Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry minis US plastic  (Read 5116 times)

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
New Perry minis US plastic
« on: December 18, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
Plastic WW2 US Infantry update

The next 28mm plastic project after the Agincourt mounted knights are Michael's WW2 US Infantry. We don't have a release date for these yet as they have just been sent to Renedra. They represent standard American GI's from Tunisia to D Day. There will be 42 figures in a box which will allow you to build a full strength platoon and HQ with additional fire power of two .30 cals supplied, should you need it. There are 15 different body positions, including 3 kneeling and 2 prone, all with separate heads. There will be 37 x Garands, 3 x Springfields, 6 x BARs (double the amount you need but encase you want to up gun your platoon as some did later in the war), 8 x Thompson SMGs, 6 x M1 Carbines, 2 x Springfield sniper rifles, 2 x M1A1 Bazookas, 2 x Grease guns and 2 x pistols. Rifle ammo pouches are attached to some bodies but others are left without and separate pouches for each gun supplied. Not all the bodies and arms are shown in these photos.

enjoy
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: New Perry minis US plastic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »
Interesting.

They might tempt me for some action in North Africa (assuming they are size compatible with their existing DAK and Eighth Army).

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 06:49:27 PM »
i hope so ... been quite useable as French if Michael release some heads ... for Corsica, Italy, and Provence .

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
I had a look at some of these 3 ups while on a visit to the Perry Twins last month  ;D
It promises to be quite a set - so whereas typically you might get 5 or 6 body types on other manufacturers' sprues these Perry ones will offer 10 standing, 3 kneeling and 2 prone. There's lots of extra weapons too. You can do a whole platoon with one box too. It will be interesting to see their price point.
Very nice if you like realistically proportioned troops - a surprisingly rare commodity in the 28mm WW2 market.
Can't wait,
EC

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
They're pretty special in all, a really good mix of bits and bobs too. Everything is there for a rifle platoon, as far as I can tell from the info given at least.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »
For plastic they are very nice.
I esp like the Bazooka team - a realistic pose

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 12:17:32 AM »
Absolutely fabulous. Will definitely be getting these  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 04:46:27 AM »
Like them alot!
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 11:49:30 AM »
Gorgeous stuff. Definitely want.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
While great for WW2 I'm thinking Korean War too, possibly even early Vietnam?

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »
While great for WW2 I'm thinking Korean War too, possibly even early Vietnam?

Not with those uniforms. (Warlord made this spurious claim on their old box of plastic GI's, but have apparently since done some research, and do not include it on the new set.) Empress's US infantry will work for Korea, but the weapons are wrong for Vietnam, quite apart from the uniforms.

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart81.htm

If by 'early Vietnam', however, you mean the French war in Indo-China, Empress have French paras, Vietminh, and water buffalo:

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart56.htm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 03:24:38 PM by Andrew_McGuire »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:17:29 PM »
Not with those uniforms. (Warlord made this spurious claim on their old box of plastic GI's, but have apparenlty since done some research, and do not include it on the new set.) Empress's US infantry will work for Korea, but the weapons are wrong for Vietnam, quite part from the uniforms.

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart81.htm

If by 'early Vietnam', however, you mean the French war in Indo-China, Empress have French paras, Vietminh, and water buffalo:

http://www.empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart56.htm

Agree with Andrew. Even Empress uniforms are wrong for Vietnam (for the US Army ground involvement was 1965... full 20 years after the end of WW2!). Then you have M14 and M16 as standard weapons, different helmet cover, different webbing and so on... as for the French war in Indochina... yes some WW2 items were used, but  in the first few years before US support kicked in US equipment was often mixed with original French, British, and Japanese equipment, British uniform's part being the more common (due to local supplies from the British temporary occupation force, and later on demobilizing SEAC troops).  Empress (FNG) French are best for 1950 onward.

I would say that this new great set is spot on (as the twins say...) for the period Torch to D-day before the later WW2 uniforms started to appear in numbers (then go to Empress).
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 07:04:14 PM »
It will be interesting to see their price point.

Considering that the Perry plastic sets are very consistently priced at £20 (except for a few buildings), I do not think that we are in for any surprises when it comes to pricing. The release date is another issue - a lot of people (Perry twins probably included) are probably wishing for a Salute release, which might be a bit tight if the figures have been just sent to Renedra for tooling.

In any case, the amount of figures is actually more than you need for putting together an infantry rifle platoon, which to my knowledge was at full strenght 41 figures (while this set contains 42 figures). Plus enough Garands to actually arm everyone except the BAR gunners and platoon leader with them.

With the two .30 cal MGs included, it would also be possible to use these as a basis for a US ranger platoon, though converters might want to add some special kit (or even convince Perry twins to crank out some suitable add-on bits or extra models for this).

Dismounted armoured infantry platoon could also be possible, though you might need some more models, as well as extra bazookas and MGs. It sounds like the bazookas and MGs are included in a command sprue (with 2 per box, in addition to 3 grunt sprues), and Perrys have traditionally made those available separately a while after initial release. However, the 60 mm mortar and the ATG (initially a platoon level asset, later centralised on company level) would likely need to be obtained in metal - presumably the Perrys will release a bunch of supplemental packs providing such weapons. Halftracks themselves can be otained in plastic or resin from a number of manufacturers.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 11:37:32 PM »
If anyone fancies the Cuban Revolution, they would work very well for Batista's Army. Although some units used the Garand, most used the Springfield, so acquiring more of those is the main task.

In the USMC the M1 Carbine was the regulation PDW of all but riflemen in Vietnam (including rifle company officers), at least until the M16 became widely available. The M2 Carbine and the Grease Gun were widely used by U.S. Army Special Forces between 1962-65 and occasionally appeared later due to personal preference over the M16 and a variety of 9mm SMGs.

Otherwise though, as stated, the uniform barely made it to the end of WWII and those units that had fought in Italy had been wearing the 1943 OG fatigues since they arrived in theatre. Only in Northern Europe was there a drive to preserve the 'old gear' in use.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 03:17:13 AM »
I am very interested!  They look really promising.

-Michael