Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:30:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686450
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Is ww1 gaming largely limited to collecting UK and Germany?  (Read 7119 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Is ww1 gaming largely limited to collecting UK and Germany?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »
Paul Hicks did some great-looking stuff for Brigade Games, though they are only useful for the first half of the war.

The stahlhelm was issued later on the Eastern Front than in the West and even then wasn't as widely worn. As the Russian pulled out of the war in 1917, the Brigade Games Austro-Hungarians are over for most of the period.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 10:53:39 PM »
Interesting to hear folks bemoaning the high cost of postage from the US.  Over here, the shoe is often on the other foot.  Only way I could afford the Great War miniatures is that Brigade Games imports them (and cost of postage is therefore cushioned somewhat).  Perhaps Northstar or some other UK company could be induced to import Brigade Games excellent Italian Front figures ?

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
Hang Tuah, Austro-Hungarian supply difficulties resulted in a lot of equipment and uniforms being used throughout the war.  The Brigade Games figures can be used for late war, despite the lack of stahlhelms, simply by painting them in feldgrau rather than pikegrey (although, as I noted, many men continued to wear older uniforms).

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 08:01:28 AM »
Interesting to hear folks bemoaning the high cost of postage from the US.  Over here, the shoe is often on the other foot.  Only way I could afford the Great War miniatures is that Brigade Games imports them (and cost of postage is therefore cushioned somewhat).  Perhaps Northstar or some other UK company could be induced to import Brigade Games excellent Italian Front figures ?

I think quite a few British firms have tried - being an agent for a range requires co-operation on both sides. I do believe there is a pretty strong market for their figures in the UK if they were willing to “play ball”?! I hope they do (eg their RCW figures are quite nifty!).
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 01:35:13 AM »
I think quite a few British firms have tried - being an agent for a range requires co-operation on both sides. I do believe there is a pretty strong market for their figures in the UK if they were willing to “play ball”?! I hope they do (eg their RCW figures are quite nifty!).

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly the owner of Brigade Games were not interested in this sort of cooperation, wanting to focus on the American market. A shame as their Austrians are excellent.

Offline 88D

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly the owner of Brigade Games were not interested in this sort of cooperation, wanting to focus on the American market. A shame as their Austrians are excellent.

That's a real shame if true. He has a lot of ranges like ww2 chinese that you cannot get anywhere else.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 08:43:27 PM »

Yep - that’s what I’d heard but only “second hand” so not sure what the actual facts are.... if true (emphasise the “if”) it’s a great shame. Some of the Paul Hicks sculpts, in particular, are really quite appealing.

Offline Yarkshire Gamer

• Mad Scientist
  • Yarkshire Gamer
    • Yarkshire Gamer
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »

Our little group have played WW1 Mesopotamia and Palestine for years, the area has so much more to offer than the static fronts of other areas of the Conflicts.

Although not massively covered by figure manufacturers The Woodbine Design Company range certainly makes life a lot easier covering the main Ottoman and British Empire troops.

However by looking around at other "nearby" 28mm ranges other units can be made up, I have Highlanders from the Minifigs Ablaze in the East Range, Highlanders, Turkish Cavalry and an Indian Mountain Gun from Empress Jazz Age Imperialism range. British Cavalry from Great War Miniatures (with a Woodbine) head swap. Copplestone have suitable figures as do Brigade. But as you have all pointed out Brigade are so hard to get hold of in the UK.

It's a real shame that the other areas aren't covered as much, I do my best to keep Mesopotamia in the Gaming radar.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer
"Glittering prizes and endless compromises,  shatter the illusion of integrity"
http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Gribb

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2019, 03:30:15 PM »

Our little group have played WW1 Mesopotamia and Palestine for years, the area has so much more to offer than the static fronts of other areas of the Conflicts.

Although not massively covered by figure manufacturers The Woodbine Design Company range certainly makes life a lot easier covering the main Ottoman and British Empire troops.

However by looking around at other "nearby" 28mm ranges other units can be made up, I have Highlanders from the Minifigs Ablaze in the East Range, Highlanders, Turkish Cavalry and an Indian Mountain Gun from Empress Jazz Age Imperialism range. British Cavalry from Great War Miniatures (with a Woodbine) head swap. Copplestone have suitable figures as do Brigade. But as you have all pointed out Brigade are so hard to get hold of in the UK.

It's a real shame that the other areas aren't covered as much, I do my best to keep Mesopotamia in the Gaming radar.

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

Thanks for sharing, its great to see other fronts being  gamed. Woodbine does have some nice figures, and their separate head option provides for quite some variation. Love the scenery and figures, good job at capturing the atmosphere.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 09:46:02 AM »

Regards Ken
The Yarkshire Gamer

That's where I started my 1/72 collection from, with my hordes of Ottomans. Still can't resist buying more cavalry when I go on the early war miniatures website.
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.