Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dungeon Degenerates - Update Feb 17  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
Dungeon Degenerates - Update Feb 17
« on: December 21, 2018, 06:31:25 AM »
Might I really be the first to post their Dungeon Degenerates here?  :D This game rocks!

There has never been a game that is more up my alley and I am pretty excited as their turn comes up here in the painting queue. Here is the first batch, the core box degenerates and several of the monsters. When I'm back from visiting the family over Christmas will have a few more days until I go back to work, and hoping to make a strong inroad.

I based them on 32mm bases (they are huge) and felt that extending existing base texture of the castings was the way to go. Took some time to do as you see here with a greenstuff/milliput/fimo mix but worth it. They're primed black from the underside and white from the top (and I know, you can't see in the pics but I know it make a huge difference), to get a strong contrast for replicating the card art. Will start by doing further black lining and making the whites even whiter for the strongest color possible. I'm pretty geared up to go full throttle with the color intensity as I've never had an excuse to do! ;D

Any other owners or fans of this awesome game?

Also want to mention that creator Sean Aaberg had a bad stroke recently and there's a fundraiser going. https://www.gofundme.com/help-for-sean-aaberg-and-family I was following his art for years before Dungeon Degenerates and he's something of a home town hero for me (Oakland, California). As I've been working on this project, it's not just window dressing for me to say he's in my thoughts often. Wishing him a speedy recovery.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:15:54 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dungeon Degenerates - Here we go!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
And in case you've never seen the art, here a few samples for context, and there are hundreds more where these came from, just google.  :)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
Oh dear, a stroke! 
I was wondering the other day why I haven't seen any news lately, I figured it had to do with FB algorhytms.
Hope he gets well soon.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline m4jumbo

• Scientist
    • Terrain Specialties Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 12:03:08 AM »
i don't know anything about the game, but I always enjoy checking out your work so I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Now I'll have to go look into the game.
So many games, so little time.
-----------------------------------
http://z15.invisionfree.com/Terrain_Specialties/index.php?act=idx

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 12:53:14 AM »
I very nearly backed this on kickstarter. I loved the punky/skater meshed with oldschool fantasy style art.

Will be following this thread with interest to see how you get on with the figures!

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 03:18:34 PM »
What a wonderful collection of delightfully bizarre characters. The level of personality achieve is truly remarkable. FANTASTIC STUFF!
I am sure you will have fun painting them all!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 05:02:41 PM »
@DeafNala, Sir_Theo, glad you are interested and I'll keep you posted. I started on the bog conjuror yesterday and is looking good. I also found the paint I need to order, some Vallejo model color fluorescent! Man, figuring out what Vallejo paint to get is tough... they make 4 or 5 "magenta" paints alone, between the Game Color, Model Color, Air, Mecha ranges, etc. Never thought magenta would be the most used paint on a project!   ;D I have a little something else planned too but will wait until I test it out to make sure it will work.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dungeon Degenerates - Primed and WIP, Jan 3
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 02:52:01 AM »
Started the first two with brush and paints I had on hand as I awaited an order of new fluorescent paints.

You can see what a difference from other things I'm painting! Anything I've ever painted, for that matter!  lol

Yesterday the paints arrived, shown here with some others I'm using:

Today I got out the airbrush and went to work on basecoats, and the results exceeded my expectations!  :)

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
Re: Dungeon Degenerates - Basecoats and WIP, Jan 3
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 04:41:04 AM »
These are great. I just bought myself a set after seeing this thread. Marvelous stuff. Also, where that 2 headed sabertooth from...?

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
What a deliciously bizarre collection of figs.  :-* And the pjs match. Excellent.

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
It's like the original Talisman from back in the day...but on acid! I love the look of Dungeon Degenerates I seriously hope it becomes available in the UK. At the moment the postage from the U.S  is way too high.
"Morning!"

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
These are great. I just bought myself a set after seeing this thread. Marvelous stuff. Also, where that 2 headed sabertooth from...?

Awesome, I hope you post them!  :) The sabertooth cerebus is from Malifaux, some of my other favorites made today.

What a deliciously bizarre collection of figs.  :-* And the pjs match. Excellent.
Thanks and glad you agree!

It's like the original Talisman from back in the day...but on acid!

Hah, you nailed it exactly! What could be better?  :D Speak of the devil, Talisman is another of my pet projects (https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/search/label/Talisman), and my family, in their grace, indulged me in a game over the holiday break, despite the rumors of how shoddy the rules are. We didn't finish (of course) but I was wholly satisfied with the experience because Talisman, much like true-life, is a journey, not a destination.  lol On the other hand, I am happy to say that Dungeon Degenerates rules are awesome, and have my seal of approval (though I haven't actually played yet). There are a number of reviews out there that also attest to it, though.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:01:56 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
Re: Dungeon Degenerates - Update Feb 17
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Here's where I am with these. Only adjustments on these pics was to exposure, none to color, saturation, vibrance, clarity, etc.. In the group shot, they are in order of % complete, done on the left. Getting there... another push or two.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:23:38 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
ha - brilliantly done. they look great.

Offline tjub

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 03:54:01 PM »
Wow, wonderful painting! Im a huge fan of the game as well, mainly the art though. :)