Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:02:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686601
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The 1/200th or 10mm dilemma  (Read 1552 times)

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
The 1/200th or 10mm dilemma
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
We were having a Cold war skirmish at the club when I took the chance to set out some samples I had.

We wanted to compare the Skytrex 1/200 scale Cold war range with the Timecast 10mm range.

The Skytrex range certainly compares favourably on price and storage. The figures are actually quite nice although the Chieftain is maybe a bit basic. I reckon it will paint up nicely though.

The Timecast Chieftain is a nice models although not sure about the infantry.
The costs are £2.50 for Skytrex, £5.00 for Timecast and about £7.00 for a Battlefront Team Yankee kit.

I think we are going to wait to see what the new PSC is like model and price wise.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The 1/200th or 10mm dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
Just to verify, are the Skytrex figures the ones on the thick base?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »
Wow, thanks for this.
I have loads of the skytrex 1/200 stuff (as posted before).
I am aware of the new Timecast range.
I had never seen skytrex 1/200 against Timecast 1/144.
There really is a big difference.
Flatpack

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 08:10:48 PM »
Just to verify, are the Skytrex figures the ones on the thick base?

Yes the Skytrex are on the thicker bases. I just thought they would disappear a bit on the steel bases.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
The biggest problem with Skytrex 1/200th is that there is nothing else out there that matches size wise. Which isn't a problem if you can get everything you need from Skytrex.

There are a number of 10mm and 1/144th manufacturers that could be used alongside the timecast models. Which opens up a much bigger range of potential models.

As to 10mm or 15mm - to me it really depends on how many tanks you want on the table! If you want vehicle heavy then 10mm is the way to go, if you are after more of a smaller force on the table then 15mm has advantages with the size of infantry.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
I gleaned from the recent article in WI that the new PSC Cold War stuff will be 1/160 , that will fit in fine with most other stuff but not Skytrex....

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
I gleaned from the recent article in WI that the new PSC Cold War stuff will be 1/160 , that will fit in fine with most other stuff but not Skytrex....
Interesting choice (Non UK/Japan N-Gauge). Will they be doing a deal with a European railway model company to repackage their buildings?

Online flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 07:22:20 AM »
Don’t think there is a need to repackage buildings.
When I went looking earlier this year for n gauge buildings, I was suprised just how much was out there.
If you go on the Timecast web site, as well as selling their own fantastic molded buildings, they also sell a few of the very useful “Fuller” n gauge building sets.
I’ve spoken to the chaps that own Timecast, and they are enthusiastic modern gamers. They sell the Fuller kits, as they have actually built them, and used them in their own games.
Last year, a few mates and myself went to a n gauge model railway show, here in the Midlands.
It was great for brand new, but very importantly “second hand” n gauge buildings.
I bought boxes full of the kit to use as 10mm modern scenery.
It was the only show that I have been too in the last few years, where I actually ran out of spending money. You could say I filled my boots.
It was really good for everything, from building, to civilian vehicles, to trees, and you get ideas from the real railway buffs that make great scenery.
Here’s the type of thing you can do.
Trucks, buses and some of the buildings, are from the n gauge model railway show.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf