Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690808
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley -- Hidalgo Fire  (Read 1776 times)

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Pulp Alley -- Hidalgo Fire
« on: December 22, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »
We've been very busy playtesting our 2nd Edition Pulp Alley rules! -- youtube.com/c/pulpalley

More to come!

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
Re: Pulp Alley -- Hidalgo Fire
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 12:06:10 AM »
Wonderful pictures. Is this going to be the next video? I don't see it posted yet.
A.Nik-

Offline Bessy

• Scientist
  • Namaste Mofo
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
This is definitely worth a watch to see the second edition rules in action!!!

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:20:41 AM »
Looking at the pictures of the cards for the two leagues, was there a reason that Dr. Fang had more "points" so to speak in his league? Old Phantom Ace has two sidekicks with him, while the nefarious Dr. Fang has a sidekick, 4 allies, and 2 followers. Regardless, it was a great video and I can't wait for part 2!

Offline Menelduir

• Scientist
  • Pulp Alley Phantom Agent
    • Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 03:33:11 AM »
Dr Fang does have commander, Ace does not, so the 'extra' points do work from that point.

I have a player who likes to do the leader and two sidekicks, can be powerful, but they often do not have enough characters to accomplish all they need/want to do. (then again who does... :D)

Oh and Dave great to see Phantom Ace in action, and great to see one of the first scenarios I ever played again!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:34:43 AM by Menelduir »
For more gaming stuff feel free to check out my blogs:
General blog: Rants and Ramblings of an Unfocused Gamer @ http://menelduir.blogspot.ca/
Painting/building blog @ https://menelduirspainting.blogspot.com/
VSF related blog @ https://vsfadventuresofmenelduir.blogspot.com/

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 02:19:25 PM »
Ooh, Dave looks to be in trouble. I'm still learning the rules, but small leagues seem pretty tough to play - not enough characters to get things done with a tendency to get ground down by the larger number of mooks on the other side.

Still holding out for Phantom Ace, though, and looking forward to Part II!

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 02:22:15 PM »
Dr Fang does have commander, Ace does not, so the 'extra' points do work from that point.

I have a player who likes to do the leader and two sidekicks, can be powerful, but they often do not have enough characters to accomplish all they need/want to do. (then again who does... :D)

Oh and Dave great to see Phantom Ace in action, and great to see one of the first scenarios I ever played again!

Ah so he does. I had not noticed the Commander ability. Thanks.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 01:50:14 PM »

I have found that one of the quirks of a small league is that you can't afford to roll bad. When you have lots of characters, a few bad rolls won't matter. But when you only have three characters, a few bad rolls can really hurt.  lol

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Great finish for part 2.
I noticed that in play testing the second edition rules all perils are played from the deck.
So does that mean you can't play a peril from your hand against another player.
If that is so, you might want to rethink that.
One of the things I love about the rules,
is throwing down that perfect card to foil your enemy.
I know you want to speed up play for multiplayer games
and it takes time for the players to read their cards and play them.
Just my two cents worth.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 03:31:07 PM »
Great finish for part 2.
I noticed that in play testing the second edition rules all perils are played from the deck.
So does that mean you can't play a peril from your hand against another player.
If that is so, you might want to rethink that.
One of the things I love about the rules,
is throwing down that perfect card to foil your enemy.
I know you want to speed up play for multiplayer games
and it takes time for the players to read their cards and play them.
Just my two cents worth.

There are some abilities that still allow you to play perils from your hand, but normally perils are drawn from the top of the deck. Note that the term "extreme peril" has been removed from 2nd Edition, so there is one type of peril.

This was a tough decision and we didn't make the change lightly. In addition, it was an area that some players struggled with understanding. Personally I like the old mechanic, but it came down to was it really adding enough? And was it worth the extra trouble and time?

Compared to other games, Pulp Alley gives players far more meaningful choices, options, and things to do - being Director, choosing which skill to use in a fight, deciding when to block, and so on.

I'll admit that we were fairly reluctant to try the new rule, but we're glad we did. It plays so much better and frees up players to use their cards for other things. We've been using the new rules for nearly 6 months, and I enjoy the new way much better.  :D

That doesn't mean you have to start using the new way, but I'd definitely encourage players to try it and see if they like it better.  ;)