Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Fantasy mass battle rules are out there?  (Read 7691 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
Re: What Fantasy mass battle rules are out there?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2018, 12:29:54 AM »
OP, of my current (getting the axe soon) collection, that fit your criteria except they are OoP:

Armies of Arcana, Battlesystem, and Legendary Battles.  AoA is the closest to Warhammer...but none of them have the same depth, charm, or fun factor that came with most GW games.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2019, 04:49:55 PM »

Legions of Battle
https://crusaderpublishing.com

Hostile Realms
http://www.piquetwargames.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

Shadow Storm (Fantasy adaptation of Hail Caesar - PDFs in the files section of the group)
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1643545805919298?

Offline aktr

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I think I'll wait and see what Oathmark and Saga: Age of Fantasy look like

Andy

Offline Red Kop

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2019, 07:58:07 PM »
We've jumped from Warhammer into 9th edition.

It has enough Warhammer in it to not feel too alien to old Warhammer players but it is certainly its own thing now.

Has a largish community behind it, good support and everything is available for free.

If you want something physical in your hands to refer to (and I hear you there...) you'd have to print the rule set and army books out but they aren't the largest and you'd be able to print and bind all you need for not much money.

I'm not the biggest fan personally, but then I was frustrated with Warhammer by the time 8th edition was out as well, but some of the guys in our group are fanatical about it and feel that it is the natural successor to square base Warhammer.

Online Kazimierz

• Schoolboy
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2019, 12:40:36 AM »
Does anyone know how to obtain 'Shadow Storm' information without a Facebook account?  I have never had one, nor will I get one.  Could not find information elsewhere online.
Thanks,
Kazimierz

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 02:05:59 PM »
       i myself are after a good set of fantasy rules that can handle large battles in 15mm/10mm . hordes of things aint a mass battle in my eyes with only 12 bases needed. what i want is a game with hundreds of figs and dozens of units on the table..
Could Impetus work i think a new edition is coming out soon?

I am Shocked that because a GW set of rules is out of print or or new edition turns up .
 People stop playing there old set of rules because there no more up dates and its old school.. why is this such a big deal in fantasy wargaming ?
 yet in historic its fine to play with rules 30 years old if they work why change ?

Happy gaming all Dave.v

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 10:33:26 PM »
I am Shocked that because a GW set of rules is out of print or or new edition turns up .
 People stop playing there old set of rules because there no more up dates and its old school.. why is this such a big deal in fantasy wargaming ?
 yet in historic its fine to play with rules 30 years old if they work why change ?

Perhaps it's  because so many people consider the GW rules to all be broken with rarely any hope of them getting 'fixed'..... With new army books always being released, and every few years a new edition of the game, the rules never settled. Every new release had the potential to unbalance and 'break' things, and attempts to remedy and balance these problems would always be controversial, applauded by some and hated by others. But there was hope.

My point is, back in ye old days of WFB, you were always looking forward to the new edition, or your army's new book, to 'fix' the problems that the massive, sprawling rule system always had. Always something to look forward to! Now, you either have to play an old edition of the game, where the problems are never going to be officially fixed, and you put up with it, or you have to fix them yourselves with massive house rule overhauls, by which point you might as well re-write the entire game yourself or just try an alternative ruleset!

I loved WFB when i was younger, though I knew no other way of wargaming at the time. The constant updating of the rules through new army books and editions was fun and exciting! You'd hear rumours about the next edition months before it hit, and when your army's turn for an overhaul came round you'd be giddy with excitement with the possibilities of rules fixes and new models, maybe entirely new units..... And crossing your fingers that they didn't totally mess it up! I remember being really bemused at some of the rules in the 6th edition High Elves rulebook. Remember 'Intrigue At Court'? Take one of the army's biggest strengths (high leadership generals) and negate it (which character would be the general was randomly determined), because... High Elves like politics??!!! I felt like us High Elf players were being trolled. Anyway, I digress....

Once the game stops chaotically evolving and you get to stand still and look at it for what it really is, and how it will be forever, unchanging.... You might start to think "hmm perhaps this isn't the best way to do things". Though coming to that realisation can be a hard and emotional experience ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:36:12 PM by Charlie_ »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 05:58:26 AM »
Does anyone know how to obtain 'Shadow Storm' information without a Facebook account?  I have never had one, nor will I get one.  Could not find information elsewhere online.

There used to be a web site, but it's been down for a while. Only discovered the Facebook group recently. Not sure if there's other sources.

i myself are after a good set of fantasy rules that can handle large battles in 15mm/10mm . hordes of things aint a mass battle in my eyes with only 12 bases needed. what i want is a game with hundreds of figs and dozens of units on the table..
Could Impetus work i think a new edition is coming out soon?

I agree -- I've got no problem playing old games/editions. The potential problem is new players getting access to the rules. But if it's just a small local group anyway, that shouldn't be a major hurdle. I learned to play a lot of games before owning the rules. (Back when games typically had a GM running the show and teaching rules...)

That said... Warmaster was one of GW's better games, in my opinion. We played using 15mm figures.

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »

That's a good point about the figure scale in HotT. But there is a way round it - one I'm toying with at the moment myself: basing 15mm or 10mm figures on 28mm bases. I like 28mm HotT because it uses the width of a dining table (3'). But we often extend the dinner table to its full length to play games with three commands per side - either 24 AP each or 36 AP each.

So, if you take the 28mm horde element with 15mm figures that I've mocked up below, you could conceivably have 108 of these on one side (3 x 36AP). That's a lot of figures (perhaps 1,500?) - yet the game would work fine on a decent-sized dining table. And you could get even higher numbers with 10mm figures.

I'm thinking of going down this route myself as a way to use up the hundreds of 15mms I've got kicking around - the result of batch purchases when I was running D&D in 15mm in 2016. There are a few things - like the Magister Militum lizardman command turtle - that won't fit on 15mm HotT basing but would look comfortable on 28mm bases. And most of my 28mm HotT behemoth and dragon elements would work just fine in 15mm. I'd also be able to double up some of my 28mm warbands to make behemoth elements for 15mm - small ogres/large orcs as giants and so on.

Couldn't agree more! The obvious exception, though, is HotT - the rule changes between editions are more like errata (two units swapped movement rates and one other clarification I can't recall). And it's still going strong. It seems to be the one fantasy game that's been consistently widely played since its inception without significant edition changes.

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »
Who made the figures above Justin?

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »
They're mainly Alternative Armies orcs with a few Magister Militum goblins (the ones with the textured bases).

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
Thanks

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 12:54:39 PM »
Hi I had it for sale for a tenner ,postage will be a killer as it’s heavy but I’m uk based as well. I only stopped the thread as wary of posting at this time of year so it will be for sale again end of January etc
Unless your desperate for it , I could post it out Friday as on half day then ?
This now in classifieds section

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
Here is an example of what we mean for WARGAME FANTASY :

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=114497.0

And the fact that Warhammer Fantasy is no longer supported by GW, to us frankly it is neither hot nor cold (that is, we do not really care about it). We never liked that game system with the alternate turn, much better that of Fantasy Warriors, with the contemporary turn.
 :)