Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:03:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690796
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Books about medieval cities.  (Read 2592 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Books about medieval cities.
« on: December 23, 2018, 04:53:50 AM »
CHANGED THREAD TITLE.
edit. I'm after some books about medieval cities now. I've used a few castle ones to create my own 3d printed castle and next I have an idea to build some buildings to populate the interior of some city walls. So if anyone knows of some good books that have plenty of illustrations showing a variety of aspects of medieval city life and architecture. I'd be very grateful.

Original thread text.
Hi, I'm after a good book about castles that has lots of illustrations that I can help me design a 3d printable castle. It will be aimed at the fantasy market but obviously the best source material will be from actual real life castles. I know I can find tonnes of material online but I do like to have a book to look through when doing this kind of thing.
Basically I'm after lots of pictures of various real life castles and descriptions about the different parts of the castle and their function. I'm after a book more for adults than children but if it is a great book for kids, as I'm sure there are some out there then I'm open to that as well. I'm looking for curently in print books that I can easily access.

Thanks

Kieran
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:15:36 AM by beefcake »

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
Re: Books about castles?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:45:26 AM »
Hello,

I can recommend the Medieval Castle manual, it  focuses on the recreated gudelon castle but features other castles as well.

It has a ton of pictures and goes into all the little details of how a castle was built, from stone work down to even the little hinges on doors!

It is done in the style of a haynes manual. I think you will be able to get a lot of inspiration from it to bring your castles to life.

The link is for Amazon but if you are in the UK try a works store as I picked up mine for 6 pound a couple of months ago

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Medieval-Castle-Manual-Haynes-Manuals/dp/1785211471&ved=2ahUKEwjTuoeyuLXfAhUWRBUIHa9qDDQQFjAIegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw3flefBPEkOWZJ4szJtCnjL&cshid=1545550539989

Kind regards, Alex

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:55:41 AM »
Thanks Alex. That looks good. Available on book depository too so free shipping worldwide, which usually applies to me.

Offline Garanhir

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »
There are plenty of good diagrams and drawings in Francois Matarasso's "The English Castle" it's narrow in focus, only looking at England for the most part, but thorough in its treatment.
A life without festivity is a long road without an inn.
-Democritus

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 04:42:08 AM »

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:35:24 PM »
If your'e after some info on archtectural details with lots of line drawings and ground plans then the Observer book of Castles is pretty good - got me an A in my Architecure O Level (only A I got mind you); and you can't go wrong for £3....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=observers+book+of+castles&index=stripbooks&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_1rcl9tbu4k_e&adgrpid=53066365397&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259101607829&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14487389781424110559&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=20339&hvtargid=kwd-316437557704

Offline TaltosVT

• Bookworm
    • Lost in The Grants
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 12:49:34 AM »
"Castle" by David Macaulay might be worth checking out.  He outlines the building of a castle from the time the ground is laid out till the fortress is finished.  His illustrations are pretty amazing.  This was the book that first got me interested seriously in architecture.

-Elroy

"The gods of the valley are not the gods of the hills, and you shall understand it." ~Ethan Allen

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:26 AM »
A really over looked source is the Shire publications ranges.
There's literally books to cover the contents of the kictchen. To the gargoyles and lead on the roof.
They're easy to pick up and are great gateway paperbacks as they've really good bibliographys .
You'll all sorts of weird subjects you just never new existed but you'll suddenly find a need for.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 01:27:49 AM »
Osprey has a lot of titles covering various categories.

And I took a lot of pictures at the building site of Guédelon in 2016 (don't know if any of them are useful for your purposes):
https://argonor-wargames.blogspot.com/search/label/Gu%C3%A9delon
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 03:41:29 AM »
Thanks all for the replies. Some great pictures there Argonor. It's given me some ideas about some smaller piece to add. I've now also purchased 3 books on castles, which I'm sure, once I'm done with them, my son will love flicking through the pages.

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
I like "The Medieval Fortress" by Kaufmann

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 10:41:23 AM »
Sorry, late to this party
I find Castles of Britain and Europe-by DW LÍbal very good and balanced albeit a big coffee table book.  Japanese Castles by  Motoo Hinago great inspiration and detail, Deutsche Burgen-the Blue Book series,  Die Schlösser des südtirols and Lastly, Castles, by Sidney toy

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
Thanks both. That Japanese one might be useful for the future. :)

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 07:20:30 AM »
Thanks both. That Japanese one might be useful for the future. :)

I picked it up about 25 years ago in America but have seen it on ebay in the Uk.

Stephen