Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:31:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Matilda tank :Australian 28mm  (Read 3392 times)

Offline JOHN BOND

• Assistant
Matilda tank :Australian 28mm
« on: December 21, 2018, 05:52:51 AM »

Hi all, this is my first post, its a 28mm Australian Matilda tank based in the Pacific.
Follow the link for more info and pics:
http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com/2018/12/australian-matilda-tank.html
cheers John
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:18:15 PM by JOHN BOND »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Matilda tank :Australian 28mm
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 06:34:23 AM »
Nice! Suitably gunged up.

It could do with some modifications and additions. The Warlord version, which I assume this to be has a cupola that’s too high. Most but not quite all of the Australian Matildas had cut down commanders cupolas. That’s one of the reasons I chose the Tamiya version for mine, it was easier to cut down.

Most of the 2/9 Armoured Regiment Matildas has their rear decks plated over with pierced steel plating/ Marsden matting.  If you are modelling a Matilda for the Borneo campaigns you want PSP on the deck and on the verticle angled plates on the rear sides. Fortunately, you can obtain brass PSP matting from the after market model manufacturers in 1/48.

Other armoured units used steel mesh over the rear.  The Frog flamethrower versions used by the Brigade Recce/ Special Equipment Squadron typically had wire mesh welded to frames over the engine deck. I’ve found that flywire from the local hardware shop does the trick.  Both options allow you to really load up the rear deck with stowage.

Of course, you can ignore all of the above as there were plenty of variants elsewhere. The ones in 2/9 and the Special Eqpt Sqdn seem to have been more standardised in terms of additions.

If you want to go to town on the markings, here’s a handy reference.

http://www.mheaust.com.au/Aust/Research/Matilda/Markings%20WW2.htm

Anyway I like yours and it’s nice to see someone else modelling Aussie armour in this scale. Welcome aboard!
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »
Here’s the Tamiya version with a Eureka digger for scale comparison.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:17:24 AM »
John
Great paint job on your tank.
Looks like a lot of time and effort went into that.

The second tank with all the kit on the back, reminds me of my roof box on the top of my car, when I go on holiday with the wife and kids.
Flatpack

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
Nice job on the Matilda, I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »
Cracking work on those, I do like the look of the old Matildas.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

Hi all, this is my first post, its a 28mm Australian Matilda tank based in the Pacific.
Follow the link for more info and pics:
http://iagsmgm.blogspot.com/2018/12/australian-matilda-tank.html
cheers John

Great work there, gives me some inspiration to get mine done  :D

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 01:46:34 PM »
…  this is my first post...

you're certainly coming out of the gate at full pace!

nice blog, too.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »
Uber grungy, but I like it. Looking forward to seeing more  :)

The second tank with all the kit on the back, reminds me of my roof box on the top of my car, when I go on holiday with the wife and kids.

Yes, I do wonder about a heap of loose, apparently untethered stowage. Wouldn’t it all just slide off the back as soon as the tank starts to drive over any uneven ground? Or even as soon as it starts to move?
I’m sticking to strapped-on or tied-on stowage only on my most recent AFVs...

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
Wow!  That tank looks awesome...great work on the weathering. 

I'm doing an ANZAC group and I'm curious what tank markings make it a digger tank?  I have some decals for New Zealand and Aussies, to make it happen...just a bit difficult to find and real markings...if any.

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
A beauty of a tank John!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 10:20:21 PM »
Uber grungy, but I like it. Looking forward to seeing more  :)

Yes, I do wonder about a heap of loose, apparently untethered stowage. Wouldn’t it all just slide off the back as soon as the tank starts to drive over any uneven ground? Or even as soon as it starts to move?
I’m sticking to strapped-on or tied-on stowage only on my most recent AFVs...

Yeah, I thought about adding ropes but Marsden matting features little holes, hence its more descriptive name of ‘pierced steel planking. Bed roll ties and the like could be passed through the holes. On the whole I think you are right though and I should tether the ammo boxes and crates. I’ll get round it some day.

Here’s the inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:25:06 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:47 PM »
Wow!  That tank looks awesome...great work on the weathering. 

I'm doing an ANZAC group and I'm curious what tank markings make it a digger tank?  I have some decals for New Zealand and Aussies, to make it happen...just a bit difficult to find and real markings...if any.

Thanks.

It’s not so much the markings as the additions. Australian Matildas featured different tracks to those found in the desert, guards at the track front and spare lengths of track welded to the hull. These are not features seen on British versions. Descriptions of them suggest a darker paint being used in the latter part of the war, although the photos of mine are darker than they appear normally. Shit photo and overcast, late afternoon here.

For markings see the link in my earlier post. You can scrabble most of the unit, formation and bridge markings from existing sets by Company B, Rubicon etc but the red fording marks you have to add yourself. A Gundam marker or red gel pen is handy here. I buggered mine and then muddied them in an attempt to hide it.

Offline JOHN BOND

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 11:48:31 PM »
Thanks all for your comments :), Carlos, I wished I have know about the reduced cupola before painting the tank, I was considering also adding the storage and metal onto of the engine bay but I was in a bit of a hurry to finish the vehicle.
I did however make some small adjustments: changed the colour of the commanders beret to a brown colour and  the number in the square insignia from a 4 to a 7, which I am thankful for John and TasminP .

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 12:30:15 AM »

Yeah, I thought about adding ropes but Marsden matting features little holes, hence its more descriptive name of ‘pierced steel planking. Bed roll ties and the like could be passed through the holes. On the whole I think you are right though and I should tether the ammo boxes and crates. I’ll get round it some day.

Here’s the inspiration.

And once the bottom few bits are strapped on, the rest can probably be safely lobbed onto the back, safely held back so they can't slide off.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter