Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:44:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690466
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Syrian Campaign Puzzler - how to depict British Yeomanry Cavalry (mounted)  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
I'm hopeful someone has a few helpful pointers.

I'm started to get interested in wargaming the 1941 Syrian campaign. Lots of interesting units especially from the French army of the Levant. I can already field much of the Commonwealth contingent for the Australian thrust except the reserve of the Cheshire Yeomanry. They are essentially pith helmeted horse mounted cavalry from what I've seen.

I game in 1/72 or 20mm and the only cavalry figures I can find so far in any form (metal/resin/plastic) is a Strelets plastic set of late WWI British cavalry which are all helmeted. I'd be thinking about replacing at least some of the heads/hats with pith helmets from another Strelets set - looking at union of South Africa set.

Has anyone done this or is there a manufacturer who makes these figures to save me the trouble? I'm open to suggestions.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Syrian Campaign Puzzler - how to depict British Yeomanry Cavalry (mounted)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
The Cheshire Museum has Yeoman uniform artifacts from the Syria Campaign and depicts the troopers in standard steel helmets.

In the first picture here:
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/cheshire-yeomanry.html

See also the b/w image showing 3 riders in Syria, one in steel helmet and two in caps.

Offline lou passejaire

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »
go for the correct scale  ;)

Michael Perry sculpted some cavalry , but 28mm :

best choice is to try to find some ww1 Middle East ANZAC cavalry , and some headswap ...

i have evidence of horse mounted Yeomanry in Syria in sun helmet ... and always in short sleeves shirt .
Dans les situations critiques, quand on parle avec un calibre bien en pogne, personne ne conteste plus. Y'a des statistiques là-dessus.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 12:27:28 PM »
Regarding the Perry metals, they actually do sets both with regular helmets and with the solar topees.

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 05:47:39 AM »
Thanks for the links. I may still do a few helmet conversions but it's now not so desperate. Thanks also for the Perry references.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 06:51:47 AM »
Unlike the Perry figures, the real Yeomanry's head gear was not moulded in place and could be changed as per Regimental daily orders.

The topee gave better protection against the sun than the SD Cap, but the cap was more comfortable and was worn as often as possible. Neither offered protection against shrapnel and the battle bowler was worn in action, or when it was perceived to be imminent or likely.

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
Have you checked HaT?
They do several WWI sets (Aussie Light Horse, British and French cavalry) which might fit uniform-wise, and their British WWI artillery crew set has spare heads with Pith helmets. They also do an infantry set in Pith helmets if you want to chop off their heads instead.
Aris K.

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
What about IT figures? They've got a limited range of WWI cavalry, though sadly none are in shirtsleeves:

Another route would be to use Early War Miniatures' Australian Light Horsemen with headswaps from the British range: