Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:23:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Harry Potter miniatures game  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
Harry Potter miniatures game
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
Started on the miniatures from the game box.

Offline Kit Walker

• Student
Re: Harry Potter miniatures game
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 06:24:57 PM »
Did you have any problems with breakage? I had to replace almost all the wands on any figure that had a hand extended holding the wand. Also the Hermione figure broke several times while cleaning before priming and painting. The Bellatrix figure was also difficult to prep. Overall the sculpting is fantastic but resin used seems brittle. Not sure I want to have a lot of handling while gaming. May just use for display. Just curious about your experience.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
The flash on some of them was awful too. They're nice sculpts but the material is going to take some getting used to.

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
Did you have any problems with breakage? I had to replace almost all the wands on any figure that had a hand extended holding the wand. Also the Hermione figure broke several times while cleaning before priming and painting. The Bellatrix figure was also difficult to prep. Overall the sculpting is fantastic but resin used seems brittle. Not sure I want to have a lot of handling while gaming. May just use for display. Just curious about your experience.
No breakage as delivered, managed to break one deatheater wand while putting them away due to clumsiness. I agree the resin is brittle.
The flash on some of them was awful too. They're nice sculpts but the material is going to take some getting used to.
Almost no flash on the models i recieved, luck I guess..

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
I have not seen the Harry Potter figures in the resin, I have seen the DC figures (Team Flash is stalled in my paint queue), I assume it is the same resin?

It reminded me of the Citadel Finecast stuff, which I found very brittle.

They are very nice looking sculpts, just concerned about their practicallity.

Offline Harry von Fleischmann

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
Having just read the last books I’ll admit I was curious but was put off by poor reviews of the rules and alleged issues with the figures. The price meant it had to have no weak points.

I have been wondering though about “Harry Potter inspired” games in 28mm. Careful selection of figures is required (eg a wand added to one of the Ripper St style detectives gives you a wizard stuck in the fashion of the 1890s and I spotted a figure or two from Lucid Eye that might work for a Sirius Black style (also crooked dice). Death Eaters could be your cultists (esp the Frostgrave) but I’m a bit stuck on say Bellatrix Lestrange - this isn’t about exact matches just close enough.

Also idle curiousity as to whether anyone else is doing this?

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 02:13:14 PM »
I've assembled most of the first wave with just the bigger models left. For the most part the quality is good, not infinity level, but the cleanup didn't take too long.

A couple had broken wands on arrival and I've also broken one by accident. I'm thinking of doing a tutorial on how to attach a new wand with a pin and greenstuff as whilst it's not too difficult there are a couple of tricks that I think help with the process.

Once they are prepped they do look fantastic. Just don't drop them.

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 05:14:36 PM »
How do they go size wise? I’m presuming that they are well past 28mm?

Offline opponenttheory

• Scientist
    • My blog about painting
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
I would say 35mm. I think KM have used the kids, which are mostly 35mm, as the base size and everything else is scaled accordingly. The adults are closer to 40mm.

So, yeah, they're pretty big.

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 07:36:15 PM »
That’s tall! And that’s me looking for 28mm figures that’ll “do”.

I think I’ve sorted Sirius Black but if anyone has an idea for a Bellatrix figure I’d be grateful!

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:48 PM »
My attempt at a “Sirius Black” using the Regal Compere from Lucid Eye. I lost the pistol and used a perry scabbard for a wand. I kept the wine glass because, why not? Perhaps it’s an artefact....