Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Battle of the Mauriac Plain  (Read 829 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Battle of the Mauriac Plain
« on: December 25, 2018, 04:42:02 AM »
10 mm action. Romans are a mix of Pendraken, Newlines, and a few Steve Barber; Huns the same with some Magister Militum. Flavius Aetius played by my wife, still smirking about her victory at 1st Newbury last week; barbarian alliance commanded by your humble narrator.

I trusted to my Gepid charge to sweep away the Roman right, which was strung out with Franks leading, and the Ioviani Seniores lagging behind. Sadly, the Franks were tougher than expected. Even more sadly, Theoderic was leading his Visigoths around my left in support of the Romans, and arrived at just the right time; a heart-stopping moment.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:03:51 AM by FierceKitty »
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Battle of the Mauriac Plain
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 05:03:09 AM »
Fortunately for the Huns, Theoderic's cavalry ended up chasing light skirmishers for the rest of the battle. The Gepids were still destroyed when a unit of the better quality Roman foot took them in flank, but things were happening in the centre...

... where our Sarmatians took the Roman horse in their flank while they were attempting to do the same to Daddy, aka the Wrath of God, as he led the Hun HC against the catafracti. Decisive. Aetius heroically led his German guards into the fight, and they survived being nutcrackered by the Huns, but when the dust cleared, the Hunnic right had taken full advantage of the refused Roman left wing (dangerous tactic against an enemy strong in LC), and had rolled up another Palatine legion and the auxiliary archers, and were eagerly approaching the Imperial camp. Roman morale cracked up at this point.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 05:07:08 AM by FierceKitty »