Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles  (Read 3669 times)

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Re: Battlestar Galactica: Starship Battles
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Hmm. I love BSG but I'm not sure it is a big enough brand to keep growing. Its been 10 years since it was on the TV.
Can't see people parking their xwings to take out vipers instead.
I also hadn't heard of it until I read this thread with the OPs passive/aggressive marketing speal.
Whats wrong with chucking in some links and maybe a description of the game mechanics instead of warnings of 'you'll be sorry if you don't buy it' and 'try google'.
Anyway i shall keep my eyes open.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 01:54:36 PM »
My thoughts echo Agis really. I watched a video a few months ago (Dice Tower I think) and a lot of the rules innovations sound very interesting, the models are great and I enjoy the BSG background (particularly the reimagined series). But I can't see where the legs are.

One to ponder

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »
Frankly at fighter scale, capital ships should not manoeuvre, just move.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »
I also hadn't heard of it until I read this thread with the OPs passive/aggressive marketing speal.
Whats wrong with chucking in some links and maybe a description of the game mechanics instead of warnings of 'you'll be sorry if you don't buy it' and 'try google'.
Anyway i shall keep my eyes open.
I am glad it was not just me...

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 05:15:05 PM »
I find the 'not thrilled by the marketing' position interesting. It makes sense to me up to a point. After that the idea that because the company isn't 'proud' to show off the models (which I've not seen any evidence of), or the game property doesn't have enough ships for releases ring hollow with me.

Chess and Checkers haven't had new releases. Neither has Go. Yet I can throw a rock into a crowd of people and hit someone who has played those games. Marketing can only go so far before we must yield to the play of the game. I think we've been conditioned as a consumer base to only buy the flashiest widgets out there, only many times to become disappointed at the lack of depth and variety of game play. Hence the reason I'm spreading the word about BSG:SB.

I've no vested interest in convincing anyone to play this. I'm happily sharing the good news that my favorite sci-fi franchise has a top tier tabletop game release. My friends and I will keep buying the product releases as they come, which includes the various versions of ships flown by different characters in from the show, as well as capital ships which are scaled to represent how they look from a distance as they do in the show during the major dogfights. I think that is a refreshingly unique solve to the problem of scale. Glad to see we won't have to buy a different game for that.

For those of you on the fence, know this: The authors have created a set of rules that more accurately represent the physics of vectored space combat better than ANY starship combat game I've played in over 30 years of gaming. And it is a joy to play a game with a strong sense of playable realism. It's so good, I've shelved my notes for a space battle game based on my Brink of Battle skirmish system. They've done everything I had noted to do, so my release would be redundant. ;)

There's my two bits.  ;)
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »

Really? Passive aggressive? I guess you don't understand what enthusiasm looks like.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 05:49:00 PM »
I find the 'not thrilled by the marketing' position interesting. It makes sense to me up to a point. After that the idea that because the company isn't 'proud' to show off the models (which I've not seen any evidence of)...
Have you actually visited the web site?
https://www.aresgames.eu/games/battlestar-galactica-starship-battles-line/battlestar-galactica-spaceship-packs/battlestar-galactica-spaceship-packs-viper-mkii

No other illustrations of the model.

Not inspiring marketing, especially as it has been said they are great models.

As I said earlier in the thread, those that have and enjoy the game should put some photographs on here to show us what we are missing.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:54:38 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »
Had a look through the rules. Basic rules look like they might be interesting to play, apart from the manouver templates. Complete rules look like they'd be more hassle than you'd want from a dogfight game.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 07:46:28 PM »
Dogfighting is entirely about maneuver and position and this has the best system I’ve seen.  There isn’t any additional hassle to this than there is to Xwing, for example, but it is significantly more robust.

While Xwing may be gotten cheaper, the base set doesn’t offer much in the way of a full experience, while this gives you a complete game right from the start.

If it is something you think you’d like, then it is worth checking out.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 11:37:43 PM »
I've had a game of this and I have to say it's a really great experience. It has much more depth than X-Wing, not only in terms of movement (the cards are nice and give much more versatility than the X-Wing dials), but in its whole philosophy. The phases happening simultaneously and not depending on your pilot initiative gives the game another approach. And of course it doesn't rely as much in tremendously skilled pilots as X-Wing does.
The comparison is inevitable, I guess, but being fair and thinking of the game itself, without other elements, I think this BSG is pretty robust and enormously fun. Seriously, give it a try.

EDIT: Sorry if it looks like blatant self-promotion or something, but I've written a quick review, I hope you find it useful:
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com/2019/01/battlestar-galactica-starship-battles.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:37:30 PM by Suber »

Offline gregmita

• Librarian
    • My Gaming Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »
Here is an unboxing video for those curious about close ups of the miniatures. He also has a size comparison with X-Wing minis.

https://youtu.be/1h1MDFD22p8

Too bad the fighters look much bigger than X-Wings. I was hoping to have crossover games.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:00 PM »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
Ooooh, BSG! One of my favorite series! Price is a bit much though.
Checked an unboxing and a quick walkthrough...but the whole thing with the movement templates feel a bit too finicky and a hassle. They are small and seem to move around easy. So not too hot on that one. Any more playing experience from people?
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”