Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:50:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690787
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Options for Fantasy Knight Models?  (Read 2314 times)

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
Options for Fantasy Knight Models?
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »
I'm in the market for some mounted/dismounted fantasy knights for use with The Dolorous Stroke rules. Since the Warhammer Fantasy Bretonnians are no longer in production I'm not sure what options there are. I'm aware of the Fireforge and Perry plastics, but it seems kind of silly to buy those if I'm only going to use a couple models out of the whole kit. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Options for Fantasy Knight Models?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:40:57 PM »
Claymore Castings have some excellent knight material in their French Crecy range.

Offline Loop

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:47:44 PM »
You can easily get single sprues from most the the latest plastic sets on eBay. It’s great for kitbashes.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:53:19 PM »
Wargames Foundry (and the Casting Room spin off) have extensive ranges of Medieval Knights both mounted and dismounted.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 11:08:40 PM »
Very old sculpts, but you might take a look at the range by Essex miniatures. They really are very nice, have lots of character, and many come in mounted and dismounted poses; they also paint up very well and are sold singly. So like I say, worth a look!

https://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/collections/25mm-medieval-later-period

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 01:09:42 AM »
I've been using old Citadel chaos warriors for TDS. The older, solid-based Perry ones (like the blue one in the picture below) are sufficiently restrained to work as generic knights with a fantastical twist. The green one is more outré, I'll grant you!

As someone else pointed out a while ago, this guy is similar to Uther Pendragon in Boorman's Excalibur:

Obviously, he and his ilk are long out of production, but they're to be had for 'contemporary value' on eBay.

Offline fitterpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Maryland, U.S.A.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 02:11:41 AM »
Front Rank , sold singly.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 03:48:27 AM »
Steel Fist miniatures do some great knights.

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 04:23:10 AM »
I’d second the “buy a single sprue of plastic Perry’s off eBay”.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 04:29:20 AM »
2 years ago, I would totally have pushed you towards the Thunderbolt Mountain range.  Maybe eBay?

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline casual tea

• Bookworm
    • instagram.com/dlyanf
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 05:43:40 AM »
Wargames Foundry (and the Casting Room spin off) have extensive ranges of Medieval Knights both mounted and dismounted.

My concern with the really old ranges like this and Essex is that they will look too out of place on my table. Shame, because they really do have everything. Love those Warmonger Miniatures orcs, tho

Steel Fist miniatures do some great knights.

Wow! They really do! Those helmet plumes are fantastic!

2 years ago, I would totally have pushed you towards the Thunderbolt Mountain range.  Maybe eBay?

I know!! I bought some stuff from them right before they shut down, I remember seeing the whole gang of Arthurian knights mounted and on foot!

Thank you all for the nice suggestions. Scavenging some perry or gw stuff off ebay seems like the best bet, so I'll start there. Great idea to look for single sprues, I hadn't thought of that. Those steel fist italian knights are quite tempting as well...

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 08:34:21 AM »
There’s a specific seller - who I can’t remember the name of - that has almost all the sprues for sale in a multi listing. You just pick the one you want.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »
I was going to suggest the old Citadel Chaos stuff that Hobgoblin recommended. They're not overtly Chaotic in many cases so would work well as fantasy knights. If you want more regular Knights then the Front Rank or Perry suggestions are very good. I don't have any Steel Fist Knights but they look very good.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 09:36:25 AM »
The old Grenadier Fantasy Warriors-Fighting Men range are perfect fantasy knights. Now sold by Mirliton, Forlorn Hope miniatures used to sell them in the UK also Miniature -Heros

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
I don't have a use for knights in general but from some of the manufacturers I use I have seen some nice figures from Mirliton, Black Tree Designs and Gamezone.