Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: adhesing sheet styrene to "not" watercolor paper  (Read 644 times)

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
adhesing sheet styrene to "not" watercolor paper
« on: December 21, 2018, 09:10:37 PM »
any suggestion on the correct adhesive?

i'm leaning to double-side carpet tape.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Re: adhesing sheet styrene to "not" watercolor paper
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 12:30:58 AM »
Over time, the adhesive on that tape will migrate through the paper and discolour the surface.

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 01:19:09 AM »
the paper will be the underlayment. it's adhered to multi-media board, braced with wood framing, & overlayed with watercolor paper sealed both sides with mod-podge. I thought the styrene sheet, I figured .020 would be a good thickness, would be sufficient to retard a "cool" adhesive (versus a contact-type hot solvent cement).

spray contact cement has been suggested, but those cans historically have been a one time use for me. I never seem to get the nozzle clear enough to spray a week or two later, and it's a bit costly for a single use.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »
RE: your spray-can problem, in the shop where I work we keep a small jar of mineral spirits in the cupboard next to the cans of spray adhesive. After you're done using a can, you pop the spray head off and drop it into the jar of MS. That way, the spray heads are always clean and all you need to do when you need to spray-mount a drawing to a blank is to fish out a head, pop it on the can and you're assured of good flow. We maybe use spray adhesive once a week, and cans last for months - and they DO last.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline tom q vaxy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
thanks for the tip. I enjoy spray adhesive and its even application quality so this is encouragement to give it another try.

for this project, I settled with 3M transfer tape as I found a roll in the chest. I've had good luck with it before, especially using Campbell's Models roofing shingles. they come with water activated adhesive which if used, makes the project go on forever since the surface needs to be weighted until dry to avoid curling.