunately I feel that way about all of them), and I'm looking forward to seeing if I can do it justice on my two tables.
Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
As is the case with the previous legation compounds posted here, I scratch-built one set of walls for the pre-siege Russian legation and will use the Blue Moon walls for the siege version.  I’ll be posting the US and British legation compounds soon. IMG_2328 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2327 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Observing your attention to detail, I find myself asking "What would it look like if he created a pre-siege version of one of the buildings, say the Russian legation itself?"  I'm guessing it would be pretty close despite being one of the more challenging buildings to recreate.  Up to the challenge, Richard?   ;)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
FifteensAway, I'm afraid that I did all that I'm up for attempting.  I built the rear entrances, one of the inner compound buildings for the British legation as well as one of that legation's oriental style gates.
The most complex single structure I built was the British legation's entrance (Legos and Evergreen plastic).  Other than doing those, more than two months invested in scratch building the pre-siege versions of the five legations' walls was enough for me.  As of this morning I am 14 figures, five flag poles and the Imperial Canal away from being done and ready to do a practice layout in preparation for the photo shoot in February.  My mind is turning to the next project.  Richard

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
wow! wow again!  :o :o :o You are doing amazing job! The Legations look great. I wonder how they all look like together! I also wonder about the size of the  table you need now ! The result will be spectacular !
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:24:30 AM by miltiades »

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
miltidades, as of today I don't know how they will look on my layout table(s).  When I began this project back in June, the first thing I did was measure the size of each of the legation compounds and draw a template of each of them on railboard/cardstock.  I then laid them out to see if they would fit on my table... six months ago those templates fit so I am hoping the the real thing will fit as well.  I have two tables that I use when I set up my collections.  They are both 5 ft. x 7 ft.  They are composed of two 5' x 7' plywood surfaces and two six ft. folding tables that the plywood surfaces can be secured to during the set up and photography.  The nice thing is they can be taken apart and set flat against the garage wall while not in use.  For this project I will be using both tables.  One will be the pre-siege version (my scratch-built stuff) and day to day life, and the second will be the siege version using the Blue Moon legations.  I have about 12 more figures to paint plus a Nordenfeld gun, a breach wall section and five legation flag poles.  I hope to be done with all of the painting before the end of next week, and then I will have time to do a practice set up of the tables to finalize how things will fit together on the two 5 ft x 7 ft surfaces.  Should be fun.  I hope to have the collection photographed in place in February and posted on my website and here before the end of February.  I've been with this for 6 straight months and have really enjoyed it, but it's time to move on to the next project.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Most impressive  project  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Size of Project x Timeframe to Completion = Are You Kidding Me!!!  This young man is blindingly fast at getting these projects done.  And then he dives in for another - and then another - and another... :o

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
Looking forward to seeing this laid out together, really good stuff

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
smirnoff, thank you.  I'll be posting the last two legations soon (US and British).  I still have some small detail work left to do no this project, but it should be complete by the end of the first week of February.  In February we will do a photo session of the collection in diorama form (two 5 ft x 7 ft tables/one presage and one siege) and post it on my vanity website.  I will post some sample pictures on the LAF Colonial Adventures section with a link to the website then.  My guess is that it will be very picture heavy... probably a hundred or more.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Painting Blue Moon Boxer Rebellion Buildings/WIP (Jan. 20: US legation)
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 04:48:19 PM »
The US legation is the fourth of the five legation compounds sold by Blue Moon.  As is the case with all the Blue Moon legation compounds, it is made for gaming and has firing steps cast onto the interior side of all the walls surrounding the legation compound.  As I have stated in previous postings of the other legations, I wanted a pre-siege version of each of the five legations I am using with this collection so I scratch-built legation walls for each of the legations without the firing steps included.  I did this using Evergreen and JTT plastic and based those wall sections in scored Milliput.  In the case of the US legation and three of the other legations (Japanese, Russian and French), I used the main gate that came with the Blue Moon compound(s) because they were not bunkered up and retained their pre-siege appearance.  In the cases of the Japanese, French and US legations their main gates were cast with wall sections on either side and those wall sections had firing steps, so to hide the firing steps on those wall sections I made removable scrubs based on Legos covered with scored Milliput.  Thus those main gates could serve as both the pre-siege and siege version of the main gate just by removing or adding the removable scrubs.  All of the interior buildings used in the pre-siege and siege versions of the US legation are those that came with the Blue Moon compound.  I’ve provided pictures of both versions.IMG_2333 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2334 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr