Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zvezda Jagdtiger  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Zvezda Jagdtiger
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:35:32 AM »

A while ago I bought myself this Zvezda 1:100 kit of the 128mm tank killer, Jagdtiger, and I just got around to assembling and painting it today.

I have no immediate use for it, but I have a sentimental fondness for the vehicle from the days of my childhood, when our wargaming consisted of getting as many of the biggest and baddest tanks on to a table as we could, pretty much stacking them wheel to wheel. I would sneer at such a callow display these days, but boy, did we have fun.

This was the first real outing for my Badger Sotar 20-20 airbrush, and to say that I am satisfied with it would be a profound understatement. It is by far the best airbrush I've ever used. I have a fine tip and needle set coming to me, but it may not really be necessary — even the medium set it currently has installed is excellent.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Zvezda Jagdtiger
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
Excellent painting - well done.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:36:07 AM »
Wow! Looks like 28mm

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »
Very sexy indeed

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
Nice - really nice  8) 8) 8)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
I have that airbrush, but, to my shame, have never used it, mostly because I haven't got around to buying a compressor. Looking at your results, I can see it's high time I did. What one do you use? I want to make a good choice, because my results with airbrushes in the past have been highly unsatisfactory, even when using a compressor.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 05:43:19 PM »

Very nice, Zvezda have definately come aways, you'd only realise it was 15mm because of the figure next to it :)

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »
I have that airbrush, but, to my shame, have never used it, mostly because I haven't got around to buying a compressor. Looking at your results, I can see it's high time I did. What one do you use? I want to make a good choice, because my results with airbrushes in the past have been highly unsatisfactory, even when using a compressor.

It's a cheap(ish) no-name compressor with about a 5 litre tank and pressure regulator. There's a water trap on the regulator, but I also have an inline water trap on the air hose, about a foot below the airbrush coupling.

I used to use a Badger diaphragm compressor, but it was quite noisy, always on, and had no way of regulating the air pressure. Also, the pulsing of the air flow made very close, fine work quite difficult. There are superior tankless compressors available, but they're quite pricey.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 09:59:50 AM »
Very nice.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the info. It's high time I took the plunge, having been somewahat demoralised by earlier experiences with aribrushes, to the extent of not even being able to get paint to come out, other than in the odd spurt, even with a compressor owned by a friend. Something of a disappointment, which made lose confidence and made me shelve the idea indefinitely, other than for buying the Sotar.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:34:00 PM »
It's not a completely straightforward technique, but once you get the hang of balancing your paint thinning, air pressure, trigger pressure, aiming, and distance.... it's a piece of cake :)